Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Dang !!!!!

Old 10-18-2007, 11:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default Dang !!!!!

Well I got this card in the mail today , saying i have been picked for Jury duty and i am supose to call in on thurs nov 1st in the evening to see if they need me friday . The following monday my son and i are( ? ) leaving for a muzzleloader Elk hunt. If they pick me , i will be very Pi .. ed !!! The hunt starts on the 31 of october and ends on Nov 8th .
Old 10-18-2007, 11:26 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Dang !!!!!

Call the clerk of courts for your jurisdiction. Advise them that you have family vacation plans that were made months ago. If you want you can explain in more detail to them. See if they could postpone your jury duty to a following month. Tell them that you have a non refundable deposit on the vacation already and that it includes license that can not be obtained again. Most of the time courts are more then willing to work with you in special circumstances. They might tell you that you will be on the next section of jury duty but at least you will have your elk hunt.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with Cauygad. I've never had a problem getting rescheduledwhen I tell them I'm prefectly willing to be serve if they can push me back 30 days.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:56 AM
Fork Horn

I just did the same thing. I have a hunt scheduled in VA on OCT 12-15 (Supposed to be the rut). The hunt is put on by Buckmaster's American Deer Foundation for the Disabled and I doubt that they would postpone the hunt for little ole me, so I went to the Clerk of Courts Office and explained my situation and they were happy to take me off the roster until January. Like Semisane said, as long as you make it clear that you know that it is your duty and you are willing to serve but have scheduling issues, It would surprise me if they didn't accommodate you.

Don't do like one of my employees, He was called to serve on a murder trial the first part of hunting season last year and during questioning he said " so we finally gonna fry that dude for killin that girl at the quick mart?. Didn't phase the judge one bit, he knew exactly what he was up to but couldn't let him serve on that trial because of his comment but gave him 2 terms on "petty jury" and that lasted almost 3 weeks. The murder trial went 3 or 4 days.[:@]
Old 10-19-2007, 10:49 AM

Tell the lawyers you are racist again all races, drunks, exe. that will get you off easily.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:02 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

Tell the lawyers you are racist again all races, drunks, exe. that will get you off easily.
And that you have friends and family who are cops and lawyers, which makes you biased.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

in fact, you have so many friends that are cops and lawyers that only the massive doses of Prozac keep you from offing yourself.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:44 PM
Dominant Buck

The problem with telling the judge or defense council anything is you still have to show up and wait around for jury selection. Which means you can not be hunting...
Old 10-19-2007, 10:38 PM
Spike

Well I gotta add my two cents on this one. A little background first, my Grandfather on my moms side was the sheriff of his county for decades (but the family on that side were shiners), (on my dads side I come from a long line of outlaws in the family tree). My dad was a city policemen, Nebraska Highway patrolman, and later with the FBI were he met my mom who worked as a secretary with the Washington bureau. My wife has been a law enforcement officer for 35 years (could have retired a long time ago, but loves the job and making a difference in our area, and has more comendations and medals than I can count, also high ranking). I also served as a reserve deputy for our county for 3 years, and I am a Marine Corp veteren were I served for 8 years.

Now that Ihave the back ground out of the way:Back when Iused to receive those juryduty notices in the mail, I would just throw them in the trash. Here they dont send them certified, sothey cant prove I received it. Theyfinally gave up,I havent received one in overfifteen years.

With my background this isa good thing for the due process and inoccent until proven guilty BS. In my experiance if they had probable cause to makean arrest, the SOB is guilty. Should of just shot him instead of wasting our tax dollars onhousing& feeding in thejail, and thesmall fortune thejury trial costs us.

I have my priorities, a piece of paper in the mail has never and will never interfere with my huntin!

Well I guess thatsmore thantwo cents. I'll get off my soap box.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:59 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Call the clerk of courts for your jurisdiction. Advise them that you have family vacation plans that were made months ago. If you want you can explain in more detail to them. See if they could postpone your jury duty to a following month. Tell them that you have a non refundable deposit on the vacation already and that it includes license that can not be obtained again. Most of the time courts are more then willing to work with you in special circumstances. They might tell you that you will be on the next section of jury duty but at least you will have your elk hunt.
Thats what i did !!!

I went with your advice and the trueth !

They took me off the Jury pool .

Hunts on !!!!!

Quick Reply: Dang !!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.