HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   mmp sabots / .40/ 10mm bullets (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/205184-mmp-sabots-40-10mm-bullets.html)

meh101465 09-01-2007 07:59 AM

mmp sabots / .40/ 10mm bullets

those of you that have experience with the mmp / .40 / 10mm sabot bullet combo, what are your results from hunting , penetration / expansion / accuracy with this or similar combo's ?

what bullet do you use i.e. weight / style

powder/ weight /type ??

thanks for all your input ........MIKE

yeoman 09-01-2007 08:36 AM

RE: mmp sabots / .40/ 10mm bullets

Meh - i don't know anyone who has tried one on a deer. I will say I'm getting the feeling I can produce better results at long range using a heavier bullet with better ballistic coefficient than the 10mm/200. They seem noticeably more influenced by wind. I have high hopes for the .430 300's should they ever arrive for testing. I have only shot the 200's with 90 and 100 grains of Pyrodex. Sabotloader has pushed the envelope with them so he will hopefully comment.

Wolfhound76 09-01-2007 10:52 AM

There not legal here so I haven't put much effort or money into shooting them. Mostly just some range timeout of curiosity. I've shot the 200 SST's and 200 XTP's. They shoot well in my Omega but I have no idea of game perfomance.

lemoyne 09-01-2007 12:47 PM

I have used them on 2 deer and 2 boar with excelant results they were all good hits and all dropped in a very few yds the one boar was shot in the inside of the frount shoulder and the bullet {Shock wave] exited through the ham on the other side leaving a good size hole he droped on the spot none actually went far enough to be able to say much about the blood trail. I read where a man and wife uaing them killed moose with them. I have played with the 200gr XTP and they shoot good although the POI is different and I have yet to use them on game, I know from past experance that XTP's generally open up much faster than SW"s. Lee

herman 09-01-2007 01:23 PM

I used the 200 sst and the 195 gr barnes one year to take 2 deer with a 50 cal encore.I think the 8pt was at 100 yds with the 195 barnes,I lost the deer to find 3 days later,the 195 had penciled through behind the shoulder.No blood or hair when the smoke cleared I din't know which way the deer ran,we looked for a couple hours for it then.Found it 3 days later by the smell,it had gone about 75 or 80 yds onto other club land.
With the 200 sst 45 yd broadside behind the shoulder,think it went less than 20 yds,Blood every where.Complete pass through.
The 200 gr 10 mm was just as accurate but didn't try them on deer,before I sold the encore.

oldsmellhound 09-01-2007 01:44 PM

I pretty much exclusively use the 10mm XTP (200 grains), although I shoot them out of a .45 cal instead of a .50. I know some others have gotten really good accuracy with the mmp sabot/10mm XTP in the .50 cal. My accuracy has been decent - I'm still trying to tweak the load I'm using (trying different primers, different powder charges) to dial it in a little better.

Last year was my first year with a ML - I took one 4 point buck - my setup was 2 - 50 grain 777 pellets, 200 grain 10mm XTP. I shot the buck at 108 paces (about 100 yards) - hit it just under the spine at a downward angle - the bullet expanded, passed through the back of the lungs & the liver before exiting. The exit hole was golf-ball sized. The deer dropped in his tracks, kicked a few times, and that was it.

I was impressed enough with the performance that I've decided to stick with the XTP's, even though I still haven't got the accuracy to where I want it (recently I've been shooting 1" groups at 50 yards, but 3-4" groups at 100).