Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Adjusting Encore trigger pull? >

Adjusting Encore trigger pull?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Adjusting Encore trigger pull?

Old 09-24-2007, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Adjusting Encore trigger pull?

Greetings guys,

I have a friend that has an encore (haven't looked closely at one myself). He said he would like to adjust the triggerto get a lighter pull. Is it possible for a novice or should he engage the service of a gunsmith? If it requires professional adjustment, would Thompson do it themselves if he shipped it to them (cheaper?)
Thanks
hb
Old 09-24-2007, 12:11 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Adjusting Encore trigger pull?

I am sure Thompson Center would adjust the trigger. They will only set it to I believe it is 3-1/2 pounds at the lightest. Anything less then that is often considered a hair trigger and then we get into product liability issues. Although, 3-1/2 pounds is a nice crisp trigger to me.

There is a person that will do the trigger job on the Encore and other things as well to make the rifle as best a shooting rifle as possible. I forget his name. It is mentioned in past posts.

Here is the kicker to me, and I am not knocking Thompson Center... call me cheap or what.. If I had to pay close to $400.00 for a rifle and the trigger was not as good as I thought it should be, the company would be making the adjustments and probably getting a peice of my mind as well. I do not understand why so many Encore owners want the triggers adjusted. Are they really that bad? I don't have an Encore. I have a Black Diamond XR with a great trigger by the way. But after reading a lot of posts about Encore trigger adjustments, 25acp conversions, and in some cases the OLA being removed or the barrel re-crowned.. I would look somewhere else for a rifle. And I am a Thompson Center junkie you could say. I own over ten of their rifles (maybe more, I have not counted them in a while).
Old 09-24-2007, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the reply cayugad. My friend told me that he thought the trigger was probably 5 or 6lbs (don't know myself and don't know how accurate of an estimator he may be--never hunted with him). If it is 5 or more lbs, it has to be way to heavy for my personal liking.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hillbillyhunter1

Greetings guys,

I have a friend that has an encore (haven't looked closely at one myself). He said he would like to adjust the triggerto get a lighter pull. Is it possible for a novice or should he engage the service of a gunsmith? If it requires professional adjustment, would Thompson do it themselves if he shipped it to them (cheaper?)
Thanks
hb
Save some money and buy a Savage 10ML, the trigger is adjustable by you down to 2.5 lbs. It will also shoot smokeless and is more accurate out of the box. Chap Gleason
Old 09-24-2007, 02:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

The trigger on myEncore breaks like glass at 3.5 pounds. Matter of fact it has the best trigger of any factory rifle i havebought in the past20 years.There is no over travel at all. My Encore did have a somewhat rough bore that i smoothed out with jeweler's rouge.Other than that i do not have any gripes about my Encore at all: No "problem" with the QLA, no "need" for a whiz bang gadget that uses smallrifle primers, nothing. Last Friday i shot three consecutive three shot groups at 100 yards: All measured less than one inch.

Old 09-24-2007, 03:14 PM

ORIGINAL: falcon

The trigger on myEncore breaks like glass at 3.5 pounds. Matter of fact it has the best trigger of any factory rifle i havebought in the past20 years.There is no over travel at all. My Encore did have a somewhat rough bore that i smoothed out with jeweler's rouge.Other than that i do not have any gripes about my Encore at all: No "problem" with the QLA, no "need" for a whiz bang gadget that uses smallrifle primers, nothing. Last Friday i shot three consecutive three shot groups at 100 yards: All measured less than one inch.

It may shoot sabots and possibly powerbelts well, but how does it do with maxi hunters, maxi balls, great plains conicals? Those 3 conicals listed is where tc's often fall of the cliff.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

This log in crap is really gettingannoying!!

anyway - get this download http://www.bellmtcs.com/Prod_and_Serv/free_cd.htm

Get him to order his choice of springs from Bellm while he is there. Bellm has more info on that site about Encores than you can shake a stick at but, if you want him to do the work, he'll do that too.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

"but how does it do with maxi hunters, maxi balls, great plains conicals?"

i do not know how well it will shoots any of this stuffbecause inever plan to use them.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:49 PM
Typical Buck

I have owned my Encore for a very long time (1st year model) and have never had any problems that required any new parts or gun smiths. I did have to "de-bug" it this year though.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

My System One,Omega and Triumph will all shoot what I consider real decent for that type bullet[2 inch group]with PB and Maxiball and real bullets since I dont use them for hunting except on certain trips thats all I ever tried. The PB's will shoot with a heavy load but i keep them under 100gr so they hold together better[they work quite well with 90 gr. the maxi's usually shoot with about 80 or 85 and since Icast my own real bullets I make them a little harder and use 110gr; I never tried those great big heavy bullets they just dont appeal to me. Lee

Quick Reply: Adjusting Encore trigger pull?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.