Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 would you have taken the shot >

would you have taken the shot

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

would you have taken the shot

Old 11-16-2007, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: would you have taken the shot

What is that rifle, Ridge Runner?
Old 11-16-2007, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

well I am getting ready for rifle, the ml will not be taking a 2 week break. it will be with me when my bother in law won't be hunting with me mainly around home. I may take it tommarow the place I am hunting is only 1 or 2 mile from the range. so I may get some time in while out there.

in my heart I did the right thing, my brain says I could. I think in the back of my mind, I did not want to work on the deer tonite lol
Old 11-16-2007, 07:22 PM
Dominant Buck

Ridge Runner - then are some nice bucks... Especially thatsecond to thebottom one. WOW!!!
Old 11-16-2007, 09:56 PM
Fork Horn

I would have taken it and did yesterday on a nice buck at 50 yards. In the bush with a tree on each side of him. OH and Imissed, think I flinched with a small hang fire of a fraction of a second. He was about a 1/ wider then his ears with 12 G1 and a 4 (8 American) pointer. Would have scored about 135. Not big but still nice.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

I take shots that I am confident the outcome will be positive. Yardage, positioning, etcis important but if I don't have that confidence feeling going I simply back down. Sounds like you did the right thing.

Old 11-18-2007, 10:42 PM
Spike

This has probably been said already but I thought I'd chime in.

Would of you taken the frontal? Did I do the right thing? First question...yes. Second question...yes.

I'm not an old hunter, but I've been hunting 18 years. Every year I get better. Every year I see more deer. And every year I get a little less jittery when they do come around. You never know when the monster will walk by. Will you be ready? Will the situaiton be right? Practice, practice practice. As others have suggested, shoot that gun (shoot all of your guns) until it is an extension of yourself.Practice shootingfrom your stand. Know your yardage. Know your blind spots. Practice shooting off hand. The frontal shot has more tissue to penetrate but the vitals are all there behind the brisket. Practice so the next time you see that buck (and he's not giving you another option) you can just pull and fire like an instinct.

The majority of my hunting life (16/18 years)I've been a poor hunter. I used to shoot my gunthe month before the season to check my sights and then it was hunting season, then it went into the case for 11 months. I've missed many deer due to anxiety. I've missed others because I wasn't ready for when they arirved. I've even been woken up by deer waking by. I share this because since getting a muzzleloader everything changed for me. I go to the range often. I know what it's capable of and not capable of. I no longer flinch when I shoot because I know what to expect. And after all of this practice I cannot stomach the thought of sleeping in my stand.

But I missed a chance at a buck two weeks ago for similar reasons as yours. I turned my head in my stand to see a buck walking straight towards me at 50 yards. He busted me when I turned my head but eventually he put his head back down on the trail.I'm not yet very comfortable shooting off hand, especially with buck fever,so I tried to use my railing as a rest. This took some maneuvering and by the time I got my eye to the scope he was gone. In this case he was giving me that same frontal option. Did I do the right thing? I say yes, because I'm not comfortable off hand with a buck at 50 yards when there's another option (like a rest). But I learned a valuable lesson. Back to the range, without the sandbags. And hopefully next time I'm in that sort of situation I am better prepared for it. I'm willing to bet that the next time you see a buck under that apple tree you'll be better prepared as well. Tom
Old 11-19-2007, 02:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

right know I am in the start of centerfire here in VA. it runs 2 weeks (west of the blue ridge). in a month late ML starts up but I think I may try to get back to the range maybe as early as today. if I go today (or when I get a chance), the goal is put finish sightin in my scope, off hand, and put 5 shots in a 4" X 4" target area

I have them in 5 3/4" X 5 3/4" area now
Old 11-19-2007, 04:32 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad
Let me commend you for not taking the shot. From your question and your actions its apparent that YOU were not comfortable with the shot. And based on that fact you made the wise choice. You wait, hoped for the shot you wanted, and took your chances. You were not comfortable with what was presented and because of that you did not shoot. My hats off to you.
Ditto!

Old 11-28-2007, 01:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Frontal Shots are not all that bad of a shot if you place it. I took one last year with open sights at 52 yards shooting a flintlock. I probably would have taken the shot. At 15-20 yards a neck shot would have been almost a give-me with open sights or a scope. When they had their head down, not looking at me, it would have been all over for them. Remember, break their neck, or penetrate the brisket and there is heart and lungs there that you can take out. Also if you were shooting an XTP with a reasonable charge, it would have penetrated, expanded, and did the damage.

BUT

Let me commend you for not taking the shot. From your question and your actions its apparent that YOU were not comfortable with the shot. And based on that fact you made the wise choice. You wait, hoped for the shot you wanted, and took your chances. You were not comfortable with what was presented and because of that you did not shoot. My hats off to you.
Well spoken by Cayugad. We all should know our limitations and there is nothing wrong in not taking a shot that you are not comfortable with. I have taken several deer with the "frontal" shot, but I knew my gun well, the distance I was shooting and had a steady rest. I'm not saying that because I have taken deer that way I would take that shot any time presented...but there are times I felt comfortablewith the shot and was able to take a deer. The bottom line is that as a sportsman...you did not shoot because you did not feel "comfortable" with the shot. I wish there was a lot more of that type of restraint out there...BPS
Old 11-28-2007, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think you made the right call. Of course, this coming from someone with no meat in the freezer because I have waited for "the shot" a couple times this year. That is alright. I still have a few weeks.

Quick Reply: would you have taken the shot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.