HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Question for Omega Owners (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/219074-question-omega-owners.html)

bigpappa 11-22-2007 06:01 PM

Question for Omega Owners

I finally had time to sight in New Omega and Nikon Omega combo, Awesome!!! By 4th shot it was cloverleafing... Now my question, do you guys use your ramrod with the circular cuts on jag end or turn over and have circular cuts at top, I imagine the barrel is a lot harder than rod but it concerned me putting that rough rod in my barrel

L. Clement 11-22-2007 06:26 PM

RE: Question for Omega Owners

I used to screw the jag on to the end with out the ribs but then broke my jag off and the thread stuck in the ram rod end.

The end with the ribs is recessed at better supports the jag when screwed into the rod.

Yeah I don’t like the ribs rubbing either but I don’t think it will hurt the barrel. Just oil up the areas in the rod that get rubbed as they may be more susceptible to rust.

I have the same scope as you, really like it so far, but I don’t like using 150 g’s

Anyone know the real answer to his question? I just stated what I like to do.

lemoyne 11-22-2007 06:44 PM

There are a lot of ways ,Ihave tried most of them. As L. Clementmentioned it is easier to break off the jag on the small end. After experimenting for a couple of years this is what I ended up doing, I carry a range rod for all my range shooting one of the new high density polyurithane one, the solid aluminium one that came with the gun I carry hunting on the big end I use blue lock tight and put one of the short jags that come with the T handle short starter kit I also carry a T handle short starter so if I need to for some reason I can take the bullet starter off thae T handle and screw it on to the ramrod and make an temporary range rod. Lee

outdoorslover 11-22-2007 08:59 PM

I just use the small end. It has never broken off or caused me a problem.....

Buckhunter46755 11-23-2007 07:49 AM

ORIGINAL: outdoorslover

I just use the small end. It has never broken off or caused me a problem.....
same here.... so far no problems. But I do see what you mean. I don't like using the rough end either. But it probably won't hurt anything. It's just the idea of it.

chris

rem 700 11-24-2007 02:23 PM

I use the larger end so I can have a jag on the gun while hunting. But on the range I use a range rod.

chaz3815 11-24-2007 09:26 PM

Use the smaller end but now that I have a power rod I use their brass end . The big end is so that you can get a good grip on when you are in the woods .
Charlie

Buckhunter46755 11-25-2007 09:19 AM

ORIGINAL: chaz3815

Use the smaller end but now that I have a power rod I use their brass end . The big end is so that you can get a good grip on when you are in the woods .
Charlie
That makes sense, I also use the small end. You would really have to be jamming on it to bust it off. I also put a brass extension with a jag for cleaning at home. I have never had to clean in the woods. I got a nice 7 pointer last week. They were still in rut hardcore. I called him in with a grunt and bleat within 10 minutes of being in the stand. Haven't been back out have the flu. Might go tonight though....Maybe there still in late rut??? I hope. They may still come to the grunt call..

chris

sabotloader 11-25-2007 11:05 AM

bigpappa

To be honest with you, I usually ditch the stock ram rod and build one to fit with a TC Super Jag installed on the end.

Wal mart has a Flint Ridge (TC company) Ram Roads that you build to the length that you want - so I buy one of them and the brass super jag, which has a patch jag, and a bullet depression in the end also that will allow you loadmost any bullet with out marring the bullet.

Here is a pic of a built ram rod on a traditional gun...

L. Clement 11-25-2007 11:56 AM

When I broke my jag I wasn’t pushing hard it juts got week and then bent, tried to lightly straiten and that’s when it broke off.