Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Harvestor Crush Rib >

Harvestor Crush Rib

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Harvestor Crush Rib

Old 11-03-2007, 07:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default Harvestor Crush Rib

I was just looking at the back of a package of harvestor crush rib sabots. What i read suprised me. '' TO CHECK RIFLE FOR ACCURACY,CLEAN AND LUBE BARRREL BETWEEN SHOTS Your thoughts? I never have lubed between shots.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:30 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Harvestor Crush Rib

Neither haveI and I have no intention of starting. The crushed rib are made to load easier. So I see no reason to lube a barrel to make them load even more easy. I sometimes wonder if these instructions are written or at least thought up by people that have no idea of what they are doing. I think there are a lot of these that might write the instructions that really have little range or field experience.

Also, have you ever had the opportunity to talk in length to clerks in stores that claim they are muzzleloader enthusiasts? There was one gentlemanin a Wal Mart once that was passing out information to potential muzzleloading customers, telling them of his practical knowledge in the sport, that was so far out of line it scared me. And this person was giving advise to people that had no background information to doubt his word.

They Harvester Crushed Rib sabots are a favorite sabot of mine. I was shooting them yesterday and really learned the difference when I accidentally grabbed the wrong sabot and almost had to pound the mistake, practically down the bore.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:24 PM
Spike

I use the harvester crush rib sabots myself. Use em in a Knight Bighorn and they not only fit just about perfect but my shots are pretty good too. I also use them in one of my flintlocks that has a 1:28 twist barrel. I have never lubed the barrel before I shot but do swab with alcohol between each shot.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Regulars on this forum have seen the many things I've tried to get my Mustang shooting tight groups. After a LOT of experimentation, I settled for three inch groups with my best hunting load. See http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2406810&mpage=1&key=&#240681 0

I read the same thing on the Crush Rib package. In my last two range sessions - with the same load I referred to in that post - I began wiping the barrelwith a patch lightly dampened with Rem-Oil after I load the bullet. My group averages have shrunk from and average of 3" to an average of 1 & 1/2". I'm gettingthe best 5-shot groups I've ever gotten. As of now its my standard procedure. The bonus is that I'm sighted in for clean barrel hunting and can leave the load in the barrel forever without worry about rust.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Semisane

Regulars on this forum have seen the many things I've tried to get my Mustang shooting tight groups. After a LOT of experimentation, I settled for three inch groups with my best hunting load. See http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2406810&mpage=1&key=&#240681 0

I read the same thing on the Crush Rib package. In my last two range sessions - with the same load I referred to in that post - I began wiping the barrelwith a patch lightly dampened with Rem-Oil after I load the bullet. My group averages have shrunk from and average of 3" to an average of 1 & 1/2". I'm gettingthe best 5-shot groups I've ever gotten. As of now its my standard procedure. The bonus is that I'm sighted in for clean barrel hunting and can leave the load in the barrel forever without worry about rust.
Glad to hear you finally found a load that shoots well in the Mustang! The clean oiled bore doesn't seem like it's all that good of an idea, but if it works -
Old 11-04-2007, 11:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks wabi. I'm a happy camper. Now I'm wondering if I should go back to a couple of other loads that shot "pretty good" and try them with the oiled bore. Will the insanity never end!
Old 11-05-2007, 07:45 AM
Dominant Buck

Will the insanity never end!
With a name like yours.. I doubt it. Besides, thats what makes these rifles do much fun.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Next you'll be trying that nasty old "bore butter" on your sabots.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:06 AM
Typical Buck

semi

Did lubing the bore move your groups much higher?
Old 11-05-2007, 12:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Groups stayed in about the same place Lane. If they were higher it was no more than 1/2". Velocity was in the same range also.

Quick Reply: Harvestor Crush Rib

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.