Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 crud ring how to cure? >

crud ring how to cure?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

crud ring how to cure?

Old 10-22-2007, 12:40 PM

Default RE: crud ring how to cure?

I will try not using the bore butter and see if that help mlkeith i am in north carolina and weather is dry and hot.nchawkeye i am shooting 100grs now but have been thinking about 90. The thing that still gets me is that i have change nothing when problem started last year. All changes powder, bullets, primers, all new for this year and still have the same problem.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

btw...Welcome!!!

I'm in NC as well, Asheboro, in the center of the state...

Check the bottom of the bore, you might have some corrosion in that area from last year, causing more buildup than normal...You could also try lapping to clean it up, but if you stop using bb it might clean up on its own...
Old 10-22-2007, 01:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Over the past year i have fired up 1.5 pounds of 777. Have tried Remington 777 primers, Winchester 777 primers and Winchester shotgun primers. The bore of the gun is always wiped spiffy clean. Never used Bore Butter or anything else. The crud ring remains constant no matter what i do.

BTW: i am well on my way to solving my Triple Seven crud ring problems. I just gave away one pound of the stuff. Have a half pound or so left: When that is gone my crud ring problem will be forever solved.

From now on it is Pyrodex RS and JSG for me.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:34 PM
Typical Buck

my triumph was getting a bad crud ring no matter what i shot, i tryed pyrodex,777 and shockey's gold. in primers i used winchester,777,cci. i didn't make any differents after 2-3 shots i'd have to pound the bullet down the last 1 1/2.

now my gun is doing great with no crud ring. i treated my barrel with ULTRA BORE COAT. you will not beleive how much easyier my barrel is to clean now. i can shoot 10 times and run one patch with alittle solvent 3-4 times thru it and the second patch will come out snow white. it loads easyier too.i cost 50.00 to treat 2 barrels.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

When my Omega was new the bore was not polished and I had crudring like you would not believe,I polished the bore and reduced the problem by about 75% then I tried a breach plug with a different design almost by accident[I knew the old one was getting a little burned out in the touch hole] the flatter plug help some too. Now I have a Triumph and it gets dirty where the powder sits but I would not call it a crud ring because it not real hard like the crud ring. My system One in which I use a musket cap never has a problem. Lee
Old 10-22-2007, 05:18 PM
Fork Horn

Wildpair,

Do not use any type of lube when shooting black powder substitutes. None; or make sure you swab it out every shot. Use windex,alcohol, or spit and dry the bore with clean patches. The lube is what solidifies the fouling within a min. or so after the shot. No lube,none,nada. Oily bores do the same thing, clean it out with alcohol before you load. If you shoot conicals with lube scrub it after every shot. This won't eliminate it but it will reduce it. Triple7 powder will do it no matter what; but add any lube to the bore and it is much worse.

I am a flintlock shooter and can't use the black subs but if I did do any inline shooting it would be with Swiss brand real black powder. It will have very nearly the velocity of Triple7 and faster ignition and no crud ring; but you still have to swab between sabot loadings.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:20 PM
Fork Horn

Are there risks with doing the Ultra Bore Coat? ie can you screw the barrel up?

I am thinking about switching to the Variflame adapter and see if that helps!
Old 10-22-2007, 05:35 PM
Fork Horn

The Variflames will help but probably not completley get rid of it. It will still take a wet patch and a dry one (or two) behind it. It is alot easier to got off with them or the 25acp breach plug. As others have said, don't use the bore butter or any other lube between shots ( you don't need it ). Just use lube when you thourily clean at home ( clean it out when you get ready to shoot again ).
Old 10-22-2007, 05:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default Ditch the Bore butter and oil

I agree 100% with Mossie. Ditch the whale blubber bacon grease bore butter crab and protect the bore from rusting with Birchwood-Casey Sheath (now called Barricade), which drys clean and doesn't leave an oily residue.

The whole concept of bore butter to "season the barrel" is a joke. Frankly I don't understand how Greg Ritz keeps a straight face when saying it. I intend to shoot sabot bullets out of my "high tech" Omega inline Greg, not fry chicken in it.

I shoot loose 777 with Remington and 777 Primers and have never experienced a crud ring in my Z-5. I swab between every shot with a patch moistened with the 50/50 solution of windshield washer fluid and isopropyl alcohol. Dry patch and reload. That's it. I've shot over 20 times in a range session with no loading problems.

Make sure you are using the correct sabot - I had to switch to the thinner MPH-24 sabot because my Omega barrel is very tight. Even with a clean barrel I would have to stand on the ramrod to get the bullets down using standard MPH-12 sabots.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:58 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Ditch the Bore butter and oil

I read the first post and then just skipped to the reply. With Triple Se7en I use a damp patch and dry between shots. The past couple of years I have been using Hoppes Elite BP for the damp patch and it works real well. It is also cheap if you consider I have used it for hundreds of shots and many cleanings and the little bottle is still half filled. With my damp patch I run it down the bore in strokes that get quicker when I get near the dreaded ring and make sure I don't just go all the way down and "Stick" my ram rod. (I use very short but fast strokes)

I really do not have to work hard to keep it away if I just start from the begining cleaning every shot. The "wet" patches are almost dry just enough cleaner to make the next shot go down easy. My last few shots I do without cleaning with good results.

I use the same methode with real BP because I found that too with magnum inlines will leave a ring you can feel after each shot.

Shooting roundball with lubed patches I have never had a ring problem no matter what I used for powder.

Your results may differ but I know what my rifles like.

Quick Reply: crud ring how to cure?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.