Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Omega scores twice this week! Ok. once more! >

Omega scores twice this week! Ok. once more!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Omega scores twice this week! Ok. once more!

Old 12-22-2007, 08:49 PM
Spike

Default RE: Omega scores twice this week!

Just a update. Went to my "honey hole" again this morning. Didnt see a thing. I havent seen much of any deer since the snow storm last weekend. Decided to try out my other property, that I havent been to since bowseason. As I was walking across the field to my stand, I got to the woods and was looking through the trees to try to see my ladder stand. Been awhile since I'm been there like I said. Saw it through the brush, as i just started to walk in the woods, out busted 3 large does about 40 yards heading across the field! I thought dang it! So, what do I have to lose. I fawn bleated with my mouth about 4 times, very loud. They all stopped and spun around. I was shocked to say the least. I got down on one knee. Figured they were 90 yards. Layed the cross hairs of the Omega scope on the boiler room. Let it rip. They all bolted, the one started changing its course and the other 2 headed straight to the picked corn field 200 yards away. The one I shot ran it about a 30 yard half circle ,then dropped like a rock. I walked up to the doe, then stepped it off back to where I was kneeling. Came out to 118 yards. I'm more and more impressed with these TC 300 gr XTP Mags the more I use them. Didnt get a complete pass through, so all the energy stayed in the animal. That makes 3 deer this year. This is one of the most exciting hunt I've ever been on and happened so fast. She dressed out at 136 lbs, alittle heavier than the first doe. I'm done for this year, need to save some for next year. We'll have enough venison this year thats for sure. I feel very blessed!
Old 12-22-2007, 08:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Awesome!! Congrats on a heck of a year!
Old 12-23-2007, 04:55 AM

Sewerdude
I have done alot of testing with alot of diff bullets and all test done with XTP and XTP mag have always left me feeling the same every time, I would find myself leaning twords the XTP mag as they expanded fairly well and stayed togather, as were the Reg XTP 9 out of 10 times would have jacket seperation and not near the penatration as the mags. If I were you I would stay with the Mags as we both know nothing goes as planned and if you go through the shoulder you will have a better chance of taken a animal and recovering a animal if the bullet stays togather. JMO

Now for the good part !!!!
AWSOME Buck and Does man Congrats looks like you had a great seson Brother !!!!!

Old 12-23-2007, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Sewerdude

Nothing but deer for 18 years now.
Amen. Me too, I have 6 in my freezer right now. About 6 lbs of venison per week x 50 (52 week in a year) so 300 lbs, an average deer gives 40 to 50 lbs of boneless meat. My cut is always, hind quarter steak, tenderloin chops, 2 roast, 4 lbs stew meat rest burger. Works great and is healthy. I have been doing this at least since 1989, so about 18 yrears also. Chap Gleason
Old 12-23-2007, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Sewerdude

Just a update. Went to my "honey hole" again this morning. Didnt see a thing. I havent seen much of any deer since the snow storm last weekend. Decided to try out my other property, that I havent been to since bowseason. As I was walking across the field to my stand, I got to the woods and was looking through the trees to try to see my ladder stand. Been awhile since I'm been there like I said. Saw it through the brush, as i just started to walk in the woods, out busted 3 large does about 40 yards heading across the field! I thought dang it! So, what do I have to lose. I fawn bleated with my mouth about 4 times, very loud. They all stopped and spun around. I was shocked to say the least. I got down on one knee. Figured they were 90 yards. Layed the cross hairs of the Omega scope on the boiler room. Let it rip. They all bolted, the one started changing its course and the other 2 headed straight to the picked corn field 200 yards away. The one I shot ran it about a 30 yard half circle ,then dropped like a rock. I walked up to the doe, then stepped it off back to where I was kneeling. Came out to 118 yards. I'm more and more impressed with these TC 300 gr XTP Mags the more I use them. Didnt get a complete pass through, so all the energy stayed in the animal. That makes 3 deer this year. This is one of the most exciting hunt I've ever been on and happened so fast. She dressed out at 136 lbs, alittle heavier than the first doe. I'm done for this year, need to save some for next year. We'll have enough venison this year thats for sure. I feel very blessed!
Amen, you were, good shooting. "And the Lord gave them over to their hands." is a said over and over again in the Bible. We are blessed, by the Lord giving deer over and over again to our hands. How else to explain "dumb luck" other than faith that "he provides all our needs". Chap Gleason
Old 12-23-2007, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Omega scores twice this week! Ok. once more!

That buck is a very nice looking animal, 162 lbs around here is huge, guess not for the mid west. Congratulations. Chap Gleason
Old 12-23-2007, 07:29 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

Amen, you were, good shooting. "And the Lord gave them over to their hands." is a said over and over again in the Bible. We are blessed, by the Lord giving deer over and over again to our hands. How else to explain "dumb luck" other than faith that "he provides all our needs". Chap Gleason
Your right about the "dumb luck" thing Chap. I'm always very thankful for ever deer I'm blessed with.
Sounds like you your freezer is full Chap. I only shot 2 deer last year. Laziness on my part. We ran out of burger in Aug. Its the first time in 18 years I've ever had to go to the store to buy burger. I didnt realize the good lean stuff was 3 bucks a pound!
Old 12-23-2007, 07:37 AM
Spike

I see you just joined Indiana SmokePole. Welcome. Where are you in Indiana ? I'm way up in the northern part. Just 10 miles from the Michigan line
[align=left] [/align]