Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Illinois Deer Hunting Regulations >

Illinois Deer Hunting Regulations

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Illinois Deer Hunting Regulations

Old 11-30-2007, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Illinois Deer Hunting Regulations

Any Illinois muzzleloading hunters read the fine print in the 2007 deer hunting firearm regulations? Say's and I quote "Modern smokeless powders (nitrocellulose-based) are a approved blackpowder substitute only in muzzloading firearms that are specifically designed for their use". So, I've read that a couple of different times and the way I'm understanding it, you are now allowed to use smokeless powder muzzleloaders in Illinois?? If thats the case I may be in the market for a Savage 10ML. I'm retiring the end of April, just might needto buy myself a present with some of my vacation payout

I think I'll call DNR and get the scoop on that.........
Old 11-30-2007, 07:14 PM
Spike

Default RE: Illinois Deer Hunting Regulations

Thats the way it sounds to me
Old 11-30-2007, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sjsfire

Any Illinois muzzleloading hunters read the fine print in the 2007 deer hunting firearm regulations? Say's and I quote "Modern smokeless powders (nitrocellulose-based) are a approved blackpowder substitute only in muzzloading firearms that are specifically designed for their use". So, I've read that a couple of different times and the way I'm understanding it, you are now allowed to use smokeless powder muzzleloaders in Illinois?? If thats the case I may be in the market for a Savage 10ML. I'm retiring the end of April, just might needto buy myself a present with some of my vacation payout

Amen, they are a lot of fun. I have a Savage 10ML with Stainless barrel, black composite stock. I have a 3x9 Bushnell Elite Firefly scope and a Savage strap. Here is my gun:

http://www.the-gleasons.com/Scope_on_05-11-07_2028.jpg

I like it a lot, and I am shooting it all thru both ML and rifle season. Ya gotta play with different powders and bullets just like BP, just a little more powerful. Best wishes on your purchase.
Chap Gleason
Old 12-01-2007, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's what it says!

Now go get yourself that Savage 10ML-II, you won't be disappointed! I'd recommend the version with the laminate stock. I picked the laminate stock for mine because the Savage composite plastic stocks aren't very nice. When you get the rifle, pick up a can of Accurate Arms XMR-5744 smokeless powder and a set of Lee Dippers (about $6, with the handloading supplies) to measure it with. 41-45 grains of 5744 under a 250 or so grain bullet and a MMP sabot has always yielded great accuracy and good velocity.

Also, since the change to the regs allowing smokeless powder may be new in Illinois, I'd carry the regs on my person at least for this year. You'd be surprised how many cops, including DNR officers, don't know or keep up with current laws. Might save you the hassle of fighting an unjust ticket if you run into a DNR bear in the woods.

Take a look at Natchez Shooters Supply (http://www.natchezss.com). It's where I ordered my Savage and the prices are good. I don't know how Illinois law is (with your states assinine FOID cards and such), but the Savage is considered by the BATF as a primitive weapon and therefore can be shipped to you direct without going through a FFL dealer. Just order it, and in a few days UPS will come bearing gifts! Nothing says giving like a UPS guy carrying a long narrow box at your door![8D]

Mike
Old 12-01-2007, 10:29 AM
Fork Horn

I don't think the regulation is new. I am pretty sure smokeless powder has been allowed the last three years that I have paid attention to the ML rules but I could be wrong! I am positive it was in the regs. last year.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:48 PM

It has! Started 3 years ago! Ron
Old 12-02-2007, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the responses, I'll be researching the Savage 10ml. And when I get that vacation payout I'll probably be contacting my my buddy with the FFL.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:33 AM

ORIGINAL: sjsfire

In any Muzzleloader that smokeless is an approved propellant for, then it is legal.

Savage, Nula, SMI, and Bad Bull are the only ones I am aware of.