Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Breaking into muzzleloading >

Breaking into muzzleloading

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Breaking into muzzleloading

Old 11-06-2007, 07:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Breaking into muzzleloading

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=8334695 here is one to keep your eye on. NIB New In the Box and it is a open auction. Normally they go for under $200.00. I have seen them go to $149.00 and even cheaper. A nice little rifle.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:18 AM
Fork Horn

With the Knight Wolverine starter package, what else would I need to get started? What else to add to the list:

1) powder
2) range rod? (I've read it is better for use at the range than the one that comes with the gun)

Any thing useful this package is lacking that I would need to consider?

P.S. Some folks have referenced the Chuck Hawks web site, but he and Randy Wakeman don't seem to be impressed with CVA muzzleloaders. What gives? Appears they think you stand a chance of them blowing up when shooting.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: xd9x19

With the Knight Wolverine starter package, what else would I need to get started? What else to add to the list:

1) powder
2) range rod? (I've read it is better for use at the range than the one that comes with the gun)

Any thing useful this package is lacking that I would need to consider?

P.S. Some folks have referenced the Chuck Hawks web site, but he and Randy Wakeman don't seem to be impressed with CVA muzzleloaders. What gives? Appears they think you stand a chance of them blowing up when shooting.
One person's opinion should not sway you---look for consistency across of collection of knowledgable people--Chad S (Editor of BlackPowder Guns and Hunting Magazine, only shoots with CVA, but I believe the Magazine is produced by a parent company of CVA). Randy has a lot of knowledge and experience, but I believe he likes "American Made", therefore he goes for Kngiht, TC or Savage. I think the early CVA were not a well made, but the newermodel are great rifles. I don't think you can go wrong with any major brand, they will all do the job, your buying "reputation" more than "killing power".
Chap Gleason
Old 11-08-2007, 01:23 PM
Fork Horn

I did "google" CVA and couldn't find anything bad about them...no recent reports of rifles blowing up other than whatever instances Wakeman refers to in his article ("commentary"?) that occurred back in 95 or 96.

Anyway, I did find this Omega "starter pack" for $306 delivered. A hundred twenty-five more than the Knight Wolverine, but I do like the pivoting breech for the 209s. I wonder how good Santa thinks I've been this year?? Maybe I should get the last 3 rooms of our new-to-us house painted by December.

Edited to add:

Hmmm....now I find that Cabela's has a Omega Z5 on sale for $250.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:32 PM
Dominant Buck

I personally think a starter pack is a waste of money. Pick the rifle you want. Get the accessories you want. And have the kind of rifle you want at the price you can afford. The Wolverine is a great rifle. The Omega is a good rifle also. Check your Wal Mart. They had the same Omega Z with a starter pack for under $300.00. There are a couple things in that starter pack that are worthless. The bore butter and the T/C #13 bore cleaner I have little to no use for. And the other bullets are just window dressing.

They also had a brand new CVA Buckhorn Magnum .50 caliber for $99.95 today. I asked to handle it. Then told him he better take it away from me before I do something stupid. What a nice rifle to shoulder and handle. It actually had pretty good hardware to barrel fit. And the grips on the stock were a nice touch. But I kept telling myself, you own a Staghorn. Go home. Shoot Staghorn... and left the store.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:13 PM

Well, I picked up the Knight Disc that was for sale on this site. I haven't really had the chance to break into it yet, but it seems like a great place to get started. Now I need to spend some time in the manuals to figure out what to do with it.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

I personally think a starter pack is a waste of money. Pick the rifle you want. Get the accessories you want. And have the kind of rifle you want at the price you can afford. The Wolverine is a great rifle. The Omega is a good rifle also. Check your Wal Mart. They had the same Omega Z with a starter pack for under $300.00. There are a couple things in that starter pack that are worthless. The bore butter and the T/C #13 bore cleaner I have little to no use for. And the other bullets are just window dressing.

They also had a brand new CVA Buckhorn Magnum .50 caliber for $99.95 today. I asked to handle it. Then told him he better take it away from me before I do something stupid. What a nice rifle to shoulder and handle. It actually had pretty good hardware to barrel fit. And the grips on the stock were a nice touch. But I kept telling myself, you own a Staghorn. Go home. Shoot Staghorn... and left the store.
If your on this forum, chances are you don't need the starter pack, since you pick up info reading the threads. If your totally clueless about MLing, then get the starter pack and use thier "book loads" in the owners manual, shoot them till you can hit and get. Chap
Old 11-09-2007, 03:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Martlet

Well, I picked up the Knight Disc that was for sale on this site. I haven't really had the chance to break into it yet, but it seems like a great place to get started. Now I need to spend some time in the manuals to figure out what to do with it.
I shot a Knight Disc for 5 years and really liked it, accurate gun. They are a good well made gun. You will NOT be disappointed. I shot 100g of 777 loose, 300g Nosler Partition and crushed rib sabot in mine. I strted wiht Knight 260 all lead bullet, went to PBs for 4 years, then graduated to Nosler's after a disaster with PBs in 2004/5 season. I did shoot 777 pellets and Prodex pellets also and both worked fine. 3" groups were my norm at 100 yards. I did get 2" groups with the Noslers and loose powder.
Chap
Old 11-16-2007, 01:35 PM
Fork Horn

Was in Bass Pro last night to get my big game license and browsed through the muzzleloaders. Unfortunately, they were sold out of the Knight Wolverine package gun, so I didn't get to try that one out or get a closer look at it. I think I may hold out for either the CVA Optima or the Omega. The sights on the CVA Wolf were not very big. It was much easier to get a sight picture with some of the other rifles. There was even a stainless Winchester (CVA?) for $250. The Omega was really my favorite after holding one. The sights were nice and I like the pivoting cation.

I was in my local Wal-mart today and they had the Omega Z5 with thumbhole stock for $298. Be nice to pick one of those up on clearance after the season....I'll have to remember to make a weekly trip through sporting goods to monitor the situation.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:26 PM

If its the winchester apex, Get it!