Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 240 GR. vs 300 GR, XTP >

240 GR. vs 300 GR, XTP

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

240 GR. vs 300 GR, XTP

Old 11-12-2006, 09:03 AM
Fork Horn

Default 240 GR. vs 300 GR, XTP

I have been using T/C Mag sabots with 240 grain XTP's. I have shot 5 deer with that bullet, at ranges from 35 to 95 yards. All have been chest shots and not one gave any sign of being hit. Every deer traveled at least 80 yards after the shot. All were recovered, and none of the bullets penetrated the animal and blood trail (if any) was very sparce, and close to the place the deer was found.

Thefifthdeer, an average 8 point buck, was shot the other day. Shot at about 35 yards, he gave absolutely no sign of being hit. There was a small amount of hair at theplace he was shot and not a drop of blood could be found except right at the place he was found--about 125 yards (and 2 hours)away in one of the thickest, most briar infested places onmy farm. Shot was broadside behind the right shoulder, the bullet stopped under the hide on the left side. Shot a a downward angle, the chest cavity was filled with blood, but none seemed to leak out. The bullet mushroom was very pretty (as were all the others) , but I would like to find a bullet that would--at least onbroadside shots--penetrate the animal. Load was 100 grains Pyrodex pellets. Would a 300 grain XTP give better penetration? If not, what would you recommend?
Old 11-12-2006, 10:02 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: 240 GR. vs 300 GR, XTP

Very interesting results with the 240 grain XTP. Others claim such excellent stopping power and even blood trails. I guess it all boils down to where the deer was hit. But you do seem to have lots of field experience with the projectile.

I've never shot deer with XTP's yet. I would think you would have more energy with the 300 grains and possibly better penetration otherwise I think I might look at a shockwaves type bullet and see if that does not work better.

It's obvious that your a skilled tracker to be able to find deer leaving no blood trail, into thickets. I hunt thickets and know what you're dealing with... Good job on the deer.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

i would think a heavier slower bullet would expand better like the 300 gr. xtp-s. i would look at your charge too.maybe too hot? how much powder are you using? i remember the days of using 100 grains. an old timer told me to drop down to 70 for starters and my groups did so much better. i wonder if you can buy ballistics gel. it would be neet to test your personal loads for expansion at different ranges. i have seen many critters hit with a well placed shot and not bleed. they never went far but there aint nothing like a good blood trail.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:34 AM
Typical Buck

Keyshunter

Use the search feature to review several of the threads recently discussing this topic

I hunt some of the thickest cover imaginable. I shot three deer last season with my muzzleloader and I lost one of them and nearly lost another after they ran off from good shots at distances of 100 yards or less. I was using the Hornady SST 250 gr., .452 bullet last year in MPH12 sabots and 100 gr of 777 pellets. Very little blood, small exit wound or none at all. Those bullets shot paper great but didn't work for me in this jungle I hunt in. I need rapid expansion and deep, dependable penetration. To get that one has to sacrifice something, and for me that is range.

I am usingthe Speer Gold Dot 300 gr. bullet this year and I am impressed with its performance in the one and only deer I've shot so far. Take a look at the other thread and pictures of the recovered bullet. By using this heaver, hollow-point bullet I am giving up some range over the 250gr SST, and I am OK with that. The conditions at my place rarely allow a shot any greater than 100 yards anyway. These are bonded bullets and won't seperate or come apart. The are reasonably priced too, about $15.00 for a box of 50 from Midway.

Feel free PM me or email if you have any additional questions.

Mouthcaller

([email protected])
Old 11-12-2006, 11:33 AM

I have only shot one deer but I shot it with a 300 grain XTP 100 grains of pyrodex at about 30 yards. Thebullet went in the left shoulder exited behind the right and the deer went about 4 feetitthere was blood and tissue spattering for a good 10 feet behind the deer and Is visible on the log if you look closely at the photo .

I picked this bullet in case I ran into a bear and decided to take it!

On field dressing the deer the left shoulder blade was broken and the lungs were like rasberry jamexit wound about the size of a half dollarif I were to use a saboted bullet for any game in North America This is the only one I would use

Old 11-12-2006, 11:50 AM
Fork Horn

Cayugad,
Thanks for the compliment. In my case, however, it's probably more perseverence than skill. But, I have tracked quite a few wounded deer (both my own, and others) over the past 52 years, and a little blood can be very helpful.I do remember saying aloud while I was crawling through the briars tracking this last buck, "I'm getting too old for this sh..err stuff."
Old 11-12-2006, 12:12 PM
Dominant Buck

My first big'n with BP BuddyBo shoots the same rifle and sabots as I do!
Old 11-12-2006, 12:45 PM
Dominant Buck

keyhunter - been there, done that, and have the T-shirt to prove it.

A few years back I shot a monsterdoe with a roundball and she ran 70 yards into some of the most nasty stuff ever. A cedar/tag alder marsh is not a nice place to travel. It was even hard to walk & crawl through. She managed to cross the creek of coursefor me and then flopped over dead.Field dressed she went 138 pounds. After I pulled, dragged, carried, fell in the creek with, and threatened to leaveher, I was finally ableto get her out of that thicket, It was one of the first times I realised just how old I really was.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:57 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: keyshunter

Cayugad,
Thanks for the compliment. In my case, however, it's probably more perseverence than skill. But, I have tracked quite a few wounded deer (both my own, and others) over the past 52 years, and a little blood can be very helpful.I do remember saying aloud while I was crawling through the briars tracking this last buck, "I'm getting too old for this sh..err stuff."

I'm going on 67.......Ouch!
Old 11-12-2006, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: keyshunter

I have been using T/C Mag sabots with 240 grain XTP's. I have shot 5 deer with that bullet, at ranges from 35 to 95 yards. All have been chest shots and not one gave any sign of being hit. Every deer traveled at least 80 yards after the shot. All were recovered, and none of the bullets penetrated the animal and blood trail (if any) was very sparce, and close to the place the deer was found.

Thefifthdeer, an average 8 point buck, was shot the other day. Shot at about 35 yards, he gave absolutely no sign of being hit. There was a small amount of hair at theplace he was shot and not a drop of blood could be found except right at the place he was found--about 125 yards (and 2 hours)away in one of the thickest, most briar infested places onmy farm. Shot was broadside behind the right shoulder, the bullet stopped under the hide on the left side. Shot a a downward angle, the chest cavity was filled with blood, but none seemed to leak out. The bullet mushroom was very pretty (as were all the others) , but I would like to find a bullet that would--at least onbroadside shots--penetrate the animal. Load was 100 grains Pyrodex pellets. Would a 300 grain XTP give better penetration? If not, what would you recommend?
All those words you used to describe your activity& bullet - yet no mention of powder or powder volume used.

When I aim, I draw an imaginary line across the body and stay away form the half-way point& higher. I find that little crease next to the upper part of the front leg - follow it up a couple of inches & that's where I squeeze my trigger to. Betterblood trails below the half-way point- often times a double-lunger and none or very little bone cracking going on - depending on the angle which the deer standing.

Yes, in this sport, bigger is mostly better. But best of all, bigger is usually the same price too. I reach for the biggest, baddest bullet that's made in the design I want. For shots under 175 yards, a lead bullet is all you need & most of those are flat nose or hollow points that expand well - leaving good blood trails.

Had that deer you shot been hit by one of my Buffalo S.S.B's in 375 or 435 grain, you would of been alot more impressed.

That's my opinion (everything I mentioned)& I'm sticking to it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.