Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Jonathan Browning mountain rifle >

Jonathan Browning mountain rifle

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Jonathan Browning mountain rifle

Old 11-24-2007, 10:53 PM

Default Jonathan Browning mountain rifle

Anyone here know much about a Jonathan Browning mountain rifle? I have one that I aquired from a friends widow after he passed away. I shot this rifle in a competition about ten years before it became mine and was extremely impressed with it's performance. Not interested in selling it, but would like to know a little about it and an approximate value. It is A 50 cal., Browned barrel and lock withbrass furniture. This rifle looks like it just came out of the show case. Thanks for any help.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Jonathan Browning mountain rifle

I would say if you put it up for sale for $500.00 It would not take long to sell. I looked at one on gunbroker that was starting out at $750.00. I think they are very pretty guns.From what I understand, Browning made this rifle in the late 70's, and I think early 80's. This was at a time when a lot of cheap muzzleloaders were being made. I don't think people wanted to pay for the extra quality. At that time Thompson Center sold the other quality gun which was the famous T/C Hawken, and it sold for less than the Browning. This is about the time I got into black powder. I still use the T/C Hawkentoday.Back then, in-lines were under car hoods and the goodoneswere six cylinders.

C. Davis
Old 11-25-2007, 05:15 PM
Fork Horn

an old friend of mine had a .54 jbm he passed away about 10 yrs ago he used to hunt the swamp down behind my place . he killed more than a few bucks w/ that rifle. i often wondered happened to his rifle. I bought a 50 cal tc hawken the same yr mich. opened their separate mz season mid 70's been hooked on them ever since. aint nothing than clanging a wiley white w/a mz I rember he shot prbs then he went to sabots last i knew good luck with it later thumper50
Old 11-25-2007, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

check out this one , nice looking gun !!!!!!!!!

http://trackofthewolf.com/(S(nxk2hg550z5o0pzgfbxml045))/categories/partDetail.aspx?catId=12&subId=83&styleId= 290&partNum=AAE-660
Old 11-26-2007, 08:40 PM

Thanks for the info. I will hang on to it due to the sentimental value alone. I have shot it some and willshoot it on occasion, hard to get away from the traditional guns. I have a David Pedrosoli Kodiak double fifty and an inline I hunt with. Will save this one as a conversation piece.
UtahRob, yeah that is the centinial version, mine has a brass trigger guard and not as fancy. The centinials were beautiful guns.Thanks.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

It looks to me like Track of the wolf is doing a little false advertising. They say the rifle was made by Browning in Utah. Browning does not have a factory in Utah. I do not even think they were in Utah in the 70's(I may be wrong about that).

Browning is simply a trade name. I do not know for sure who manufactured the rifle. My guess is CVA or possibly an Italian import. IMO some one would have to be very gullable to pay a premium for the Browning name. If I remember correctly this rifle was an inexpensive rifle that did not sell very well. At least that is what the Browning dealer's I used to work with told me.

Is the country of manufacture marked on the rifle?? Look under the barrel. I am guessing Spain or Italy, but certainly not Browning, in Utah. Tom.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:00 PM

nothing under the barrel,left side of barrel, browning arms co. morgan, utah & montreal, p.o. made in u.s.a.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here is a pretty good history of the Browning company.

http://www.huntingsociety.org/HistBrowning.html

It says they moved their corporate headquarters to Morgan, Utah in 1964, and that they introduced the Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifle in 1977. From what I hear, it was a very good gun. Probably too good for it's time.

C. Davis
Old 11-27-2007, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Absolutely an excellent sidelock and I've never heard or read anyone suggest otherwise (until now). I don't recall it being cheap in any wayat all (at the time). It is one of the few traditional replicas that I wouldyet like to own.