Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 New triumph new question from earlier post >

New triumph new question from earlier post

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New triumph new question from earlier post

Old 12-04-2007, 08:31 AM
Spike

Default New triumph new question from earlier post

OK BP gurus I have a few more questions.
[ol][*]Does loose powder burn dirtier or cleaner or the same as pellets[*]Other than simplicity what are the benefits of pellets -I really like simplicity[*]My 209 remingto BL primers leave nasty ugly scaling crud in the breech . Is there better[*]What loose powder is recomemded?[*]Shooting TC sabots sure fire. What should i use to hunt with Under 100yards.[*]How do you all sight in ? shooting from a bench rest is the gun clamped down?? Any steps to assist in sighting would be helpful. I think the gun is more accurarate then my hold.[*]Is this sport addicting?? Cause I am really enoyng it so far and I only shot 20 rounds so far![/ol]
Old 12-04-2007, 08:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: New triumph new question from earlier post

slsail

[ol][*]Does loose powder burn dirtier or cleaner or the same as pellets They burn about the same. Fowling is fowling. It all has to be cleaned and swabbed. I personally like loose powder better.[*]Other than simplicity what are the benefits of pellets -I really like simplicity Pellets are much more expensive, so you can show to other shooter how rich you are, because you can shoot the expensive pellets off all afternoon. You do not have to monkey around with a powder measure, pouring loose powder into that, and then dumping that into the muzzle of the rifle. All you have to do is carry special containers do you do not crush the pellets,and then try and get them down the bore of your rifle without touching them more then you have to.[*]My 209 remingto BL primers leave nasty ugly scaling crud in the breech . Is there better Primers leave different amounts of fowling. Are you taking a Q-tip and with some alcohol on it, wipe in the breech area to make sure that there is no grease or oils to collect the fowling from the primer and hold that.[*]What loose powder is recomemded? Your rifle will pick the powder it likes. Most of my rifles will always shoot Pyrodex RS. Some of them also shoot Triple Se7en 2f real well. One of my favorite powders is Goex Black Powder. It all depends on the rifle. Let the rifle tell you what powder it likes.[*]Shooting TC sabots sure fire. What should i use to hunt with Under 100yards. Under 100 yards, if you want an inexpensive bullet, then the 300 grain XTP is a good one. If money is no object, some Barnes Expanders, Nosler Partition, Parker Extreme, Speer Gold Dot, Sierra, all of them make good bullets. I would shoot the bullets that has the best accuracy.[*]How do you all sight in ? shooting from a bench rest is the gun clamped down?? Any steps to assist in sighting would be helpful. I think the gun is more accurarate then my hold. Clamping down a rifle is not a good idea. A good rest is important. Also learning to address the rifle the same each and every time. When I sight in a rifle, I like to start them at 13 yards. As soon as I get a tight group there, I move back to 25 yards. From there I like to move to 50 and do on. I make these steps because I can see what the rifle does at the different ranges. For instance, I was shooting some Speer on day. The groups were outstanding. Out to 75 yards. After that they went down hill and all over the place. If I do not work a load out from no where, I have no knowledge of what that bullet will do.[*]Is this sport addicting?? Cause I am really enoyng it so far and I only shot 20 rounds so far! This sport gets to you. It gets to where you want to shoot muzzleloaders more then the other rifles. I started out with one T/C Renegade some 30+ years ago. At one time,I had a couple dozen of them. I am hooked big time. And I still want more and different rifles to try. That is the problem. I will probably be getting a few more rifles, but I am trying to cut back.[/ol]
This sport is one that is always changing. The rifles are changing, and the powders and projectiles are changing. To learn a rifle and how it shoots is a lot of fun. Then to see what you can make that rifle do is even more fun. Last, all of us understand the satisfaction of hunting with muzzleloaders.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New triumph new question from earlier post

[quote]ORIGINAL: slsail

[ol][*]Does loose powder burn dirtier or cleaner or the same as pellets[*]Other than simplicity what are the benefits of pellets -I really like simplicity[*]My 209 remingto BL primers leave nasty ugly scaling crud in the breech . Is there better[*]What loose powder is recomemded?[*]Shooting TC sabots sure fire. What should i use to hunt with Under 100yards.[*]How do you all sight in ? shooting from a bench rest is the gun clamped down?? Any steps to assist in sighting would be helpful. I think the gun is more accurarate then my hold.[*]Is this sport addicting?? Cause I am really enoyng it so far and I only shot 20 rounds so far![/ol]

You may get a wide range of opinions on this depending on what pellets and what loose and what other componants are involved; if you what clean try APP or Black Mag.
If you are talking about Pyrodexmy chrony tells me I may be getting a bit more velocity from pellets ,other wise none.
regular Win 209 [NOT THE 777]
Black Mag if you can get it other wise try Pyrodex ,RS and P and 777 and use the one your gun likes you will find what the harmonics of your barrel matches up to is what is important.
Guns vary, as a general rule do not expect them to shoot the same group or POI if locked down. for me two sand bags in front with a rag pillow on top and one sand bag in back. The sand bags are made from old shot bags.
Not sure I only been shooting for 60 years.
Have fun, keep it safe and stay relaxed. [ staying relaxed is one of thekeys to good groups bench shooting, when you are tense the recoil has different amounts of resistance to push against and you jerk the trigger a lot more often] Lee