Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Old Lyman

Old 09-25-2007, 08:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Old Lyman

Better put a ring on that girl before you lose her, she's a keeper...
Old 09-25-2007, 05:49 PM

I'd hold onto that girl if I were you...oh, and great buck too! You'll definitely have to throw up another pic if she tops that buck. I've been trying to top my first buck as well. Mine was with a shotgun on the opening day of the first deer season I ever hunted 4 years ago. It was a heavy 7 pointer, not including both of the brow tines that had been broken off by fighting. My first (and only) blackpowder deer was with that Lyman. I've gotten a couple deer with the bow, and with the shotgun. So far my only rifle deer was with my grandfather's .243 that he passed on to me as well (Rem 700 built in 1967). Good luck to both of you this season!
Old 09-25-2007, 06:06 PM
Dominant Buck

WOW!! that is a great deer. Load her rifle with 80 grains of Pyrodex RS or Pyrodex P and a patched roundball and I bet it will be a good shooter. I got my deer last year with my flintlock Lyman Trade Rifle, but nothing near what she has in that picture. And I wish her the best of luck, although from the picture it looks like she has better luck (or a better place to hunt) then I do.

Speaking of women hunting.. Many years ago, I took my wife deer hunting with me. We parked the truck on the field edgeand walked into the hardwoods on our property. Sat down in a stand I built, knowing she wanted to come and sit with me, and got comfortable. It wasn't twenty minutes andthat's when I saw a nice little buck coming my way up the trail towards us. I pointed it out to her and she was just fascinated watching it. As I took the safety off, she suddenly stood up.. yelled "Run for your life he's got a gun." She then turned around with this shocked look on her face, apologized to me for what she did and told me perhaps it would be better if she went home and left me to hunt alone. I agreed with her. Later that afternoon I shot a much bigger buck so maybe it was fate she did that.. but I never told her that.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rodburner72

Hey Chap, thanks for the info. Hers uses percussion caps. We'll probably just get some round balls and she can use them. She got her first deer last year and has the fever now. She shot a buck that had fourteen points and two broken ones. Everyone told her she'd never get another deer like that one and she says she's going to prove everyone wrong and I hope she can. Thanks again for the info.

Rodburner
Shot placement will be critical, so she should practice a lot with that gun, especially with open sights. 14 points, wow,she will have to hunt a lot of years to better that. Best wishes. Chap Gleason
Old 09-25-2007, 09:07 PM
Spike

She is a great girl, butI thought this forum was supposed to be about blackpowder guns. It doesn't take much to get you guys off the subject...lol Thanks for all the great info and she got a kick out of you guys. She really is a wonderful person. And another thing, she can cook GOOD!! My brother picked us up some round balls and patches at Bass Pro and should be here with them tomorrow. I'll try to keep you guys posted as to how she does when we shoot. Thanks again.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

"Off the subject"...We are all men!!! What she has doesn't ever go out of style...
No bathroom tapping in this bunch....Heck, I've been married 28 years, have 3 beautiful daughters, one is 25 and married....But I still appreciate a beautiful lady...I ain't dead yet...
Old 09-26-2007, 10:21 PM
Spike

She is beautiful and I know I'm a lucky man. Only thing is, she usually out fishes and out hunts me. She hasn't got the shotgun down yet so I can still get her on that one.
My brother got here with the balls and patches today and I can't wait to get her out there and let her shoot the gun.Thanks guys, it was a pleasure chatting with you!