Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 what grain are you using on whitetails >

what grain are you using on whitetails

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

what grain are you using on whitetails

Old 12-07-2007, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what grain are you using on whitetails

This season a 300 grain XTP mag in front of 100 gr. Pyrodex R/S.
I've found it's more important to place the bullet accurately and that's what this rifle likes best.
I've used several weights and brands over the years and I've found about any good quality bullet placed in the right spot will drop one quickly. But the best bullet made placed in the wrong spot leaves a wounded deer running off.
(Disclaimer - The one exception to my rule was the buck a buddy shot under and took off two legs with a Barnes Expander MZ, took another shot to finish it, but it didn't go anywhere [&:])
Old 12-07-2007, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Allseasonhunter7

im just wondering what others are using on whitetails out there .50cals. for shots under 100yds

list the grain and sabot+ the powder charge
1. Savage 10ML2 44g of 5744 Smokeless Powder with an MMP12 Sabot, 275g Parker Ballistic Extreme (discard supplied sabot too loose), Winchester Primer

2. TC Omega, 100g loose 777, 300g Nosler Partition PP Hand Gun bullet, Crushed rib sabot, Winchester Primer

3. Knight Disc, 100g loose 777, 300g Nosler Partition PP Hand Gun bullet, Crushed rib sabot, Winchester Primer

4.TC Hawken Flintlock, 80 of loose 3f Goex powder, crushed rib sabot, Speer Gold Dot 300g Jacket Pistol bullet.

300g bullets have higher BC, retain more energy down range, shoot thru a big deer, will break shoulder and get into vitals, 250s and lighter don't >>>always<<< shoot thru, you want expansion AND shoot thru for tracking, you want 0 fragmentation and near 100% weight retention---therefore a stronger bullet, that expands to 2x if possible---Noslers do that, Gold Dot do that, Barnes do that. Parker Ballistic Extreme seem to do that--they are accurate as heck.

Chap Gleason
Old 12-07-2007, 06:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just be careful to match the structure of the bullet and the speed it was designed for to the velocity ypur getting. For instance a 200 gr 50/40 Shock Wave does good at 1700 to 2200 fps while a 245 gr PB does good from 1200 to 1500 fps a 295 gr Sabortooth 1400 to 1800 fps a 250gr Gold Dot is good from 1500 to 1900 a 250 gr Shock Wave is good for 1600 to 1900 the 300 gr XTP, Shock Wave and gold Dot are good from 1800 to what ever you can get. These are approxmate from my experance,but they are the working range I have worked out for my own use.I am sure you get the idea. Lee
Old 12-07-2007, 06:53 PM
Typical Buck

I have a Knight original disc and I use a 300 grain Lightfield bullet over 120 grains of American Pioneer Jim Shockey Gold powder.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Allseasonhunter7

im just wondering what others are using on whitetails out there .50cals. for shots under 100yds

list the grain and sabot+ the powder charge

CVA Wolf: 300gr Barnes Expander, 100-110gr APP, Rem Cleanbore Primer
Old 12-08-2007, 04:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Knight Revolution & I shoot 80 grs of 777 & 240 gr Dead Center bullet.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

Just be careful to match the structure of the bullet and the speed it was designed for to the velocity ypur getting. For instance a 200 gr 50/40 Shock Wave does good at 1700 to 2200 fps while a 245 gr PB does good from 1200 to 1500 fps a 295 gr Sabortooth 1400 to 1800 fps a 250gr Gold Dot is good from 1500 to 1900 a 250 gr Shock Wave is good for 1600 to 1900 the 300 gr XTP, Shock Wave and gold Dot are good from 1800 to what ever you can get. These are approxmate from my experance,but they are the working range I have worked out for my own use.I am sure you get the idea. Lee
Great info Lee. What we really need is the reloaders book for MLer (Like the Barnes or Nosler Reloading Manual for CF rifles) that lists bullets appropiate for MLer and their design characteristcs, BC, SD, code for size of game, etc. Does the Lyman Reloaders manaual do all that? Chap Gleason
Old 12-08-2007, 02:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Chap
Reloaders manuals, give speeds in relation to a certain cartridge and diamentions for bullets ect. But no info on the actual velocity range of the bullets, certain co. give out some charts I used to have some when we had the shop but they dont match up with muzzleloader velocities.
My info is worked up from shooting a couple of tests like wet newspapers with a leather front and back set up about the theckness of a nice size bucks body; then taken into the field and tried on deer, myself and several friends have been doing this for years, we dont always like the same thing even when we get the same results[ just like here] I want bang flop because sometimes I like to hunt public land [even though I have my own] my buddie wants passthroughs even if it means doing a bit of tracking so he uses heavier bullets as a rule. Lee
Old 12-08-2007, 06:02 PM
Fork Horn

In my CVA Optima Pro I am shooting 100 grains loose 777 and a 260 grain .451 Nosler partition HP with an MMP sabot and a Winchester primer. It's the most devistating thing i have seen out of all of the deer I have killed with any weapon i have ever used. I just shot a doe tonight with that combo and it looked like a crime scene. Exit wound was about the size of a quarter.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

Chap
Reloaders manuals, give speeds in relation to a certain cartridge and diamentions for bullets ect. But no info on the actual velocity range of the bullets, certain co. give out some charts I used to have some when we had the shop but they dont match up with muzzleloader velocities.
My info is worked up from shooting a couple of tests like wet newspapers with a leather front and back set up about the theckness of a nice size bucks body; then taken into the field and tried on deer, myself and several friends have been doing this for years, we dont always like the same thing even when we get the same results[ just like here] I want bang flop because sometimes I like to hunt public land [even though I have my own] my buddie wants passthroughs even if it means doing a bit of tracking so he uses heavier bullets as a rule. Lee
Lee, Thanks for the info. I am with your buddy, I want passthroughs. I use heavy bullets, like 300g Nosler Partitions Hand Gun. Thanks Chap

Quick Reply: what grain are you using on whitetails

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.