HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   My first ML deer taken Saturday (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/216095-my-first-ml-deer-taken-saturday.html)

2006HighSierra 11-05-2007 04:48 PM

My first ML deer taken Saturday

I took him Saturday morning, opening of ML in TN. I climbed down from my stand about 8:45 over one of the bedding areas after only a few passing by in the darkness. I started walking out this ridge and I spotted the little guy feeding down in a small clearing. Luckily it was pretty windy and aided my sneaking. I got to within 100 yards above him and found a good tree to rest against. I shot and saw him flop down but much to my suprise jump back up and take off down the hill. He made it about 70 yards before expiring which suprised me. I was shooting a 300gr Shockwave( I usually shoot 338gr PB Platinums but I ran out at the range and everyone was sold out) and the bullet entered just behind the shoulder, destroyed the shoulder and exited the center of the chest, hitting the heart and lung leaving about a 3" exit hole. After I tracked him it was a pain in the butt mile drag back up and around this mountain top b/c I couldnt even get back up where I came down, much less dragging a deer. But although I had figured the shockwave would knock him down abit better I still recovered my animal and will be enjoying the meat. So when my Powerbelts get in maybe I can go looking for a buck with some headgear.

Roach91 11-05-2007 05:16 PM

RE: My first ML deer taken Saturday

Congrats...I have yet to take one with a Muzzleloader

cayugad 11-05-2007 05:31 PM

Congratulations on the deer. It actually sounds like the Shockwave did exactly as it was intended or designed to do. Why these animals can take such a hit and still find the strength to get back up and run like they do is a wonder. Good luck chasing that next big buck.

Big Ol Gobbler 11-05-2007 06:07 PM

Congrats! He should offer some good meals.

rks1949 11-05-2007 06:30 PM

Congrats! Sounds like you earned that deer! Yeah,they are tough. They can run,when they should be dead right there.

yeoman 11-05-2007 06:41 PM

First of many! Congratulations.

Semisane 11-05-2007 07:26 PM

Way to go HighSierra. Hope you had help with thatlong drag. If you did it by yourself, well - YOU DA' MAN!

Semisane 11-05-2007 07:30 PM

Hey guys, did you ever wonder why a shot deer never seems to run in the direction of your truck?

rks1949 11-05-2007 07:54 PM

I had one almost load it's self,once. Don't happen very often though.

2006HighSierra 11-06-2007 03:05 PM

Funny story from that too, group of hikers where at the road were i had my truck parked. Which first off only half of them had blaze orange vests, no hats, the rest had none and they were hiking in the middle of some foodplots on a WMA during opening of ML. Not too bright but one of them actually asked "so did ya drag that deer all the way up here?" Uh,no, I rode him to the bottom of this hill but after he bucked me off I knew his time had come! Luckily I did have a buddy come help with the drag b/c there was alot of logs and stuff on the trail to carry it over and it probably got carried as much as drug. If it wasnt for him I'd probably been another hour dragging it out.