Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 help me buy a muzzle loader >

help me buy a muzzle loader

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

help me buy a muzzle loader

Old 08-26-2007, 09:11 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: help me buy a muzzle loader

ORIGINAL: bassfisherman711

I am curious about purchasinga muzzle loader. I have heard Knight is one heck of a brand. I really cant afford much. What rifles would you suggest that are very reliable are a good price.

If any of yall are selling one, let me know as well.

Thanks
http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6831

Here is one I found that would be a great rife for you. If you want to shoot sabots, and able to hit at some impressive distances I might add, and have the ability to shoot a excellent quality comfortable rifle, able to do it all, at a very good price..

This Knight Disc is NIB and on sale. They used to sell for over $300.00 so this might be worthlooking into. I have a Knight Disc. While it does take a primer holder, I do not find that a draw back. They are not all that bad for cleaning and these are guaranteed to be shooters by Knight Rifles. Also you have the Knight service department ot back you up.

Load 100-150 grains of powder and a Knight Red Hot or Barnes 250-300 class bullet and you have a shooter. Mine shoots 120 grains of loose powder and Barnes bullets very well.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:00 AM

what kind of muzzle loader should i get. i dont understand the lingo such as "sabots" and whatnot.
I'm still going to say Omega. Best for the money out there IMO. Sabots, I believe that's a french word meaning "shoe" pronounced "say-bow." In muzzleloading, it's a plastic piece that goes over a bullet that's smaller than the diameter of the bore. For example, you can shoot a .45 bullet in a 50 caliber muzzleloader by using a sabot on it to take up the extra space. Instead of bore sized bullets (conicals) it gives you the option of shooting a smaller, more aerodynamic bullet for longer range performance.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:53 PM
Typical Buck

ok, that is very neat. I watched some hunts this morning where the hunters were using muzzle loaders, this is goiing to be fun. The real reason I want one, well two reasons. 1. they look like a lot of fun to shoot. 2. opening day of muzzle loader season is the first saturday of november here in VA, and the big bucks are ALWAYS moving then. I want to carry a gun into the woods with me then, instead of a bow, because if i see a big guy at 75 yards, i cant reach an arrow out that far, but a muzzleloader sure would do some damage. hot dog i am excited!
Old 08-26-2007, 01:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

hot dog i am excited!
Uh-Oh! You went and caught the bug. There's no hope now.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:03 PM

you can sight your bow in for 75 yards! My brother has an old late 1980's compound bow and hes on at 75 yards.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bassfisherman711

2. opening day of muzzle loader season is the first saturday of november here in VA, and the big bucks are ALWAYS moving then.
Since you live in VA, you should consider a Savage 10ML, they are legal in VA, very accurae rifle right out of the box. Chap Gleason Purcellville Va
Old 08-26-2007, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

You definately need to figure out the "lingo" before you buy.

Sabots: a smaller than bore sized bullet that fits inside a plastic sleeve

Conical: Big hunk of lead that is full bore sized does not have a plastice sleeve , although the powerbelts have a plastic skirt and are still considered a conical.

If the law where you hunt allows sabots, they are usually better in that they CAN be more accurate and also you can use more advanced bullets, ones that are designed to mushroom, but hang together better if you hit something hard like a bone.

If you are going to ONLY shoot sabots, then the Omega is a great gun!

However, if you think you might want to shoot conicals at anytime in the future (like in Colorado that does not allow sabots), then the Omega is not most peoples first choice. My Omega will not shoot conicals worth a durn

Good luck.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

bassfisherman711

You kow if you are looking for a good dependable starter gun - this might be one... Thompson Center Black Diamond. Comes with an excellent barrel and a proven receiver. The only down side is that they tend to get dirty in the action, but if you are going to use it for hunting and do notplan on shooting it a ton it would be a good gun.

I was looking in the Natchez catalog tonight and saw it... either the Black Diamond or the Black Diamond XR. Might send cayugad a PM asking him about the gun. He has one and it shoots great for him....

http://www.natchezss.com/brand.cfm?brand=TC&mfgSubGroup=3752

http://www.natchezss.com/brand.cfm?brand=TC&mfgSubGroup=3752

I would suggest a 50 cal vs a 45 cal.

Good luck in your searches