Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 bench, sand bags etc.  How do u sight in? >

bench, sand bags etc. How do u sight in?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

bench, sand bags etc. How do u sight in?

Old 10-24-2007, 09:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default bench, sand bags etc. How do u sight in?

I've done a fair job at best of sighting in my ML (and rifle for that reason) for the last few years. Thank goodness my shots are short range so I've gotten lucky up to this point that I've done a satisfactory job. Typically I'll find a chair or bench or something to sit on, then make some kind of make shift table to rest my gun on. Or, I'll lay down on the ground and shoot from that position. Up to this point I haven't used sand bags or any kind of "gun vise" type device to help me sight in more accurately. I'm consideringpurchasing an inexpensive gun vise/sight in type stand toprovide a better base for my ML when sighting in. Or, maybe a couple of sand bags. What would you all suggest. I sawa cleaning stand/sighting in standat Wal-mart for about 20 bucks. Would it be 20 bucks well spent? I just don'tthink I'm getting the accuracyI couldbe getting. Any advice is appreciated
Old 10-24-2007, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: bench, sand bags etc. How do u sight in?

I have been using the allen front and back rest that I got at wally world for $23, they are really not all bad, unless you goto a range that have elevated yardage like the one I goto, better then what I used last year, a vise wish a couple of towels to keep the gun from scraching the gun
Old 10-24-2007, 09:17 PM
Dominant Buck

That was a very inexpensive rest that I use and find it works just fine. Is this what you are talking about?
Old 10-24-2007, 09:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

gt2003

This is what I use - we do not have any public ranges around here...

Old 10-24-2007, 09:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

i shoot from a fixed shooting benchand a sand bag rest.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:43 PM
Fork Horn

cayugad, that's what I'm talking about. I think it would be 100% more accurate than what I'm using now. But, I will run by walmart tomorrow and check out the allen bags. Thanks, Greg
Old 10-24-2007, 09:48 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

That was a very inexpensive rest that I use and find it works just fine. Is this what you are talking about?
Dang Cayugad!!! Stop showin off, if my wife sees how organized you are she's gonna get on my case again!!!
Old 10-24-2007, 10:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buddy of mine has a 100 yard range and permanent bench set up at his house - about 3/4 mile from my house. His bench is okay but it was designed for his height so I have to build things up a bit. We just use homemade sandbags for rests. Very convenient setup for himself and his friends. There has only been one time that I've gone out there when anyone aside from us did any shooting. Sometimes we have to wait for his cattle to get out of the way though.

Another friend and I constructed a portable bench which was made using a basketball backboard I picked up at a yard sale for $2. It a white synthetic material and makes a good table. He keeps it at his house since he only did 90% of the actual work. We've used it a grand total of twice I think. He got a little carried away with the angled steel and it isn't as portable as either of us had envisioned - really not that bad either.

Whatever sort of table you shoot from... pad your elbows. OUCH!!
Old 10-24-2007, 10:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Garminator -- I do all of this just to cause trouble.. The trouble is, if I don't I can not find anything. I just bought another shotgun cleaning rod for the new shotgun (the barrel of the rifle is pointing at it). Came home and was putting it away and found the old one (see the little orange handle next to the freezer lid in the back corner ).. That's the kind of person I am.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

gt2003

This is what I use - we do not have any public ranges around here...

Sabotloader, LMAO

That's same way my pickup looks when I'm at the pit. lol

Quick Reply: bench, sand bags etc. How do u sight in?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.