HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   black powder pistol ? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/212434-black-powder-pistol.html)

corey012778 10-16-2007 07:58 PM

black powder pistol ?

A friend of mine bought a 1851 confederate navy from cabela's. the hammer will cock but will go back to half cock. He called cabela's they said they had problems with that model and sent him the 1860 army and he did not have to send the other one back.

Does anyone know what the problem is with the 1851 confederate and how to fix it?

If we can't fix it he is going just use the parts from it.

frontier gander 10-16-2007 08:15 PM

RE: black powder pistol ?

I had 4 replacements sent to me from cabelas. The best way to fix them is to junk them. They are 100% guaranteed POS's!

Find a nice piece of wood, make some hangers and hang that thing on a wall. Its no good unless you want to try to throw that pistol at the target.

After shooting my first one, The barrel used to fly off. second, 3ed 4th wouldnt either cock all the way, wouldnt even come back. They are pure junk.

corey012778 10-16-2007 08:19 PM

basicly spair parts. or just give someone a good pistol whipping

cayugad 10-16-2007 08:43 PM

Well I would send the pistol back and get a different model...

corey012778 10-16-2007 08:52 PM

cabelas aready replace it. and he did not have to send it back. that is strange in my mind, but hey, cabelas wants make people happy

CSA 10-21-2007 07:56 AM

Make sure you are cocking the hammer ALL THE WAY back! As for the flying barrel, make sure the barrel wedge is seated properly.

CSA 10-21-2007 08:02 AM

I recently purchased an 1851 Colt Confederate Navy .44 from Bass Pro Shops that was a package deal. BEAUTIFUL pistol! The only problem I have is the load data. The manufacturer says a max load of 15 grains, while Traditions says a max of 30 grains. Who's right? Also, what is the best natural lube to use? I am just getting started in blackpowder.

lemoyne 10-21-2007 09:09 AM

I fixed a few of them for some guys in the club.
There is two ways you can go at it, you can also make the gun dangerous if you don't know any gunsmithing.
The problem is that the half cock sticks up so far that when the guns hammer releases from full cock to fire the half cock catches it, the way I fixed them was to machine the half cock deep enough into the part so the sear would miss it when the gun was fire. If you go to the trouble of doing this and the parts are soft steel,which most of these revolver replicas are and you want it to last a while case harden the hammer ,trigger and cylinder lock.
If you really want to shoot black powder pistol the best answer is a used black powder Rugar in good shape I pick one up once in a while and no other that I have seen will hold up or shoot like they do, I have hunted deer and boar with one with 35gr of powder and a conical ball [home made]. Lee

corey012778 10-21-2007 03:33 PM

I don't know how to machine anything, I just know basic workings. I am just going to tell him to use the cylinder on his other one.

Raider2000 10-23-2007 07:44 AM

Those Brass framed Cap & Ball revolvers should not be subjected to a full load that is why they suggest a 15 - 20gr. powder charge, the heavier loads will stretch the frame enough to make it useless in a short time "depending on how much you shoot it."
All my replicas are Steel framed Pietta, Navy Arms, & Smith Mountain & will handle a full charge, like mysteel framed Pietta 1860 Armywill handle a loading of 35gr. easily & has had up to 40gr. with no issues in 25 years.
Just use a lighter charge, shoot safely, & have fun.

It does sound like the half cock notch is too long like Lemoyne said but unless you know how do do any gun smithing I'n leave that to some one that does know how.

Interesting that Cabelas would not want the other revolver back.