HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   The low down JSG vs 777 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/214024-low-down-jsg-vs-777-a.html)

drh1175 10-25-2007 09:24 AM

The low down JSG vs 777

I have used the JSG 2f in my new omega and like it so far. It shoots so clean. For those who have shot both what is the difference? Is either dirtier or more corosive?

lemoyne 10-25-2007 09:39 AM

RE: The low down JSG vs 777

777 which I use in my Triumph leaves a lot of hard crud even if you dont get a crud ring it is also harder to ignite,
on the other hand it is very strong [has more potential enegry] and very reliable.
I shot APP-FF in the Omega for two years and it is very clean and low pressure by the strain gage but you need about 10% more powder to equal RS results; I quit using it because I got 3 bad cans [very frustrating] the bad stuff shoots all over the place with a very wide range of velocities and you can not be sure whats wrong till you try another can or a different powder. Lee

flint head 10-25-2007 09:45 AM

777 is faster, less variation in fps = usually better groups, more corrosive, dirtier, 777 has crud ring problems in some rifles which can make loading a fast second shot all but impossible... all that being said, I love the JSG Sticks in my Pro-Hunter. It's so easy to clean it's just funny,,, my 100 yard groups stay at less than two inches out to 150 yards in any weather,,, and it is a proven powder on the world stage of hunting,,, last but not least Jim Shockey is cooler than a guy dressed in a deer suit.:D:D

lemoyne 10-25-2007 10:02 AM

flint head, I hope for your sake that they have corrected what ever was the problem, if they have not you will find out sooner or later. I keep wondering, it really is an unbelieveably clean shooting and easy to clean powder, I just can not bring myself to trust them after 3 bad cans. Lee

flint head 10-25-2007 10:46 AM

Lemoyne, I've shot two cans of the Sticks with out one single problem and have all the confidence in the world with this powder. I've told this story a couple of times but back this summer when it was 110 I shot loose 2f 777, 777 pellets, and the JSG Sticks... the Sticks performed just as they did when it was cool out but the 777 acted strangly. In all fairness I also shot JSG 3f that same day,,, it was around four inches high at fifty and ten inches low at 100 [&:]... if my Sticks ever start to act like that then I'll have to do something, but so far I love them! By the way, the 777 loads opened up to around five inches in the heat and were under MOA in the cool... all shots were with my Omega.

drh1175 10-25-2007 11:04 AM

I bought a can of the sticks and the ffg JSG. I really liked it. Thought it shot good out of my omega. And yes it sure is clean. I shot once and cleaned. Then shot 9 more times before cleaning. My swabs came out the same with 1 shot or 9. Seems like the first shot dirtys the barrel and everything else goes out of the barrel from there on out. Accuraccy seems to improve as well when dirty. Was just wondering what the take was vs the two since I only have shot the JSG in both forms.

CAJUNBOWHNTR 10-30-2007 03:53 PM

I'm about to find out because I cannot get consistent groups with 777 in my omega.After one shot it is impossible to get the bullet seated to the same depth without some serious swabbing.I use the 777 in an older thunderhawk and it works very well but the omega just don't like it.

CB