Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 New Z5 with Thumbhole >

New Z5 with Thumbhole

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Z5 with Thumbhole

Old 11-24-2007, 07:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default New Z5 with Thumbhole

Well?, I just picked up a new Z5 with a thumbhole stock.

Why? - I do not really know other than I thought it was a great buy...

What are you goning to do with it? I really do not know...

I never thought I would like a thumbhole but I kinda like it. The forearm has a large dovetail that really makes it easy to hold. It would take some getting use to - getting into the thumbhole.

It really seems light as compared to my SS model.

I am really in deep trouble - but it was a good buy...

Old 11-24-2007, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: New Z5 with Thumbhole

Nice rifle. Will the thumb hole make it more accurate, due to the position of the wrist?
Old 11-24-2007, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a thumbhole stock on several rifle's. I tend to shoot better off handed or in a hunting situation with the TH stock. It can be a bit difficult to shoot it with your other hand unless you get the ambi. one. Tom.

Old 11-25-2007, 08:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

sabotloader,you beat me to it. I am still waiting for a price that makes it unpassupable. I like the thumbholes because for me they are deadly for off hand and hunting. Congratulation on the addition to your collection.
My wife is trying to tell me she made a rule that since I already have more than 15 that I should have to sell two to buy one, of course she made this rule without my agreement so it dont count. Lee

Old 11-25-2007, 12:14 PM

Nice looking rifle. A couple tips for you, Put a Sims pad on it and fill the stock with foam. You can add a bolt or something to balance it better but IMO it's not neccisary.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Wolfhound76

Thanks for the thoughts... I still not sure what I am going to do with it yet... I am not worried about recoil - the onl recoil that seems to bother me is a 3 1/2 Mag Turkey load - that one gets my attention. I just picked it up and right now I would say I am not un-happy with the balance. As compared to my other ML it is really good.

One thing I have not done yet is to compare the weight of this new gun to the weight of my SS Omega - but man this thing seems light sort like my Tikka Lite 300 Win Mag and at my age the lightness is feeling pretty good. I hauled a U-Mag around a season now and this thing feels like a feather.... Is buled steel light than Stainless?

Old 11-25-2007, 01:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

sabotloaderSince SS is denser than carbon steel it should weigh a tiny bit more. Lee
Old 11-25-2007, 04:10 PM

I've been known to shoot 3 1/2" shells out of my 870 Supermag but I don't shoot it in the summer with a t-shirt on. The first time I shot my Omega with 100 gr. loads my shoulder was black and blue. I put the sims pad on and that stopped. It's not the gun but the cheap hard rubber recoil pad T/C uses. They give very little. As for the foam that's for sound issues and not weight. Hollow stocks sound like a drum when bumped IMO. By filling it with a lightweight spray foam it deadens the sound. Every hollow stocked gun I've had has gotten that treatment. It's a cheap fix.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:28 PM
Dominant Buck

That is a nice looking rifle.. I am sure it will make a nice addition to your collection.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

yep! know what you mean by the hollow sound - both of my Remington's were classic cases of a drumming stock something terrible...

Quick Reply: New Z5 with Thumbhole

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.