Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 cleaning /range vs field >

cleaning /range vs field

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

cleaning /range vs field

Old 08-25-2007, 04:38 AM

Default cleaning /range vs field

Ineed input / suggestions on how to clean at the range (in between shots??),and to all hunters , do you swab after you shoot a critter,or just load back up???
I got my orange sabots from MMP yesterday , with the 300 remington jhp .458 bullets they shoot great .first two were dang near touching , dropped third one a little low , and left ( probably me ) .more later .
thanks in advance .Mike
Old 08-25-2007, 05:32 AM

Default RE: cleaning /range vs field

After shooting an animal I swab with a wet patch and then a dry patch the same as I do at the range.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:22 AM

Wet, dry, reload! If you need a fast follow up shot and you know where a fouled barrel shot willhit, then you don't need to clean.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

meh101465

At the range, i do patch in between shots. I use a simple windex patch that I prepare in bulk. Cayugad has a solution of windshield washing fluid and alcohol, that he uses and other people do you other things. I patch between shots at the range because that will be the same condition my bore will be in when I am hunting.

In the field - if I needed to quick load I could and would not loose to much, but in most cases I do run a spit patch after a shot @ an animal. Very seldom do I run a dry patch - as I "THINK" I have the moisture thing figured out - even at the range. I would SUGGEST that a dry patch be ran any time you think you might have left moisture in the barrel.

I posted a thing about how I prepare my range patches "Damp Bore Patches" you could look at. If you try this make sure you press as much windex out as you can with your thumbs....

Old 08-25-2007, 09:45 AM
Typical Buck

At the range, I typically swab after every second, sometimesthird, shot. In the field, I do a quick reload with no swabbing. The difference in impact between my first and second shots doesn't warrant wasting time swabbing in the field.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:51 AM

ORIGINAL: Chris W.

At the range, I typically swab after every second, sometimesthird, shot. In the field, I do a quick reload with no swabbing. The difference in impact between my first and second shots is negligible to waste timewith swabbing in the field.
That's something best tried at the range first. I remember trying to load a bullet without swabbing in my Omega after I swtched to the 25 ACP ignition. It produced so much less fouling that I thought I could skip the swab for hunting. I got it stuck about 2" from being seated. Luckily I tried it at the range first so I knew I still had to swab after every shot while hunting. [&:]
Old 08-25-2007, 11:02 AM
Typical Buck

That's something best tried at the range first.
Yep, I agree.Hopefully, folks take their rifle to the range and work through things before going out in the field. As I said earlier, I don't swab until after the second shot, sometimes third. In my rifle, the third bullet does go down a bit tighter than the first, but it's no where near difficult to get down and seat.Personally, I wouldn't shoot aload, or rifle,where I had to swab between every shot just to be able to load the bullet or get decent accuracy. I'd be looking for a different load or a new rifle.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I find that the second minni that I shoot is a bit tighter on line than the first so while in the field I never swab when I have to reload. I'm not saying that no swabbing works better, just how it groups with my Traditions Pursuit. If I were you I would experiment at the range to find what works best for your gun and the loads that you are using. I think we could give you all the advice in the world but the only way to find out is by your own experimentation at the range.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:27 AM

ORIGINAL: Chris W.

Personally, I wouldn't shoot aload, or rifle,where I had to swab between every shot just to be able to load the bullet or get decent accuracy. I'd be looking for a different load or a new rifle.
I'm just so used to it that it doesn't bother me. I take two ramrods to the range, one for loading and one for swabbing. I have all my patches premoistened and stick dry ones in a pocket for quick access. I do it even when I don't have to out of habit more than anything. A while back I was testing some sabots in a dirty bore (no swabbing period) and It was one of the hardest shooting sessions I can remember (not the loading). I kept wanting to swab the bore out.

I can understand why you don't like swabbing. Some people just like toload and shoot. I go shooting with a gun that all I have to do is load and shoot and I get bored fast. There's not enough for me to do. I can have all my shooting done in 15 minutes that way. With my ML I'll go and shoot for a few hours and have fired 15 or 20 shots max. I get just as much enjoyment out of the loading process as I do the shooting.

Edit: Don't know why it double quoted on me. [&:]
Old 08-25-2007, 12:32 PM

ORIGINAL: meh101465

"...to all hunters , do you swab after you shoot a critter,or just load back up???..."
Muzzleloading is a one shot sport...we know that going in and accept the challege...IMO, there's no such thing as a "fast follow up shot" so there's no need to load right back up in a dirty barrel.

The first shotshouldeither drop the animal where it stands so there's no NEED for a fast followup shot.....or, the animal will bolt 25-35 yards beforefalling, typically then out of sight past some trees, etc...andin that case/most cases...there's no CHANCE for a fast followup up shot.

Plus...I neverpush a deer right away anyway...after I shoot onewith apatchedball froma Flintlock, Istand right there and very quietly take maybe 10 minutes with a "field cleaning kit" froma ziploc bag and thoroughly/completely clean, dry, and lube the bore...then reload, then go fetch the deer...if it's early morning I'll drag him back to the stand and sit down to hunt some more with a clean rifle.

One of the mainthings aboutdeer hunting, particularly with muzzleloaders, is patience: think one shot...wait for it...make it count. IMO, a reload in the field is simply handy for a possible2nd deer in the same day.

Quick Reply: cleaning /range vs field

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.