Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 The Dreaded Crud Ring >

The Dreaded Crud Ring

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The Dreaded Crud Ring

Old 10-12-2007, 10:28 AM
Spike

Default The Dreaded Crud Ring

Took my new CVA OE to the range to try and work up a load for the upcoming blackpowder season and had crud ring issues. I was shooting triple 7 2F powder and the weapon would develop a crud ring after every shot so as to prevent another bullet from being properly seated. I was having to remove the breech plug between every shot and clean the barrel before I could reload. Also noticed that the breach would be covered with a grey grease like coating. I tried both pellets and loose powder with the same results. Was using Win 777 and kleanbore primers with little change. While cleaning some unfired powder would also fall out of the barrel. Has anybody else experinced anything like this. Would appreciate any help anyone could offer, I really need to get this problem resollved. Thanks.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The Dreaded Crud Ring

Sounds like you are getting gases back through the threads. I would try another breechplug but in the meantime (and maybe afterwards, try Sabotloader's method of taping the plug with teflon tape. A single damp (with water or Windex w/vinegar) patch, both sides followed by one or two dry patches should be enough to clear the worst of it.

You aren't leaving plug grease on the forward end of the plug, are you? Too much grease in the threads can push forward into the ignition area as the plug is tightenedand cause grief. There is no way you should need to fully clean after each shot.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:08 AM

Grey grease like coating is what i got when using kleanbore primers. They are dirty SOB's are no good. Try cci or winchester triple 7 primers.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:13 AM
Dominant Buck

Underclocked is right on..

I have been giving the breech plugs of mine two wraps of white Teflon tape, then with a model builder's paint brush I paint a nice thin coat of anti seize onto the threads. I screw that in just finger tight. I still get a little blow back, but I live with it.

Swab the barrel between shots. Put a loading jag on the end of your range rod. Work a lightly damp patch in short strokes down the bore to the breech of the rifle. Then pull that and reverse the patch and do it all over again. Then a couple of dry patches and you should be set to fire. Do not worry about that gray stuff down by the breech plug,it will blow out with the next shot.

A good swabbing solution is Windex or car windshield washer fluid and alcohol mixed 50/50. There is no need to pull that plug until your done for the day.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

"There is no way you should need to fully clean after each shot."

Exactly, all he has to do is to swab the bore. Windex with vinegar works very well.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:08 PM

Switch to real Goex blackpowder
Old 10-13-2007, 09:19 AM
Typical Buck

you need some ultra bore coat.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: roundball

Switch to real Goex blackpowder
Or better yet, make that CVA into a door prop, get yourself a Savage and shoot TRUE smokeless powder. After all, smokeless is the original and best BP substitute. All the benefits everyone is trying to achieve with the not-quite-smokeless subs, without the obvious drawbacks (crud rings, siezed breachplugs, corrosion etc...)

With all the problems associated with T7 and the like, I'm amazed people don't just go back to real black powder.

Mike
Old 10-13-2007, 01:02 PM

why would he do that when he has a rifle that can shoot a sabot or conical with great accuracy, buy a centerfire barrel. Does a savage come in 45-70 caliber?
Now shadd up about this optima elite or else you will tempt me
Old 10-13-2007, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

What good is the CF barrel if he wants to hunt with ML? Or maybe even has too. Some states don't allow CF rifles at all. Better to get a great ML and a good CF rifle, than one mediocre switchbarrel. CVA's are cheap for a reason, and I for one wouldn't trust a CVA barrel with BP, let alone a high pressure CF rifle cartridge.

It's his money...

Mike

Quick Reply: The Dreaded Crud Ring

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.