Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

ENCORE WOES

Old 10-21-2007, 04:42 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: ENCORE WOES

Romex, I had some flex in my Encore when I first bought it as well. Even though it is the barrel and forarm moving the problem was actually the attatchment of the butt stock causing the problem. If you remove the recoil pad you will find a hole leading up to the screw that holds on the stock. Check to make sure that screw is tight.

Made a big difference in my rifle.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pittsburghunter, isn't your Encore buttstock retained by the screw accessible from behind the TC pistol grip cap? True enough that it could be loose, but I know of no stock retaining screw behind the recoil pad.

Old 10-21-2007, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

When you shoot an Encore off the bench-the rifle position is very important. Since the Encore forearm puts pressure on the barrel, you need to find a way to make that pressure consistent, or you need to float the forearm. I suggest when you shoot your Encore you should have your front bag positioned all the way at the back of the forearm. That is where your flex will be the least. I even know some shooter's who rest the front of the action on the front sand bag. That way is a bit awkward, but it is extremely consistent, and consistency is what we are after.

IMO shooter's put way too much emphasis on group's out of an MZ. IMO a MZ is a one shot scenario. I am only interested in what my first shot out of a completely clean barrel will do(some people hunt with a dirty barrel). My main concern is POI with the clean barrel. So I completely clean my rifle between shots-when I am concerned with sight adjustment. I am like all other shooter's and I like shooting good groups. But a bad group does not disappoint me when my clean shot hit's POI every time. Very few people get a second shot. Tom.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:03 PM

WOW didnt expect so much feed back, thank you!!!!!!!!
let me clarify the flex thing its not that bad ,, if you grab the barrel and the end of theforend and squeze
thats when it flex.
the MZ is new and was cleaned very well before shooting first round
i am new to MZ shooting but iLOVE IT already
i do think my problem is more inexperience than anything
i thought it would shoot like my remington 30/06,, dime size groups at 100 yards (165grain winchester soft points)
i do have alot to learn about this sport and the reality of MZing
but after watching the DVD by T/C that came with the ENCORE and doing what they said i should i thought it would do better than it is
there groups are dang sure better than mine (4'' to 6'' at 100)
Old 10-21-2007, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

romex, get the Bellm download and watch it, even if you never intend to do any action work. Every owner of an Encore should have that download - located here : http://www.bellmtcs.com/Prod_and_Serv/free_cd.htm

Also, be sure to include disassembly and cleaning of the firing pin assembly in your cleaning regimen. I would advise you do that cleaning no less often than every other time you clean the rifle and certainly after any extended shooting sessions. Just don't lose the little spring (easy NOT to lose if you are just a little careful) and remember the spring goes back in cone end to cone end (you'll see what I mean).

Head has mentioned a very valid point that applies not only to the Encore but basically any two-piece stocked rifle. You can't really "float" the forearm though.

Your expectations were more than a little high. Maybe after shooting and tweaking that rifle and loads for a year or two...
Old 10-21-2007, 07:54 PM

Underclocked thats a little more than i want to get into right now
but i do see where it would be usefull,,THANK YOU!!!!!!
Old 10-22-2007, 07:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

"IMO shooter's put way too much emphasis on group's out of an MZ. IMO a MZ is a one shot scenario. I am only interested in what my first shot out of a completely clean barrel will do(some people hunt with a dirty barrel). My main concern is POI with the clean barrel."

Bingo. Although sometimesi shoot for groups, the only thing that really counts is where the first bullets goes from my clean gun barrel.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Take and start swabbing the bore with Windex. Lightly damped the patch. If you can ring swab solution out of the patch your making them too wet. Then work that bore in short strokes. I never used that T/C pre soaked patches, but had some Knight patches once. There was far too much solution in them patches for swabbing. Even with a couple dry patches you might not be getting the bore bone dry. Try the Windex and see if that does not help. Or go to the Dollar Store and get a bottle of their fake Windex window cleaner. Try that.
I went and bought some of the generic windex with vinegar. Man that stuff works wonders. I couldn't believe how it cut the fouling in my Omega. I'll never use anything else! Cheap too. The gun is new. When I cleaned the bore it shined like stainless. Works great.

chris
Old 10-22-2007, 09:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

"went and bought some of the generic windex with vinegar. Man that stuff works wonders. I couldn't believe how it cut the fouling in my Omega. I'll never use anything else! Cheap too. The gun is new. When I cleaned the bore it shined like stainless. Works great."

Started using it in 2000. It is really great stuff and is cheap. When you think about it that powder is a base and the acid in the Windex just eats it up. Sometimes you can see it bubble and fizz.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:07 PM
Typical Buck

"Pittsburghunter, isn't your Encore buttstock retained by the screw accessible from behind the TC pistol grip cap? True enough that it could be loose, but I know of no stock retaining screw behind the recoil pad. "

You could be right I have owned the gun for so long and that was the only thing I ever had to do, the screw could have been there. Thanks for pointing it out if I was wrong with the screw placement

I didn't mention the other fine points you folks made because I would guess most of them were correct. Especially the too wet wipes between shots.

Good luck Romex and thank for pointing out my error.