Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 ? on breech plug grease >

? on breech plug grease

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

? on breech plug grease

Old 10-24-2007, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ? on breech plug grease

I invented Teflon tape long before I invented the crud ring.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use Wonderlube Plus, Bore Butter, or white petroleum jelly. Whatever is handy. I have yet to have a BP seize. Even after lightly snugging them. The main thing is touse something. Even crisco would work!

chris
Old 10-24-2007, 01:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

UC

In all your wisdom and glory - you did invent T Tape and I should give you credit more often as the father of the idea, and the parent of the thought to snug the breech plug rather leaving it loose. I should also give credit to Toby Bridges for sharing his thought about over wrapping the nose of the breech plug. With all of this wonderul information I was able to develope the method that I use and it works for me.

Therefore when this all goes down in History you and father time will be on the same page... actually don't you and father share birthyears????

Old 10-24-2007, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Funny. I use the tape (pink) and am quite happy with it. My son, however, wants to know who the heck thought to use pink for the tape! I told him it certainly wasn't a hunter.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

UC

My son, however, wants to know who the heck thought to use pink for the tape! I told him it certainly wasn't a hunter.
OK, UC as the inventor - what do you say to this question??? I prolly shood go got cdad ta hellp ya wit dis 1...

Sometimes ya jis git ur finners in the pie to often?

mike
Old 10-24-2007, 05:35 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Wabi I had the exact thing happen to me the other day...started coming out really easy then very, very hard the rest of the way. Definately will try the tape though!
Old 10-25-2007, 01:46 PM

I was gonna try a dab of Bore Butter. Bad idea?

BTW, I shot my Optima Pro prolly 10 times yesterday. Plug came out pretty easy last night. Oh, I forgot to clean it from last fall as well! [] (B4 my range time yesterday) Not gonna "chance" that again. [:-]
Old 10-25-2007, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Actually... git yer feet up ... I'm reasonably certain I've never had an original thought in my lifebut years ago I was having a bit of trouble with the nipple on my Hawken, saw some white teflon tape in my box when I went to look for some grease (couldn't find the grease), and thought... ah'll jest use dat on dis here nipple's thredz. Turns out if worked great.

Many years later, it occured to me to try the Teflon tape on a breechplug just for grins... and it WERKT! Mentioned this on the White Rifles chat forum and Bob Bowers suggested using the pink stuff. I honestly didn't even know the tape came in anything but the color white, let alone any ratings or thicknesses for the various colors. As to why someone ever elected to make that tape pink, I've no idea - probably meant it to be red and didn't have enough dye or pigment - but you can blame Bob Bowers (Super91) for improving the idea and the use of pink tape. Not long afterwards, one of the White Rifles forum members sent the tip in to Toby and he published it. Funny thing was that it didn't take TC long to come out with their hi-dollar version after some of us had been describing its use on the net for awhile.

Did ah handul dat 1, Mike?

BillyMack, I've read of people using nothing but Bore Butter on the threads of their plugs with good success. I've not tried it myself as I'm trying to see if my tube will petrify. I've a friend that shoots T7 and uses nothing on his plug threads but a smear of MOTOR OIL. He claims it works well. Ah aint doin' dat eeder.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:29 PM

10-4!

If it's good enough for the "bore", surely it's good enough for the breech too right?! Getting ready to go rub a dub dub right now. Punching out as we speak.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:31 PM
Typical Buck

Let me make sure I got this straight, just teflon tape with no grease?

Quick Reply: ? on breech plug grease

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.