Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 would you have taken the shot >

would you have taken the shot

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

would you have taken the shot

Old 11-28-2007, 11:04 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: would you have taken the shot

If I was planning on hunting, felt comfortable about the shot-ML & load, was a safe and legal area to shoot then I would have most likely taken the shot. Can't say 100% for sure as I was not there but I have had similar frontal presentations.

You were going out to hunt correct?

Placing your shotfor the base of the neck or the white diamond on the chest will typically = zero run after the shot as you will take out the top end of the heart and main arterial area. One of my favorite shots. I'm not a big fan of the ole "double lung". I like to put them down as quickly as possible.

On the other hand, if I was not planning on hunting and happened to just see the buck, then I would not have even raised my rifle. I would have stood there simply enjoying the view.

M2C

Tahquamenon
Old 11-28-2007, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been doing some national forest, and have about 2 or 3 acres to hunt on.

I just jumped 2 does last weekend in the national forest. had the shot I was wanting too. but is was at the end of one hell of a hike and out of breath . ML felt like an anti aircraft gun with how hard I was breath. could not calm down enough or in time to get the shot[:@]

and not at the time, just got home from work. I smelt like raw meat. lol did not have time to change.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:30 PM
Typical Buck

As a follow-up...

When hunting always be prepared (great life practice as well). You never know when the golden opportunity comes along and it's a shame to miss it because you are un-prepared.

Which is why I always take my ML to the outhouse or have it handy if I am doing the wild privy. Missed more than one golden opportunity because I figured that the buck would wait until I was finished. Nothing worse than having your hunting pants around your ankles, a 12-point "appears" 20 yards from you and your ML is over leaning next to a tree about 10 feet away. Or, you are coming out of the outhouse only to be standing face to face with a trophy and all you are holding is a magazine.

Tahquamenon
Old 11-28-2007, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was sitting in a great spot one time (last week) and fall asleep, woke up deside to go on and pack it up. went to get my little scent bomb bottles, looked on the ground. frash deer signs AT BOTH BOTTLES. my dad tells storys of he was hunting and falling asleep and waking up and a deer right in his face. lol
Old 11-28-2007, 04:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well sometimes its better to pass, one year [about 6 years ago] I had went with out a shot that first day I was carring a System One in 54 cal loaded with a 50 cal widner bullet[ soft point] and 140 gr RS; abuck a 9 point came through the woods runingalmost at me while I was on the ground going to a different stand [we weigh him later at 240] so I ups and shot him in the front shoulder breaking the bone and it broke the opposite back hip to small bit and was stuck in the skin of his behind. Now Inever seen such a mess to clean and butcher that gun with that bullet is not the right one for that shot. Lee
Old 11-28-2007, 04:06 PM
Fork Horn

In a heart beat up to 50 yrds with the hawkens.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:41 PM

Dang Corey,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you havin some bad luck there!!!!!

I still say you should have taken that shot and you'd be eatin backstrap tonight.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:18 PM

"Would I have taken the shot"

Last fall I actually did, with tragic results. The doe was looking right at me about 12-15yds. I wanted meet for my freezer and she was about to bolt so I took the shot, bang flop. Then she got up and ran off never to be seen again.[:@] My brother was with me (I'm glad I had a witness to help me analys what happened) and we both thought it was a good shot, placement wise. I was shooting 110grs APP with 300gr Barnes Expander MZ out of my CVA Wolf. Never found any blood or hair and we followed where she ran for about half a mile with no sign. I myself must take the fault becuase all the other variables in that moment were as they should be and yet some thing went a foul. In my situation I take credit as I was very new to muzzleloading at the time. This year though I have put more time at the range behind the ole Wolf and topped her off with a red dot. I now know with out a doubt that inside of 50yds that barnes MZ will go right where the red dot is. Last week I had another oportunity with a doe she came across a field striaght at me but I waited and at 20yds she was broadside that's when i pulled the trigger for a perfect Bang/Flop.
Would I take the stright on shot again? Probably but I think it depends on the circumstances if that doe last year hadn't seen me she probably would have eventualy provided me a broadside shot much more ideal IMHO. But I am definitely an advocate of following your conscience, like some one else already said, a shot that I am comfortable taking may not be comfortable for another to take. Work within your conscience and you will not have to ever second guess yourself.
So I congragualate you for following your conscience at that moment even if knowing what you know now you would do differently.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Let me commend you for not taking the shot. From your question and your actions its apparent that YOU were not comfortable with the shot. And based on that fact you made the wise choice. You wait, hoped for the shot you wanted, and took your chances. You were not comfortable with what was presented and because of that you did not shoot. My hats off to you.
I would also have to agree. If you weren't comfortable with the shot, thenyou did the right thing. I have to respect that, becauseI know it can take alot of restraint. Especially since you are really wanting one. You'll prolly get your chance on him again. Like others have said, learn yourrifle, get your load down. Then you'll know for sure.

chris
Old 11-28-2007, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cascadedad

Dang Corey,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you havin some bad luck there!!!!!

I still say you should have taken that shot and you'd be eatin backstrap tonight.
yah yah keep rubbing it in. your not the one that goes to sleep and sees the target from the last range session overlapping the buck's chest then wake up in a cold sweat screaming I should of taken the shot. just kidding. but still see the target over lapping the chest.

today I was leaving the house to go to my second job. was grabbing my coat, looked out the window, saw a doe about 150 or more yards, ran and grabbed a gun, closed to <75 yrds, and waited for the guy I sheer the spot with to shoot. waited 10 mins, nothing, by the time I put the crosshairs on it, it was gone, if the jurk was down there, that makes the 4th deer he let by. and my 3rd, . I should not have been nice and waited. I am hunting down there for the next 2 days if he is there or not, I am going to shot