HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Went to the sporting goods store today (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/207620-went-sporting-goods-store-today.html)

frontier gander 09-18-2007 06:46 PM

Went to the sporting goods store today

Well i had to take some packages to the dreaded UPS store and on the way back my sister and i stopped at the sporting goods store and i almost bought a package of great plains bullets before i decided i want to try something different.

I bought a package of knight high pressure sabots and a box of 50 Hornady XTP in 300 grain.

Im going to load up my winchester and take a couple shots at 50 yards just to see how they do. I will use 80 grains of triple 7 and work up from there. First i will see how they load!

The CVA Staghorn will give them ago after the winchester.

frontier gander 09-18-2007 07:13 PM

RE: Went to the sporting goods store today

Not bad for my first load! Tomorrow i will up my charge to 100 grains triple 7 and adjust from there. The first load was kind of slow and hard to load, but #2 3 4 loaded easier on a fouled barrel. I didnt swab between shots either. Once i get on sight i will switch to pyrodex p and see if i get tighter patterns or worse. Pretty happy with the groups so far.

Semisane 09-18-2007 07:23 PM

Not a bad start at all. I do like 300 grain bullets in sabots.

frontier gander 09-18-2007 08:37 PM

wow! i just loaded up the cva staghorn " non QLA barrel" and this thing loaded easier than my winchester that has the qla. This qla is over rated for easy loading.
90 grains pyrodex P
300 grain XTP " .452 dia"
knight High pressure sabot

This should be interesting to see how these sabots do in the barrels 1:32 twist.

gleason.chapman 09-19-2007 05:16 AM

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

Well i had to take some packages to the dreaded UPS store and on the way back my sister and i stopped at the sporting goods store and i almost bought a package of great plains bullets before i decided i want to try something different.

I bought a package of knight high pressure sabots and a box of 50 Hornady XTP in 300 grain.

Im going to load up my winchester and take a couple shots at 50 yards just to see how they do. I will use 80 grains of triple 7 and work up from there. First i will see how they load!

The CVA Staghorn will give them ago after the winchester.
I like the 300g Hornadys, they have a lot of down field energy, I however use the Mag, they are harder and penetrate deeper. I use to use Hornadyfor plinking before SabotLoader introduced me to Speer Gold Dot, now I use the Gold Dots. Your grouping pretty good at 50 with open sights. Best wishes. Chap Gleason

frontier gander 09-19-2007 01:04 PM

X-150 is on sight for 50 yards! 110 grains pyrodex p and a 300 grain XTP. #1 shot was my fault, i went and flinched[&o] # 2 and #3 were perfect! I also shot the cva staghorn with 90 grains pyrodex p and it shot pretty good but after seeing the groups from the staghorn, the next outing i will up it to 110 grains pyrodex p and call it quits there. Shots 2 and 3 were at 50 yards with the staghorn. Also unloaded my .54 cva big bore mountain rifle that was loaded for over a week in rainy weather and it fired off perfectly and was dead center and 3" high. Exactly where she should be!

Im pretty much set on keeping the x-150 right there, although i may try 120 grains pyro p and see what happens to the groups. Pretty good for never having any real sabot/bullet combo experience with this rifle :D It was also cheaper than buying 2 boxes of great plains conicals.

The sabots also loaded a lot easier with the pyrodex p and slipped down fairly easier than when i used triple 7.

frontier gander 09-19-2007 05:26 PM

Just took 2 100 yard shots with the sun glaring in my eyes and came away with an 1 1/4" 2 shot group! I have one more speedloader but am waiting for the sun to drop a bit so i can see my target better.
Talk about bad luck, After i get my target setup i turn around and the shooting table that i built fell in on its self! I had to settle for sitting down on the ground and used part of the table as a rest to shoot off of. I just have to use longer nails and then the table will be back in action lol.

Very surprised and happy with ive come up with so far.