Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 MLing is screwed up!!!!! >

MLing is screwed up!!!!!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

MLing is screwed up!!!!!

Old 09-02-2007, 09:45 PM

Default MLing is screwed up!!!!!

I shot 4 times again two days ago(those were all I had). I used 100 grains of Pyrodex and 250 grain XTP bullets at 100 yds---the same load I just shot a 1 3/4 inch group with the other day. I can't believe this ****!!!! I could not get a group. The first shot landed 6 inches high, right where it normally hits. The second one decided to have a mind of it's own and landed precisely 6 inches below that one. Shot3 also had it's own ideas and hit exactly 6 inches low of the second. The fourth shot decidedto stay with it and hit 1 1/2 inches below shot 3.

Can anyone explain what went on there? Why would they hit in that formation? I didn't swab but I am sure that couldn't cause that kind of drop.....

I know it wasn't me so don't even bring up that conclusion. Even I have never shot that bad. Any ideas? I would love to get to the bottom of this.

thanks!
Old 09-02-2007, 09:53 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: MLing is screwed up!!!!!

Not swabbing could have had more of an impact then you suspect, although 6 inches is a lot of difference. You did not change primers or anything like that, you cleaned the barrel first of any grease, the locking lugs were about as tight as always, so you have to look at environmental factors.

Was there wind? Was the temperature extreme? Were you shooting fast and heated up the barrel? Did you change anything in the manner you shot today that you did the other day when you had good groups? Did you physically feel the same..

I really do not know why what happened what happened. BUT join the club. I have days like that too.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

I know exactly what happened - you were shooting a muzzleloader!

THE LAWS APPLY.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:21 PM

As far as I can tell, there was NO difference in the load and shooting system than there was before.

I guess that's just MLing. Some days you get it, some days you don't!!!
Old 09-03-2007, 08:10 AM
Typical Buck

What rifle were you shooting? I have had similar experience with my Omega and there are some rifle specific things that can cause the POI change. In my case it mostly relates to how the stock is reattached to the barrel after cleaning. There are a couple of other smaller items on the Omega that can cause some problems.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you have a plastic stock look at the bedding for cracks. I you have not already done it check the screws from stock to barrel for the amount of tension if its not the same it will shoot different. If you have a scope on it take it off and if it shoots good with irons and the mounts are good and solid then the scope gave up [thats about the way they act when they do, or you could try a different scope if you have one .There are certain powders like APP that can collect moisture and cause said problem, if you are not using black or pyrodex try a few shots with one of them. Check your barrel inside and out carfully especally the crown a scratch or ding on the crown can cause this problem then you have to recrown. Lee
Old 09-03-2007, 10:33 AM

i'd check out the stock. From what you describe, its pointing directly at the flimsy stock. Its amazing how many forums you can come across and find the same problems you are having.

Now that i think of it, call TC and see if they will exchange your stock for a laminated stock. Its worth a shot, and if not, theres nothing lost.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:43 PM
Typical Buck

Outdoors -

Like Cayugad, I think swabbing can be a major factor. I believe it's one of those things where you can shoot a handful of shots and not have a problem because your powder ignites very consistently, or, you can fire a shot where powder residue cakes in a groove and there's no way to tell other than results like you had. It may also be that once residue cakes in a groove, a subsequent shot "cooks" it in place and even swabbing doesn't take it out unless you really get it wet.

Go back to swabbing and posting sub 2 inch groups!
Old 09-03-2007, 09:52 PM

I have never shot a 2 inch group while swabbing......

Explain that!!! Everyone claims that swabbing is so mandatory but I swear my best groups were without it.

I do shoot the Omega and didn't take the stock off since the last time I used it(and shot a 2 inch group). That couldn't be the problem but I will go right now and check for cracks and try and solve the issue. I'll check the sights as well and anything that could go wrong. If there's a noticeable problem I'll let you know. Thanks for those suggestions.

Comps not working good....that's whyI haven't been on.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:55 PM

i feel the same way about swabbing. When i have a powder thats consistant, i usually wont see a difference until the 5th or 6th shot when they start to open up a bit.

Quick Reply: MLing is screwed up!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.