Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I wasnt thinking!

Old 11-26-2007, 04:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: I wasnt thinking!

That does say something about TC barrels !!
Glad your OK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ORIGINAL: HoleHopper

Idid somethingreally stupid and careless while sighting in my new TC Omega. Ileft the ramrod in my barrell and fired the gun. Please, Please, Please check to make sure you are safe before, during and after the shot!!!!!!

I think I am lucky I didnt get blown barrel in the face!All that happened was a badly brused shoulder and hand not to mention my pride, and what may be a ruened TC.

I am going to get ahold of TC to see what they sudjest I do with the gun. All visual checks seem to be ok but I dont know if I can trust the gun. And I dont think I will. Believe me, that will never happen again!

Anybody ever have any expirience with this happening or other boneheaded things I can add to my do not do list? Is my gun scrap metal?

Old 11-26-2007, 05:49 PM
Fork Horn

Never left my ramrod in and fired.....Almost did once tho.....Whewwwww...Glad my buddy seen it .....
Old 11-26-2007, 08:13 PM
Spike

I'm glad that you're ok. It's surprisingly easy to "not think" at the range. I've never shot the rod but I have forgotten to load powder a couple of times and that really puts a kink in the plans. As soon as I start becoming distracted or lose my train of thought I pack up for the day. It's not worth it. Safety first.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Glad you are alright and thanks for an always prudent warning.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have seen it done before. It depends on whether the ramrod was all the way down the barrel or partially down the barrel when you shot the rifle. Eld. gave you great advice. The times that I saw it happen did not result inany barrel problems. The ramrod was basically the projectile. The shooter's said the rifle kicked like a Mule.

The way to tell where the ram rod was at the time of firing, is whether there was any damage to the ramrod. If there was no damage then the chances are the ramrod was all the way down on the load. This scenario would lend itself to less barrel damage. If the ramrod was destroyed then it was way off the load. If this is the case then I would be careful. Tom.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:44 AM

Now that I have had a day too calm down and digest what had happened I have to aggree that it definately does say something about TC barrels and I am greatfull to say the least....... I have no idia if the ramrod was seated agaist the bullet or not. I did look downrange for the rod as well as I could being shaken and all, and did not see it anywhere. I did notice that right after the shot that there was smoke that had escaped out by the breach plug so much so that it was comeing out of the stock and there was burnt powder residue between the threads of the breach plug and where it screws into the back of the barrel. The breach plug was a little hard to get out but when I cleaned it, it screwed back in like nothing happened. When I think about there being so much force inside of that barrel that it forced gasses out between the breach plug threads back at me.............. That is how I know I am lucky! I could have been eating breech plug at 2500 fps................

I had gotten so exited about how accurate My new TC was shooting for me that I lost my focus. I just think I was dam lucky! I know my next or replacement muzzeloader will be a TC. Hands down! Thanks for everyones concern. Be safe!
Old 11-27-2007, 04:08 AM

i have done it with a lyman 50 cal flintlock, i was hunting on the ground and just got to a little groung blind in the middle of a blow down. while i was loading the gun a 9 pointer comes into view heading straight for me and stops 15yds broadside, well i forgot to take out the ram rod when i touched the shot off that thing kicked like a mule and the deer ran off. well i found the blood trail and saw the deer only went about 40yds, so i decided to reload incase it was to get up. no ramrod to be found, when i skun the buck out it had 2 holes in it 1 from the ball and 1 from the rod and i ended up finding the rod the next day still in 1 piece but the end was mushroomed pretty bad, so now i always make sure i check to make sure the rod is in its holder before i fire the gun.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Rob, that's a great story. I'd have had the deer mounted with the rod displayed underneath.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:09 PM

did that with my winchester and a 410 grain great plains conical. I miss that ramrod[&:]
Old 11-27-2007, 01:48 PM
Typical Buck

I have also done the deed and launched my ramrod down range! [:@]

About three weeks ago, I was at the range with a buddy and his son (17 years old)with his son's brand new CVA Optima 50 cal.

After getting the boy up and shooting on his own with swabbing, loading and shooting accurate, we no sooner than turned our backs and were talking about hunting season when the boy shot his ramrod down range about 50 yards and ended up with a nifty cut in his right eyebrow from the excess recoil and the scope cutting him giving him 13 stitches.

The good news to the story is that while theboy has learned the hard way and thankfully was not hurt worse, he did shoot a nice doe opening morning.

Tahquamenon

Quick Reply: I wasnt thinking!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.