Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Shock Wave Sabot Difference >

Shock Wave Sabot Difference

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shock Wave Sabot Difference

Old 10-19-2007, 02:19 PM
Spike

Default Shock Wave Sabot Difference

I'll try to keep this as short as possible.Shoot an Omega.Have for two years.First shot or tried to shoot SWaves.Way too tight for loading .Just no fun at all.And actually shot poorly.Have since gone to 250Gold Dotsand or Noslers.Loaded nicely and shotVERY WELL.After two years and guessing about450 to 500 rounds and a couple of JB sessions decided to (don't know why)try some 250 gr.SWaves again.Was surprised to see they loaded a bit tight but nowhere near 2 yrs.ago.Now here's where I get befuddled.They shot unbelieveable.I won't say how tight ,cause most would not believe.The problem "is" you say,well, I had two containers both have the same bullet but the sabots are 7/8" long and 1' long,both have stepped cups.I shot the groups w/the 7/8' sabots.My questions are..why easier to load now,and have they changed the sabot to 1" from 7/8?If so? is there an MMP sabot that would work with the bullets.Quite frankly they shot so well I'd do and spend the little extra to get the exact same sabot.I have tested enough to know how critical the right sabot is.Thanks for any of your thoughts. hunt4me
Old 10-19-2007, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shock Wave Sabot Difference

You can probably go to http://mmpsabots.domainhost.com/store/and then click both the links for sabots and HPH sabots and identify the ones you were using.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Perhaps they changed their sabots. When I first got my Black Diamond XR I tried to load SST's and broke my short starter. Then I went to a Shockwave, and they not only loaded fine, but shot excellent. Different sabots is all I can guess as the bullet is the same.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Try theHornady 250 grainSST bullets in the newHornady"Low Drag"sabot. This sabot is not ribbed or undersized.The plastic is very slick. $11.99 for 25 bullets and sabots at Cabela's. Re-sighted my Encore for 120 grains of JSG and that bullet and sabot last week. The new "Low Drag" sabots load easily and shoot just as well in my tight bore Encore as the old hard to load ones.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

HUNT4ME
There was a big batch of TC Shockwaves produced with a black sabot that really was anot the correct verion for a TCnot a 24 - TC knows that - you can call them and they will replace them. The newer SW with the black sabots are HPH-24's. MMP does make a short black sabot but it is not an HPH sabot - but it is recommended for the Savage.

My Omega, with age has loosened up a bit also. It use to be kinda tight even with a HPH-24 but in the last several years with all the shoots that have been shot through it is a little looser - still can not load a HPH-12 down without really leaning on the ram rod.. but I can load the .458 Nosler and the Orange Sabot which was really tight before.

don't know if I have given you any answers or not..

Old 10-19-2007, 03:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

As usual Sabotloader has it right, it is normal for a "cut" barrel to feel a bit looser after it "wears" in[shooting polishes it] If you want to shoot a bullet that seems to tight with anMMP-HPH24 then try a Havester Crush Rib its like the next thinner. Lee
Old 10-19-2007, 05:17 PM
Typical Buck

Yes, there were many Shockwaves shipped with the wrong sabots a couple years ago. Most are long gone but some still show up now and again left over in gunshops that don't sell a lot of m/l supplies. T/C was not recalling them but were giving out free sabots and sometimes a new package of bullets to people that got stuck with them. You are very correct in stating the new ones you bought work great, it is a nice round.

When it happened to me I was sighting in for deer season and had to break down my rifle twice to remove the rounds they went down so hard I was afraid to shoot my rifle. I ended up shooting a different rifle that year.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HUNT4ME

I'll try to keep this as short as possible.Shoot an Omega.Have for two years.First shot or tried to shoot SWaves.Way too tight for loading .Just no fun at all.And actually shot poorly.Have since gone to 250Gold Dotsand or Noslers.Loaded nicely and shotVERY WELL.After two years and guessing about450 to 500 rounds and a couple of JB sessions decided to (don't know why)try some 250 gr.SWaves again.Was surprised to see they loaded a bit tight but nowhere near 2 yrs.ago.Now here's where I get befuddled.They shot unbelieveable.I won't say how tight ,cause most would not believe.The problem "is" you say,well, I had two containers both have the same bullet but the sabots are 7/8" long and 1' long,both have stepped cups.I shot the groups w/the 7/8' sabots.My questions are..why easier to load now,and have they changed the sabot to 1" from 7/8?If so? is there an MMP sabot that would work with the bullets.Quite frankly they shot so well I'd do and spend the little extra to get the exact same sabot.I have tested enough to know how critical the right sabot is.Thanks for any of your thoughts. hunt4me
SW 250g penetration into wet newspaper:
http://dougva.proboards34.com/index.cgi?board=Savage&action=display&thre ad=1188171663

SW 300g penetration into wet newspaper:
http://dougva.proboards34.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=Savage&thre ad=1123448850&page=1

The 300g do much better. Chap Gleason
Old 10-19-2007, 09:02 PM
Spike

HUNT4ME- I have the same gun and have had a identical experience. Two years ago with the new gun...too tight to load shockwaves easily. I also couldn't get barnes 245 spitfires to load which really bummed me out. After some JB sessions and starting to try a variety of different sabots (rounds and rounds and rounds) I have tried the original "tight" loads and my omega can now handle shockwaves again and pounds nails with the spitfires. At one point I thought it was due to switching to kleenbore primers (which may have helped a little) but having come full circle I believe it has more to do with JB's and high usage breaking in the barrel. I feel this way because when I bought the gun I loaded up on barnes spitfires and was disgusted when they wouldn't fit. Now these same exact projectilesI bought 2 years ago load and group like they should.

The 3 petal MMP's with a 300 gr Gold Dot or harvestor sabots (crushed rib and regular) have worked well for me during my experimental phases. At one point I thought I'd have to shoot crushed rib sabots forever but this is no longer the case. Tom
Old 10-20-2007, 04:33 PM
Spike

Thanks fellows.Makes me feel a bit better knowing that I've not misplaced my mind.Couldn't figure out what in the world had happened.Help like this is exactly why I love this forum.One more question if I might,especially for "gopherfan".Which shock wave are you getting your best groups from.And is anyone shooting the yellow sabot Easy Glide.Thanks again....hunt4me

Quick Reply: Shock Wave Sabot Difference

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.