HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Powder Vs. Pellets (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/215084-powder-vs-pellets.html)

IndyHunter83 10-30-2007 07:58 PM

Powder Vs. Pellets

I've been meaning to ask this question for awhile but haven't gotten around to it. In my quest for better accuracy I've been investigating any and all details that could through me off. I've shot both powder pellets and loose powder at one time or another during my experience in muzzleloading. I switched from pellets to loose because I had heard that it would improve accuracy. This doesn't make sense to me because of possibility of human error involved in measuring the powder. My question is, is there a difference inhow each one burns or how they effect the accuracyof my rifle? Or is it pretty much user's preference.

cayugad 10-30-2007 08:12 PM

RE: Powder Vs. Pellets

While user preference plays a big part, there is differences. When one claims that loose powder is more accurate or at least the possibility exhists that you could be more accurate, they are talking about the ability to get picky with loads. People who like to tinker with loads can try just bumping the volume measure to see if they can squeeze that little bit more accuracy. Actually five grains here or there will not make the end of the world. But still some like to monkey with loads. Some of us weigh our loose powder loads for exactly what the rifle likes. Others just rely on the volume measure.

Another advantge is cost. Pellets are expensive. Also look over your pellets. Any parts missing from the pellet? Never accidentally drop one and have it break. Are you still at the same load?

Personally for me it is cost. I shoot over 25+ pounds of powder a year. Make up that same in pellets and study cost. The difference is big. I have shot pellets. I actually had fun shooting them. My rifles liked them. And it was fun shooting 150 grain loads out of some of the rifles, just to see what it was like. Once they were gone, it was really no problem to go back to loose.

If you're one of these that shoot a couple times a year, and maybe just hunt with your muzzleloader, then clean it and put it away for another year.. pellets might be a very good selection. Especially if you shoot modern inline rifles with the hotter ignition that seem to be made for the 100 grain loads.

IndyHunter83 10-30-2007 08:26 PM

I've alway hunted with loose powder in my other muzzleloaders because I've just figured that was what to do. When I got the wolf last year I shot pellets because I was shooting mag loads. When I was sighting in the other day I ran out of the pellets and used some of my loose powder. Gun seemed to like it better and it seemed easier to me to just measure out my powder rather than try to think about what combination of pellets to use. I figure maybe I'll just keep with the loose for now simply because as cayugad pointed out it is cheaper

rks1949 10-30-2007 08:31 PM

ORIGINAL: cayugad

While user preference plays a big part, there is differences. When one claims that loose powder is more accurate or at least the possibility exhists that you could be more accurate, they are talking about the ability to get picky with loads. People who like to tinker with loads can try just bumping the volume measure to see if they can squeeze that little bit more accuracy. Actually five grains here or there will not make the end of the world. But still some like to monkey with loads. Some of us weigh our loose powder loads for exactly what the rifle likes. Others just rely on the volume measure.

Another advantge is cost. Pellets are expensive. Also look over your pellets. Any parts missing from the pellet? Never accidentally drop one and have it break. Are you still at the same load?

Personally for me it is cost. I shoot over 25+ pounds of powder a year. Make up that same in pellets and study cost. The difference is big. I have shot pellets. I actually had fun shooting them. My rifles liked them. And it was fun shooting 150 grain loads out of some of the rifles, just to see what it was like. Once they were gone, it was really no problem to go back to loose.

If you're one of these that shoot a couple times a year, and maybe just hunt with your muzzleloader, then clean it and put it away for another year.. pellets might be a very good selection. Especially if you shoot modern inline rifles with the hotter ignition that seem to be made for the 100 grain loads.
cayugad,hit the nail right on the head!If you don't shoot allot,and only use your gun for hunting,the pellets are a good choice. But if you are "real picky" loose powder will squeeze out that last inch of accuracy. No two guns like the same load,not to say that 100 grs. won't shoot respectable in two diffrent guns,but you can custom "tune your loads" and get outstanding accuracy if you want to put out the effort,and range time. A gun that will shoot 2-3 inch groups will kill every deer that comes within a 100yds of it. Having a gun that will consistantly shoot under 2 inches,will build confidence in your shooting ability,and that inturn will help you make the shot when the time comes. You know what theO'l Smokepole will do,and that helps in more ways than I can express. Ron

Underclocked 10-31-2007 05:19 AM

So far as errors in measuring loose powder - try weighing each pellet in a new container.

falcon 10-31-2007 05:25 AM

i use both Pyrodex granular and Pyrodex pellets in one of my guns. The pigs never know the difference.

sjsfire 10-31-2007 07:37 AM

I've shot both loose and pellets in Pyrodex. I'm fairly new so I'm still trying to get a handle on this power choice stuff. What I did noticeisthere wasn't much differencebetween the two working up a hunting load. I'm going with the pellets this year to hunt, the only reason being is if I need a follow up shot and I spill some loose reloading I don't have to worry about how much I got down the barrel. If I drop a pellet so be it, drop another down. Plus I'm using the clear tube speed loaders that hold the pellets and sabot together. For "fun" shooting off season I'll just use the loose and buy bulk XTP's. Anyhow thats my thinking.