Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Nosler Partitions

Old 08-27-2007, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Nosler Partitions

I've searched the Nosler site but did not find a difinative answer. Hopefully someone here can help.

I have the packaged 300 gr Nosler Partitions. The bullet diameter is .451. Is this the same bullet as the 45-70 300 gr partition? They don't list the diameter of the 45-70 bullet.

I really can't see them having a special run on just ML'ing bullets unless it could be doubled up elsewhere.

I'm trying to save a few pennies as the packaged ML bullets are 2.00 and up if you include shipping.

Thanks
Old 08-27-2007, 06:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Nosler Partitions

Bullets for the 45-70 will be either .457 or .458. You can use them in a .50 caliber ML with MMP orange sabots which are made for that diameter bullets.

The .451 and .452 bullets made by Nosler, Speer, Hornady, etc., are not special run ML bullets. They are made for .45 caliber pistols like the 45 Colt, 45 ACP (the lighter bullets), and the .454 Casull. They work so well in MLs because they are built for impact velocities suitable for a hot pistol load that is similar to ML velocities. Harvester, MMP, and others make .50 caliber sabots for use with .451/.452 bullets.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:18 PM

I dont understand all the bullet combinations either.I was wondering if you could use any .45 cal pistol bullet in a 50 cal. in line as long as a guy has the right sabot right? I know the bullets are cheaper by buying them in bulk.I think as long as you get 45. cal bullet with the diameter is .451 it should work.Correct me if Im wrong
Old 08-27-2007, 06:19 PM

the bullet diameter for the 45/70 is .458 . I've never looked for a partition in this wieght , but i shoot the remington / hornady .458 bullet in my 45/70 , and am now trying them out in my cva hunterbolt . this bullet works great in the 45/70 , i hope it does likewise in the cva .
Old 08-27-2007, 06:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think as long as you get 45. cal bullet with the diameter is .451 it should work.Correct me if Im wrong
Hey Okie48, you're right to some extent. You can use a .50 caliber .451/.452sabot to shoot any .451 or .452 caliber bullet, butbullet selection is important.

For example, if you shoot .452 200grain round nose full metal jacket or cast lead bullets made for the .45 ACP they will probably not be very accurate an definately would not be suitable fordeer size game. OK for short range plinking and varmints though (but you'd probably be better off with a patched round ball).

The reason you see Hornady XTPs marketed with sabots for MLs is that they are appropriate deer bullets. Nosler partitions are excellent. Speer Gold Dots, either 250 or 300 grains, are fine also.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guy's! I knew someone here would know the answer.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HuntAway

I've searched the Nosler site but did not find a difinative answer. Hopefully someone here can help.

I have the packaged 300 gr Nosler Partitions. The bullet diameter is .451. Is this the same bullet as the 45-70 300 gr partition? They don't list the diameter of the 45-70 bullet.

I really can't see them having a special run on just ML'ing bullets unless it could be doubled up elsewhere.

I'm trying to save a few pennies as the packaged ML bullets are 2.00 and up if you include shipping.

Thanks
No. The 45-70 bullets are .458 and you have to use an MMP Orange Sabot with them. I have been using the Noslers 300g HG Protected Point for several years and they are great bullets. Strong solid, expand well and shoot thru deer. Chap Gleason
Old 08-28-2007, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

ORIGINAL: HuntAway

Thanks
No. The 45-70 bullets are .458 and you have to use an MMP Orange Sabot with them. I have been using the Noslers 300g HG Protected Point for several years and they are great bullets. Strong solid, expand well and shoot thru deer. Chap Gleason
I might have better luck getting the 45-70 bullets up here in Canada. At least they are advertised for sale. I'm still searching for a source for the HG's. Someone in this vast land must sell them.

The way they shoot out of my Omega was amazing. It would be a sin if all I could buy would be the pre-packaged expensive ones.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:45 PM
XTP

Well these guys certainly already answered your question but I can add one other option, and that is the Nosler S.H.O.T.S.
I use the 300 grain in mine and it performs very well. Basically just a standard jacketed bullet for a fraction of the cost of Partitions.
The bucks I have taken didn't notice that they were not premium rounds...
The bonus is they are supposed to be balistically identical to the Partition and shoot exactly the same so you can switch between them if needed.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: XTP

Well these guys certainly already answered your question but I can add one other option, and that is the Nosler S.H.O.T.S.
I use the 300 grain in mine and it performs very well. Basically just a standard jacketed bullet for a fraction of the cost of Partitions.
The bucks I have taken didn't notice that they were not premium rounds...
The bonus is they are supposed to be balistically identical to the Partition and shoot exactly the same so you can switch between them if needed.
They don't fragment? At 100 yards 300g XTP and Speer Gold dot shoot the same as Partitions in myBP inlines (Knight and TC Omega)Chap Gleason

Quick Reply: Nosler Partitions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.