HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   dilema (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/221324-dilema.html)

gleason.chapman 12-07-2007 06:22 AM

RE: dilema

ORIGINAL: cayugad

He should be just fine since the rifle is scoped. Although make sure he only shoots high percentage broadside shots. He should be fine if he aims center mass on a broadside shot. Also watch him so he does not get too excited and pull the shot. He only gets one chance.

I done this with a nephew one year when I took him hunting. He was so excited when this little buck walked out, I had to tell him to calm down. I could see he was about ready to burst. Finally I told him the deer out in the field was not going to be a target. He looked shocked. It was a little four pointer. I told him he could practice sight pictures though. So I had him aim the iron sights on the Renegade on a broadside shot. I then told him to cock the rifle and hit the set trigger, but not to fire the rifle as this was all practice. When I asked if he was aimed dead on, he said he was. So I told him hold your sight picture, and touch the trigger with his finger and just take the slack off it for practice. When the rifle fired, he was surprised. he looked at me with this strange look and I told him.. did you hit it or not. When he looked out in the woods and saw that deer laying there, he did not know what to say until I congratulated him on a fine shot. He then handed me the rifle and told me his knees would not work for him to stand. We still laugh about that when I see him.
Amen, great story. Chap

HeavyDutyWonk 12-07-2007 10:26 PM

ORIGINAL: cayugad
I done this with a nephew one year when I took him hunting. He was so excited when this little buck walked out, I had to tell him to calm down. I could see he was about ready to burst. Finally I told him the deer out in the field was not going to be a target. He looked shocked. It was a little four pointer. I told him he could practice sight pictures though. So I had him aim the iron sights on the Renegade on a broadside shot. I then told him to cock the rifle and hit the set trigger, but not to fire the rifle as this was all practice. When I asked if he was aimed dead on, he said he was. So I told him hold your sight picture, and touch the trigger with his finger and just take the slack off it for practice. When the rifle fired, he was surprised. he looked at me with this strange look and I told him.. did you hit it or not. When he looked out in the woods and saw that deer laying there, he did not know what to say until I congratulated him on a fine shot. He then handed me the rifle and told me his knees would not work for him to stand. We still laugh about that when I see him.
Great story, reminds me of something my father would have done to me growing up. It took a great many years to learn to shoot relaxed. I used to be a very nervous shooter but thanks to my dad that's not a trouble anymore.
Let me just send a great big thank you to all you olderguys who took time to show us younger ones the ins and outs of this great tradition of HUNTING.

SwampTHING 12-09-2007 05:51 AM

Update,, picked Chase up friday after school.. We rushed out too the blind and sat down. At 4:30 we had 4 does and a buck enter the cornfield and graze at about 200 yards. No shot presented itself. Saturday morning, I picked him up and we went too one of the other farms down the road where I have permission too hunt. Set up where the corners of 2 bushes connect,, a real nice little funnel. About an hour after legal time heard some crashing coming towards us. Told him get the hammer cocked and get ready. Had 2 does fly by us doing mach 90. About 30 seconds later, had 3 coyotes coming down the same trail.. Started too whisper pick one out and take it. He was already raising the gun. His first kill was about a 45 pound coyote, flipped it at 65 yards. We dragged that out of the bush,, farmer met us at the barn. thinking we had a deer he came too look. Thanked Chase for shooting the coyote,, and told him anytime he wants too hunt feel free,, just dont shoot towards the livestock. And then asked me if I knew anyone that hunted predators way too many around.. Ill be helping him out for sure as well as on a couple other local farms this winter.

Saturday afternoon, we got into the blind at 2 pm. 3 pm had a button buck feeding at 90 yards. Asked him if he wanted too take a shot at it. He said no,, wants too see if he can get one of the others. 4 pm had the 4 does come out at 250 yards and start feeding towards us. 4:15 the buck came out same spot and just feed right there. about 30 minutes later the does were under 100 yards from us. Asked him if he wanted one of them.. He really wanted the buck. We sat and watched it for another 15 minutes. It wasnt coming any closer,, just feeding in one area. I told him 17 minutes of legal time left,,and those does are well within range. He agreed and picked out the biggest doe. Made a beutiful broadside shot at 85 yards. Deer ran 40 yards andpiled up. I congratulated him,, we got out of the blind and went and checked it out and tagged it.The smilehe had was incredible,, that was worth it all ill tell you!Told him go up to the house and get the gator, and id clean his deer for him. He gotback about 25 minutes later,,both dad and gramps with him. They were so happy he got a deer. Loaded it up and took it back to the barn and got her hanging. Im sure everyone that would listen heard the stary about 15 times last night.. Im glad the kid got a couple firsts yesterday,, he deserved it!!

gleason.chapman 12-09-2007 06:30 AM

ORIGINAL: SwampTHING

Update,, picked Chase up friday after school.. We rushed out too the blind and sat down. At 4:30 we had 4 does and a buck enter the cornfield and graze at about 200 yards. No shot presented itself. Saturday morning, I picked him up and we went too one of the other farms down the road where I have permission too hunt. Set up where the corners of 2 bushes connect,, a real nice little funnel. About an hour after legal time heard some crashing coming towards us. Told him get the hammer cocked and get ready. Had 2 does fly by us doing mach 90. About 30 seconds later, had 3 coyotes coming down the same trail.. Started too whisper pick one out and take it. He was already raising the gun. His first kill was about a 45 pound coyote, flipped it at 65 yards. We dragged that out of the bush,, farmer met us at the barn. thinking we had a deer he came too look. Thanked Chase for shooting the coyote,, and told him anytime he wants too hunt feel free,, just dont shoot towards the livestock. And then asked me if I knew anyone that hunted predators way too many around.. Ill be helping him out for sure as well as on a couple other local farms this winter.

Saturday afternoon, we got into the blind at 2 pm. 3 pm had a button buck feeding at 90 yards. Asked him if he wanted too take a shot at it. He said no,, wants too see if he can get one of the others. 4 pm had the 4 does come out at 250 yards and start feeding towards us. 4:15 the buck came out same spot and just feed right there. about 30 minutes later the does were under 100 yards from us. Asked him if he wanted one of them.. He really wanted the buck. We sat and watched it for another 15 minutes. It wasnt coming any closer,, just feeding in one area. I told him 17 minutes of legal time left,,and those does are well within range. He agreed and picked out the biggest doe. Made a beutiful broadside shot at 85 yards. Deer ran 40 yards andpiled up. I congratulated him,, we got out of the blind and went and checked it out and tagged it.The smilehe had was incredible,, that was worth it all ill tell you!Told him go up to the house and get the gator, and id clean his deer for him. He gotback about 25 minutes later,,both dad and gramps with him. They were so happy he got a deer. Loaded it up and took it back to the barn and got her hanging. Im sure everyone that would listen heard the stary about 15 times last night.. Im glad the kid got a couple firsts yesterday,, he deserved it!!
Great story, huge Amen. Way to go SwampThing, congratulate that young many for us on the forum.
Chap Gleason

AZBear 12-09-2007 11:23 PM

Well done and I'm glad the gun worked out for him as well.