HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   one week til ml season opens and need to work up a new load (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/215707-one-week-til-ml-season-opens-need-work-up-new-load.html)

corey012778 11-03-2007 04:09 PM

one week til ml season opens and need to work up a new load

Less then a week til ML opens west of the blue ridge (va). I got one session too work up a new load for my ML. Every gun shop and walmart are out of the bullets I first worked up (walmart is out of every bullet they carried but t/c maxi hunter). I got some t/c surefires w/ 230 gr ? bullet. I have a 1/4 of a pound of powder and 20 tubes (yes most are tubes that had glitter in them).

My gun:
usak
what I have:
5 240 xtp w/mag express
8 245 gr powerbelts
30+ 230gr w/surefire sabots
1 bag minus 5 sabots of black mmp
1 bag of green mmp

1: do I have enough pyrodex p to do 20 loads and at least 3 to 6 loads for hunting?

2: I have been firing the 240 gr xtps with 85 gr of pyrodex p, and the 245 gr powerbelts group the same but high right with the same. and did I little work with the 230 gr/ surefire with the same amount of pyrodex p I was hitting center but to the left with about 3in group at 50 yrd. Should I use 85 grs of pyrodex p as my starting point? (I did find the problems from last weeks session)

I hate this having problems the week before opening day.

Underclocked 11-03-2007 05:49 PM

RE: one week til ml season opens and need to work up a new load

#1- yes, so long as you don't spill any. 1/4 lb = ~1750 grains weight

85 grains by volume of PyroPwill weigh roughly 75 grains (SWAG but probably very close)

1750/75 = ~23 loads

#2 - I really don't know how to respond but, since that is the charge you seem to have verified, yes - but limit your shots to 50 yards and aim for the center of the boiler room.

corey012778 11-03-2007 09:52 PM

ORIGINAL: Underclocked

#1- yes, so long as you don't spill any. 1/4 lb = ~1750 grains weight

85 grains by volume of PyroPwill weigh roughly 75 grains (SWAG but probably very close)

1750/75 = ~23 loads

#2 - I really don't know how to respond but, since that is the charge you seem to have verified, yes - but limit your shots to 50 yards and aim for the center of the boiler room.
OMG UC did not have anything smartass to say to me, ;)

thanks man, I was getting upset about all this. on the powder I talked it over with my wife, I am going to pick up somemore pyrodex p on monday, I know a place that is saling it for $15 (about $2 cheaper then anywhere else) and I know that they are going to have some (hope). When I bought my first can they had four last time I checked they had three.

rks1949 11-04-2007 03:40 AM

Yeah,if you are hunting "heavy timber" and limmiting your shots to 50yds,and under any of the above loads will work. Shoot the gun at 50yds. see which combination (groups) best,dosen't make any diffrence where it hits on the target,you can adjust your sights to center them up. Don't wait so long next year to shoot the gun,it will give you lots of time to find out what your gun,and you can "really' do,not to mention taking the "last minute" pressure off of you. Ron

Underclocked 11-04-2007 08:51 AM

Corey, even I have to take a break from sometimes. :D ;)

corey012778 11-04-2007 01:40 PM

I only got ml 3 months ago. been working hard with the xtps, just every one is out of the ones with sabots, most places are out of the bulks in the 45, and where extremely low on the 44's. I still would have had to do a little work. but I am planning on shooting more after hunting season, I have 6 (=/- 1) weeks of hunting coming up.