Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

whats up?

Old 11-28-2007, 10:02 PM

Default whats up?

Whats up with everybody? Haven't been on for a while. Been flinging arrows since the middle of september here in Indiana. Muzzleloader doesn't start for 2 weeks and will be taking the optima out tomorrow to see if it needs tweeked.

Hope all is having a good season with their weapon of choice!
Old 11-29-2007, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: whats up?

It is shotgun season here, but I take the muzzleloader instead. Here we can hunt with bow, muzzleloader, shotgun or handgun (with permit) during shotgun season. I trust my CVA more than my shotgun if I have to go out further than 50 yards.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Still trying to kill my second deer. While filling the feeders yesterday, i drew down of a big doe but she had a very small fawn with her. That fawn would not have survived without Mom, so i passed.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:48 AM
Dominant Buck

What's Up?

I saw a few does but nothing with horns so far. With the deerpopulation as low as it is in my area, I have decided no more doe hunting. While our Department of Natural Resources claims deer herds are at record highs, they must have not ever looked around my place. All my neighbors agree that the numbers are seriously low. Of course they like to blame the wolves in the area, but they forget all the doe the took out of the herds for the last several years. So if I get skunked, that's all right too. Its just being out in the woods I enjoy.

Also been doing some grouse hunting with some good results. Hunting them with a black powder single shotgun sure does lower the odds. AND , I got within 20 yards of a MONSTER gobbler the other day. I actually saw something coming through the under brush and thought it might be a bear. I was kind of releived when it stepped out in the open.

Deer hunting to me is no longer about killing deer or filling freezers. I used to be just crazy trying to get any kind of deer. Now that just does not seem important to me anymore. That has to be a sure sign of getting old I guess. Although if something with horns walked by, I'd be more then glad to make smoke.. Be safe hunting out there. It was 2ºs, windy and lightly snowing this morning. Not real pleasant out there. So that is what I have been up to...
Old 11-29-2007, 09:53 AM
Fork Horn

Well, Dave - part of that "Deer hunting to me is no longer about killing deer or filling freezers" is because you don't like to exert the effort to drag 'em out unless it's really going to be worth it!
For me, I got a buck and a doe during rifle season - was going to go out with the wife today so she'd have another chance to fill one of her tags, but the wind is howling with the wind chill just above zero, and she would have been frozen in 15 minutes. Since we drive 2+ hrs. to where we hunt, we didn't think it would be worth it.
Archery season re-opensDec. 1 - Jan. 1 and MZ season is Dec. 14-23. I'm really hoping to be able to score again with the White Ultra Mag.

Good Luck to All

Old 11-29-2007, 10:22 AM

ORIGINAL: cayugad

What's Up?

I saw a few does but nothing with horns so far. With the deerpopulation as low as it is in my area, I have decided no more doe hunting. While our Department of Natural Resources claims deer herds are at record highs, they must have not ever looked around my place. All my neighbors agree that the numbers are seriously low. Of course they like to blame the wolves in the area, but they forget all the doe the took out of the herds for the last several years. So if I get skunked, that's all right too. Its just being out in the woods I enjoy.

Also been doing some grouse hunting with some good results. Hunting them with a black powder single shotgun sure does lower the odds. AND , I got within 20 yards of a MONSTER gobbler the other day. I actually saw something coming through the under brush and thought it might be a bear. I was kind of releived when it stepped out in the open.

Deer hunting to me is no longer about killing deer or filling freezers. I used to be just crazy trying to get any kind of deer. Now that just does not seem important to me anymore. That has to be a sure sign of getting old I guess. Although if something with horns walked by, I'd be more then glad to make smoke.. Be safe hunting out there. It was 2ºs, windy and lightly snowing this morning. Not real pleasant out there. So that is what I have been up to...
Dave, I agree with you as far as being picky. The majority of the hunting experience for me lies in the quest. Each hunt is a new experience. I have passed up many shot opportunities with the bow; mostly does and small baskets. The big boys are just now showing themselves. Here in Indiana, we have a lot of younger does where I hunt. I tend to believe this draws the rutting period out. I am waiting for a big guy to find a hot youngin between now and the end of late archery. I'll take a couple does for meat.....no hurry.

After you guys got me so pumped and educated about muzzleloaders, I am itching to get the Optima out and taken some of those does. Good luck to all!
Old 11-29-2007, 10:40 AM
Dominant Buck

jaybe -
Well, Dave - part of that "Deer hunting to me is no longer about killing deer or filling freezers" is because you don't like to exert the effort to drag 'em out unless it's really going to be worth it!
you guessed it.. Actually, I have never killed a BIG BUCK. Not one that I said to myself, WOW that needs to go on the wall of the office. I have always settled for a smaller buck that filled the freezers. Now I am going to get something BIG or nothing at all.. Some of the deer you guys are shooting are just outstanding. But as for that exerting effort part..

Meet my dragger.. that devil can pull three deerat the same time and never break a sweat. Tie them to the back, or throw them on a rack.. it could care less.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Meet my dragger

Ain't them rubber footed horses grand.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:55 AM
Dominant Buck

Ain't them rubber footed horses grand.

Actually a couple grand, but well worth the money.. those things are workhorses. I do not know what I would do without it. I plow snow with it, drive it all over the forest, not to mention,I was bringing firewood out of my woods this spring and got to thinking how in the old days, they would have had to drag all that out either by hand or with horse. Hard to picture someone going through that much work. Then add to that a chainsaw VS a hand axe and bucksaw..(both of which I have practical experience with)WOW!! Technology is sure great sometimes.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:12 PM
Fork Horn

Well Dave, since you're waitin' for a bigg one, I hope you get one that makes that red puppy groan!!

Quick Reply: whats up?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.