HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Performance of Barnes TMZs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/205506-performance-barnes-tmzs.html)

mayguy 09-03-2007 04:00 PM

Performance of Barnes TMZs

I set up a steel bullet trap at my shooting range. I used 5/16 inch plate on about a 30 deg. angle. At 50 yds., using a 290gr TMZ pushed by 120 grs. of FFF - 777 the bullets completely flattened out and stayed intact. Every bullet I found looked just alike, because of the angle they hit the steel they looked like an eagle. I don't see how you could ask for any better performance. There also was a large bulge on the back side of the plate. They load too hard, in my Omega, with the yellow sabots, so I use a sub base and an HPH 24 sabot. I get about 5/8 inch groups, at 50 yds., with this combination.

gleason.chapman 09-03-2007 05:45 PM

RE: Performance of Barnes TMZs

ORIGINAL: mayguy

I set up a steel bullet trap at my shooting range. I used 5/16 inch plate on about a 30 deg. angle. At 50 yds., using a 290gr TMZ pushed by 120 grs. of FFF - 777 the bullets completely flattened out and stayed intact. Every bullet I found looked just alike, because of the angle they hit the steel they looked like an eagle. I don't see how you could ask for any better performance. There also was a large bulge on the back side of the plate. They load too hard, in my Omega, with the yellow sabots, so I use a sub base and an HPH 24 sabot. I get about 5/8 inch groups, at 50 yds., with this combination.
I shot the TMZ today the 290g. They hold a 3" group at 100 yard, but I am getting 1.5" with the Parker Ballistic Extreme. I wish they shot accurate in my Savage, but they don't, so I can't use them when I know there is a more accurate bullet. I do like the way the hold together and don't fragment. A lotta guys over on the Savage board love them and go to great lengths to get them to shoot in their guns--"kurling them", subbases, switch sabots and powders all sorts of things. They seem to have a large following over there. The TMZ is a great bullet, you won't be dissapointed. Chap Gleason

Semisane 09-03-2007 06:30 PM

I've never used the Parker BE, but have seen good terminal performance reports on them.

I use a little 100 grain Barnes Triple Shocks in my 25-06 and will state with conviction there is no better bullet for killing game than the Barnes all copper jobs. I'veseen two deer shot with TMZ's and results were fantistic. I just can't choke down the cost because of the amount of shooting I do - and I like to do it with bullets I'm going to hunt with. So Gold Bonds are my bullet of choice at the moment.

All in all, I'll give up an inch or two in group size for a bullet if feel I can trust to do the job on the receiving end.

gleason.chapman 09-04-2007 05:12 AM

ORIGINAL: Semisane

I've never used the Parker BE, but have seen good terminal performance reports on them.

I use a little 100 grain Barnes Triple Shocks in my 25-06 and will state with conviction there is no better bullet for killing game than the Barnes all copper jobs. I'veseen two deer shot with TMZ's and results were fantistic. I just can't choke down the cost because of the amount of shooting I do - and I like to do it with bullets I'm going to hunt with. So Gold Bonds are my bullet of choice at the moment.

All in all, I'll give up an inch or two in group size for a bullet if feel I can trust to do the job on the receiving end.

Agree with your assessment of the GoldDots and the TMZ, they are very expensive. The BE are also expensive, $18 for 12, but I will pay that for a hunting bullet, not a shooting bullet. I have 4 boxes of God Dots for general plinking bullet. Chap

Chris W. 09-04-2007 08:00 AM

Gotta love those barnes bullets. I'm shooting the 250 gr. expander out of my Knight KRB. With 110 gr. of 777, they print groups from 1 1/8"-1 1/2". I'm real anxious to see how they perform on deerthis season. I've heard a lot of good things from others.