Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 New Black Powder Shotgun >

New Black Powder Shotgun

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Black Powder Shotgun

Old 09-24-2007, 03:45 PM
Dominant Buck

Default New Black Powder Shotgun

I got my new shotgun today. It is a Thompson Center New Englander twelve gauge with a extra full choke installed. I bought it from Fox Ridge Outfitters Inc. To say I was not excited about getting it, would be a lie. I even got a second box in the mailfrom Track of the Wolf with the wads, over the powder wads, and shot cards. So I was ready to go.

I took the rifle out of the box, inspected the hammer and trigger. Checked the stock for cracks. And then attempted to install the barrel. Well I was shocked!! The barrel would not go into the tang and lock into place. I scratched my head a little and though.. what am I doing wrong?

It was then I noticed the problem. Look close at the end of the barrel. Its left handed.... they don't fit real well in a right handed gun. So I called Fox Ridge Outfitters Inc. and explained that the custom made barrel they done for me was a liitle off. When he asked why, I started laughing and said, its a left handed barrel. I have a right handed gun. He then asked me to read the invoice to him which I did. He then agreed, you ordered a right handed barrel. Why they sent you a left handed he had no idea.

He then asked me to send it back to them. I explained that tha choke in it was a custom choke and to make sure the new barrel got that full choke instead of an improved cylinder choke. So he explained about the copies I needed to send him with the invoice, and a letter explaining the problem. So it is back to the UPS center tomorrow. They did say they will try and have a two day turn around when they get it... so that's a plus.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: New Black Powder Shotgun

Man, what a bummer! At leastFox Ridge seems to be doing the right thing. Are they going to take care of the return postage? Let us know how it turns out.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:26 PM
Dominant Buck

I forgot to ask them that... I will look into that aspect after I know what it costed me to ship it to them. Or perhaps they could throw in an improved cylinder choke for grouse hunting.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:54 PM

man that sucks. Thats like opening a christmas gift and finding a bag of socks in there
Old 09-24-2007, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Got as far as the pic and said to myself, "that's a left hand barrel"
The first barrel I got from Fox Ridge was rough (as in wavy finishthat looked like a washboard!) when I looked down it. I called T/C and asked them about it. They had me return it so they could inspect it, and returned a brand new barrel with a very good finish and a new full choke tube installed! Been shooting that barrel for years now, and never any problems. It is hard for me to get perfect ignition with anything but real BP, but if I want to shoot substitute powders I simply switch to a MagSpark 209 nipple conversion.