Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Breaking into muzzleloading >

Breaking into muzzleloading

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Breaking into muzzleloading

Old 11-02-2007, 07:27 PM

Default Breaking into muzzleloading

I'm thinking of taking the plunge and extending my barrel time this year with black powder. For someone who has never fired a muzzleloader and knows zero about them, what suggestions would you have? I'm looking to get a decent gun that won't break the bank, or drive me nuts while I'm learning the ins and outs of black powder. Are there any online resources for used guns as well?
Old 11-02-2007, 07:30 PM

Default RE: Breaking into muzzleloading

i have an excellent shooting cva staghorn i can sell you cheap. Im getting out of the inline business and need to start moving the rifles out. Its an excellent shooting rifle, smooth crisp trigger, shoots conicals and sabots excellently. Its a great gun for a beginner. PM me and i'll get you some pics and info.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:32 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Martlet

I'm thinking of taking the plunge and extending my barrel time this year with black powder. For someone who has never fired a muzzleloader and knows zero about them, what suggestions would you have? I'm looking to get a decent gun that won't break the bank, or drive me nuts while I'm learning the ins and outs of black powder. Are there any online resources for used guns as well?
Auction Arms. Com and Gun Broker. Com are loaded with black powder rifles of all types. There are normally some good deals on some very good inlines. Get a .50 caliber and get a name brand if you can. You should be all right. If you find one that interests you, let us know and we can take a look at it for you and see what it is and if it might be something for you.

Also check Wal Mart. They have a CVA Buckhorn Magnum at mine for $109.99. For an entry level good starting rifle it would be hard to go wrong with that or a Wolf for $129.99 at Wal Mart also. Although, check the auction sites. It will give you a good idea of what some of the rifles are really worth if you decide you want to sell them.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:37 PM

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Auction Arms. Com and Gun Broker. Com are loaded with black powder rifles of all types. There are normally some good deals on some very good inlines. Get a .50 caliber and get a name brand if you can. You should be all right. If you find one that interests you, let us know and we can take a look at it for you and see what it is and if it might be something for you.

Also check Wal Mart. They have a CVA Buckhorn Magnum at mine for $109.99. For an entry level good starting rifle it would be hard to go wrong with that or a Wolf for $129.99 at Wal Mart also. Although, check the auction sites. It will give you a good idea of what some of the rifles are really worth if you decide you want to sell them.
I'll check those sites. Thanks! Wal Mart is out of the question, though. I live in Massachusetts. That's why I'm looking online. Most stores don't carry squat. Wally World doesn't even sell firearms, or hardly any sporting goods, anymore
Old 11-03-2007, 12:50 PM

Bass Pro had a T/C .50 inline for 119. last week. I think it goes on for a few weeks yet. Thegood thing about a M/L is it does not require a ffl and can be ordered online and shipped to you direct. I am kinda partial to Knight. the T/C Encore is a neat concept, 3 barrells, M/L, rifle, and shotgun.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:14 PM

ORIGINAL: jmstevens2

Bass Pro had a T/C .50 inline for 119. last week. I think it goes on for a few weeks yet. Thegood thing about a M/L is it does not require a ffl and can be ordered online and shipped to you direct. I am kinda partial to Knight. the T/C Encore is a neat concept, 3 barrells, M/L, rifle, and shotgun.
I'll take a look. Many places won't ship muzzleloaders to MA even though an FFL is not required. This includes reloading supplies, too.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

T/C Omega. Cabellas just had them on sale for $248. There not right now, but I'd keep an eye out. They do cost around $300 most places, but it's a darn good rifle for the money. I think the extra hundred bucks is well worth it.JMO of course. There are also some good shooting CVA's out there. (from what I hear)

chris
Old 11-04-2007, 12:43 PM
Typical Buck

you can get a CVA wolf or kodiak for just under $200. I can't speak for the kodiak but the wolf is a fine little rifle.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:12 PM
Fork Horn

I've thought about getting a muzzleloader a few times, but getting one and then going through a seemingly long process of finding the right combination of bullet type and powder (pyrodex, black powder, etc) seems a bit overwhelming. How do you know when you have a good load? When you get a certain size group?

Maybe I'm making it more complicated than it needs to be. I think my associate at work hasn't ever worried about such fine points and just uses round balls and black powder.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:16 PM
Spike

This and some powder is all you need.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_96052_400003001_400000000_400003000_400-3-1

Quick Reply: Breaking into muzzleloading

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.