HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   burned out (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/220911-burned-out.html)

mn trucker 12-04-2007 01:06 PM

burned out

last week of muzzle season and i haven't seen a thing. i think i'm done with stand hunting now it's time to just walk. i took the week off and i can't get motivated to go anymore.It's been a long season with just 1 doe taking with bow in Nov. i passed a few small bucks and now when i just want meat i don't see anything. hope you guys are staying motivated and good luck.

thanks for the advice all through out the year i manly just read and not talk

cayugad 12-04-2007 01:17 PM

RE: burned out

ORIGINAL: mn trucker

last week of muzzle season and i haven't seen a thing. i think i'm done with stand hunting now it's time to just walk. i took the week off and i can't get motivated to go anymore.It's been a long season with just 1 doe taking with bow in Nov. i passed a few small bucks and now when i just want meat i don't see anything. hope you guys are staying motivated and good luck.

thanks for the advice all through out the year i manly just read and not talk
I know exactly how you feel. It has been a long season in Northern Wisconsin. I have not seen any bucks this year, and I do not want a doe. Actually I am not as meat hungry as I used to be, because I could have shot a doe if I wanted to.

I got on a good big track and a smaller one,this morning on one of my skid trails. With the new snow it was easy to follow. I was hoping they would lead me to some solo large tracks but no such luck.

I walked them out to the marsh and all the way to the National Forest. I got to thinking that while it was fun tracking them, I would probably find a large doe and a smaller one at the end of the track. So when I hit the forest road, I walked back home. It's now snowing again, so things are going to be a little ruff later. Right now sitting by the woodstove with a cup of coffee is a lot better then having snow fall down the back of my collar.

Good luck to you. I hope you get some meat for the freezer...

flounder33 12-04-2007 01:55 PM

Things have been slow for me in southern Minnesota also. Personally, I think a nice fat doe would be perfect for our table but Iwould also take a buck. I just have to think the numbers are down here.My own small woodlotdoes not have the deer we've had in previous years. I have some other great places to hunt but things have been slow. I see tracks and other deer signbut I am convinced that the deer are doing almost all their moving at night. Anyway there's afew days left, I hope you have some luck.
Art

Semisane 12-04-2007 03:14 PM

I feel for 'ya, guys. Here's a picture I took from one of my stands Saturday morning. Have taken one 110 lb. doe so far, and passed on at least a dozen does and eight bucks of 4 points or less. In our club, we allow two does per man, one five or six point buck, and two bucks of 7 points or more. However, none of the guys shoot a five orsix unless it obviously anolder deer.

Rut won't kick in around here until the third week of December, and the big bucks just aren't moving much yet. Seeing a lot of good size tracks though.

frontier gander 12-04-2007 03:36 PM

4th season hunters in CO had some beautiful weather today, 73*!! Looking at rain on saturday. Just a real crappy year for hunting. Hopefully next year is back to the normal, freezing weather and snow.

Semisane 12-04-2007 03:50 PM

Hopefully next year is back to the normal, freezing weather and snow.
Ain't nothing "normal" 'bout that. Just plain freaky. :D

cayugad 12-04-2007 04:07 PM

Semisane... how far from your stand to that feeder?

Semisane 12-04-2007 04:28 PM

It's 125 yards to the feeder - 170 to the tree line at the back of the food plot. That brush line you see at the front of the food plot is actually a small bluff that drops down about twenty feet. Sometimes, when the wind if right,I sit right there in the brush at the top of the bluffand have a "close up and personal" with the deer on the plot. Earlier this year I watched two does, three yearlings, and two spikes playing tag on the plot. Got a real good chuckle.

BowHuntingFool 12-04-2007 06:15 PM

I killed a Doe opening day this year with my bow and another one a week later, it seemed like that was last season it's been so long ago[8D]! Were gitting 3 -5 inches of snow right now so should be a quiet sit in the AM!

I hear ya its been a LONG season! I have had success with my Bow and my Rifle. I'm still wanting to kill something with the Flintlock though! I'll be out again in the morning but I tell ya its getting harder and harder to get out of bed at 4:45 am nowadays! We still have 4 weeks of hunting left here in Wisconsin so I'll hunt till Jan 6th as hard as I can! Hopefully kill something in the snow this late season!

...then its Coyote calling time........:)

Bake North 12-04-2007 07:51 PM

We have the cold weather but the freezing rain we got the night before our muzzy season opened 2 days ago is not helping.Not seeing a lot of deer this year
but some years it happens,frusterating but just have to keep plugging away.Heading back out tommorow.