Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 ? on breech plug grease >

? on breech plug grease

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

? on breech plug grease

Old 10-25-2007, 02:32 PM

Default RE: ? on breech plug grease

UC, I think you just invented crud,,,period. Sometimes it has a ring, sometimes it doesn't!

Super91 and PINK tape,,,,,well, that just makes sense now doesn't it?!?!?
Old 10-25-2007, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hoss, back up the thread there you can read Sabotloaders method. I generally put just a touch of good grease over the tape after it's on the threads. A single layer of pink tape will generally do the job.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cdad, ah'm gonna respond ta ever post sepratlee so ah'll be impotent.

Shuddup.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:25 AM

I use the anti sieze grease that you buy in the automotive section for spark plugs. Works great.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

i've been using choke tube lube which is graphite based. it has worked great and i have never had a seized breech plug.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Use teflon tape then crisco, and margerine. Then you can wipe off all the excess and have something to fry your eggs & taters with! WOW.......

oh yea, just kidding! All this talk about grease is getting me hungry....

chris
Old 10-27-2007, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use the copper based high-temp automotive anti-sieze grease. I started using it when I still had my Knight DISC rifle, which had a terrible breechplug siezing problem (so bad that I thought once that I'd have to have the breech plug drilled out). This stuff was the only thing that helped, and I've just used it ever since. On my Savage, I apply it very sparingly to both the breech plug and vent liner threads, then snug them down good and tight. I take my breech plug out about every 50-100 shots or or once a year whichever comes first, and it always comes out with no more effort than was required to put tighten it down.

Mike
Old 10-27-2007, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

When hunting... No greaseWhen shooting I use grease... I would say that you could use anything you want... I got some anti sieze from work and use it... I only shoot 3 or 4 shots before taking apart and cleaning
Old 10-28-2007, 05:36 PM
Typical Buck

I tried the pink tape in my Omega about half way in, the plug became very hard to turn.
Took it off and tried the white tape and theplug screwed right in.

I have not shot thegun since trying the tape but plan on shooting withing the next week or 2.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

SIDEWAYS

A couple things I would like to suggest or as...

My Omega does use the pink tape and from your description I think yours might also, but it sounds to me like your barrels threads might need to be cleaned. About the only time I use a bronze/brass in one my guns is to clean the BP threads in the barrel. I put the brush in a short piece of cleaning rod and chuck it in a drill and then from the breech end of the barrel clean the threads with that and a touch of solvent.... I did notice the other day on the ML accessories board @ Sportsmans that there was now a BP thread cleaning gadget in a TC package hanging on the wall. Looked like a plastic device(like a thread chaser) that you screwed in the BP threads to clean them...

Here is a pic...

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&a mp;langId=-1&partNumber=82230&hvarTarget=search&c mCat=SearchResults

The second thing for the tape to work correctly it needs to wrapped over the nose of the BP and patted down.

Sure hope it works for you as well as it does for me....

Quick Reply: ? on breech plug grease

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.