Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Opinions on CVA Optima?? >

Opinions on CVA Optima??

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Opinions on CVA Optima??

Old 09-03-2007, 06:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Opinions on CVA Optima??

so far the only complaint I have is that it dose not like heavy loads it stays under an inch with most bullet and 110 or 120 gr rs but opens up to 3 inches with 150 gr; now I know that is just the individual gun and my bad luck.
Heck, with bad luck like that you should be buying lottery tickets.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:02 AM
Typical Buck

I have to ask, and please do not think that I'm trying to sound upset and/or more knowledgable than anybody here. I'm just curious.

Why do people knock CVA's? So they cost a less? What's the issue with that? Are there any known issues with the CVA's? I haven't found anything out of the norm online. There are only two opinions apparently:
1. From those who have them - they're great.
2. From those who do not have them - they're not a TC or another higher priced brand.

To me, this islike saying "forget buying a Savage, spend a little extra and get a Remington.". I was told the same thing when I bought my Mossberg - just buy a Benelli. I ended up getting a Benelli - my Mossberg patterns better hands down.

To my, anything mass produced can have it's flawed runs. But, they can also have quality runs as well.

Please do not think that I'm ranting, knocking other brands, or anything else negative. I'm just curious.

Thanks.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:15 AM
Typical Buck

CVA had a problem with one rifle a long time ago. Since then I believe that they have corrected that problem but the final decision for me is as follows. T/C, Knight , White and NEF are all American made products backed by an American company that has manufacturing facilities here in the USA (White of course is now out of business but quality material none the less). CVA, Traditions, Remington, and Winchesterall use Spainish produced products and are backed by companies that have holdings here as well as in other countries. The production is not in the USA and parts might be more difficult to come by although if that is not a concern then I guess you should buy what appeals to you. I only own one rifle from out of the USA and it is a Lyman flintlock made in Italy. If you follow the manufacturers recommendations and stay below the listed "maximum" loads all should be just fine to use. 150 grain loads are not necessary for anything I have found to shoot as yet. All this is obviously one persons opinion and I do not want to start a big debate which this kind of question always does.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:24 AM
Typical Buck

The optima I had was a good shooting rifle. It was nothing fancy and, truthfully, a little rough around the edges as far as finish work goes, but it got the job done with no problems. If it was all I could afford, I wouldn't feel ill equipped shooting an optima again but, if I had the money, I would spend a little extra and getthe T/C or a Knight. I believe the overall quality is much better with those rifles. By the way, I sold my optima this past Spring and purchased a Knight rolling block. I couldn't be happier with the decision.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for all the input! They have a T/C Z7 I believe it was? It has a thumbhole stock. It has the drop action trigger. It costs $300. I may buy it, but I need to check it out better first. Does anyone have an opinion on the Z7?

chris
Old 09-04-2007, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a very ealy specimen of the CVA Optima and found it disappointing, to say the least. The model has apparently evolved in the time since and I would expect today's Optima to be a better rifle. I've had limited experience shooting CVA rifles but must say the couple that I have shot seemed solid enough but showed poor fit and finish. Paying more for a rifle won't automatically get you a better one, but it sometimes increases the odds.

To heck with all that!! I want to see a KP1.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:50 PM

You should look at the TCs or Knights before you make a choice. They will smoke that CVAany day--in the right hands!
Old 09-04-2007, 12:52 PM

better put either one in my hands, ive seen how u shoot

Smoke em with sabots or conicals?
Old 09-06-2007, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I bought the T/C Z5 Omega. It has the synthetic thumbhole stock. I know, I know. I'll probably get some crap about the stock. Anyway that's the model they had and it felt good to me. I'm not going to be shooting at anything over 100yrds so it should be more than enough ML for me. Most of my hunting (deer) would envolve 75yrds and under. I mostly hunt in the woods with either a blind or in a treestand. I have the White Mountain Carbine as well. I will probably sell my Trad. B-Hunter Pro. My brother-in-law is already drooling over the new T/C!! He may buy my Traditions off me. It has the camo stock upgrade, 209 conv. kit. And is in mint condition. I don't know what to sell it for though. I got a good deal on it. I think it originally listed for about $259. I can't wait to shoot the new T/C!

Old 09-08-2007, 04:47 PM

I have an optima elite and love it! That being said, I've shot my buddies t/c pro hunter and it's pretty darn nice. Is it worth the extra coin?, not to me it's not. Your gonna find that most people on this site are very brand loyal and of course "their" gun choice is the best. Just get what YOU want and don't worry bout everyone else.

Quick Reply: Opinions on CVA Optima??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.