Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Bullets--what do the Professional Hunters Use >

Bullets--what do the Professional Hunters Use

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bullets--what do the Professional Hunters Use

Old 11-15-2007, 12:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bullets--what do the Professional Hunters Use

Ouch, thats gonna leave a mark. Chap, I would hope that they would hunt with what shoots well for them just like you and I do but it's an interesting question. I've got a ton of videos and I'll keep an eye out for the ML hunts. Maybe some them have a web site or fan page.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Bigtimer

and you have usedthose 451's quite effectivly - I might add...

They certainly are not the modern fancy ballistic looking bullet that appeals to a lot of people - but it is awful hard to suggest they do for you from short yardage to 180 yards...

The truth is in the hunter.. .would you take that 180 yard shot again today with that 451 Nosler? Bet you would because you now that bullet will do just fine... You can add your professional opinion....
Old 11-15-2007, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bigtimer

Ouch, thats gonna leave a mark. Chap, I would hope that they would hunt with what shoots well for them just like you and I do but it's an interesting question. I've got a ton of videos and I'll keep an eye out for the ML hunts. Maybe some them have a web site or fan page.
Yes, I would hope they would select like you an me. I am just interested in what they shoot now and how they reach their conclusions about the best performing bullet for them. Some do it for just the money, but others don't. I have read some pretty objective stuff from Richard Mann on ML bullets but since the sponsors of bullets support ML publications, I don't think theywill ever say negative things about a bullet. Most writers will just not say a lot about a given bullet if the don't like it. Anyway, Cayugad said there is no "dumb question", so humor me with the answer if you know it. I am just curious.
Chap
Old 11-15-2007, 09:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

There is another way to look at what bullet to use, it bothers me when some of these people say this is the best bullet like there was only one, I have a lot of best bullets and loads, the most talked about is what to use for deer; ok deer in the thick woods on my own property I use 110 gr of 777-FF and a 250 Gold Dot I know my shots there will be under a 100yds usually under 50yds; but I almost always draw a tag for both of the near by refuges different circumstances long shots possable so I use 110 gr 777-FF and a Shock Wave 200gr -50/40 sighted to be 3 inches high @100yds and it will be dead on at about 175yds and 4 inches low at 200yds and since I have taken deer with both loads I can tell you they both work very well, but when I go elk hunting I use a 300gr Gold Dot or a 300gr SW circumstances change what is best and if you adapt to them it gives you better odds of sucess. Lee
Old 11-16-2007, 05:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

There is another way to look at what bullet to use, it bothers me when some of these people say this is the best bullet like there was only one, I have a lot of best bullets and loads, the most talked about is what to use for deer; ok deer in the thick woods on my own property I use 110 gr of 777-FF and a 250 Gold Dot I know my shots there will be under a 100yds usually under 50yds; but I almost always draw a tag for both of the near by refuges different circumstances long shots possable so I use 110 gr 777-FF and a Shock Wave 200gr -50/40 sighted to be 3 inches high @100yds and it will be dead on at about 175yds and 4 inches low at 200yds and since I have taken deer with both loads I can tell you they both work very well, but when I go elk hunting I use a 300gr Gold Dot or a 300gr SW circumstances change what is best and if you adapt to them it gives you better odds of sucess. Lee
Yes, I agree with you. I am using a Parker Ballistic Extreme 275gin my Savage for my "open field" 150-175 gun, and a 300g Nosler Partition for my Omega, my 100 yard gun and a 300g Gold Dot in Crushed rib sabot for my FL which is sighted in at 50 yards. All I feel are the best in that given situation, so I am thinking like you Lee, each gun has it's own personality and likes a given bullet, load and sabot. Chap Gleason
Old 11-16-2007, 06:52 AM
Typical Buck

they are about all useing TC guns so i would say most are using TC bullets,or atleast thats what they will tell you.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:01 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry but you must have missed my name. I am using a 460 grain great plains.

Honest mistake
Old 11-17-2007, 06:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

"A while back I made the statement on here that I have a whole lot more faith in what is being said on this board by the everyday users than I do all the experts out there."

Yep, those so called "professional hunters" are loyal to the brand that happens to be paying them at any particular time. The gun writers are no better. Read a test report recently where a writer claimed that the centerfire riflehe tested was a "tack driver": This despite the fact that the gun fired +2 inch groups. My $90 CVA Staghorn willdo that any day of the week.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:17 AM

BIG tacks huh falcon?
Old 11-17-2007, 09:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

The pro's use whichever bullet pays them the most.
I don't think that is true for everyone, like Shockey using Nosler instead of TC SW. Chap
Chap reason: Nosler was first! Jim has been an advocate of nosler as long as I remember andI doubt that will ever change. Then again who'd blame him they make a heck of a bullet!

I agree with the majority on this one: pay to play!

Quick Reply: Bullets--what do the Professional Hunters Use

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.