Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 I've finally done it!!!! >

I've finally done it!!!!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I've finally done it!!!!

Old 08-22-2007, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I've finally done it!!!!

After years of being a Minute of Moose, Deer, Bear, Bunny etc guy. I've finally joined the MOA gang and I done it with, of all things, a muzzleloader!!!

Firearm: TC Omega w/ a 3x9x40 Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn w/Circle X Reticle (power set at 7.5x).
Load: 110 gr 2F T7, 209 Winchester Primer, 300 gr, .451 Cal Nosler Partition w/ supplied Sabot.
Weather: Overcast w/ misty rain, light breeze head on.
Range: 100 yds lasered, shot off a bench.

I don't know if I measured the target correctly but this is how I did it. The holes were not crisp so I measured to the outside edge of the gray area around the hole. Largest spread was 1 inch minus the .451 cal = a .549" group (edit: thanks wabi)? If nothing else it's a minimum 1" group.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v445/HuntAway/?action=view&current=107-0786_IMG.jpg

Now for the tricky part......Repeating it!!! LOL
Old 08-22-2007, 01:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: I've finally done it!!!!

HuntAway

Dag Nab! that is a heck of a target group... Congrats!!!!

Hope you do not mind but I posted your target here.... those Noslers are great bullets...

Old 08-22-2007, 01:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Well Sabotloader if you were not going to post that picture for him, I was going to anyway. Something like that needs to be admired. I do not need a ruler to know what I am looking at there. That is some outstanding shooting on your part. How long did it take to wipe the smile off your face??

Really good shooting. Those Omega's are a good shooting rifle from all I have read. I guess you just wanted to reinforce that point.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guy's, I'm still smiling.

Thanks sabotloader for posting the picture. I tried to resize it but it wouldn't go under a 100 kb for me for some reason????

I also shot some PR Dead Centers 340 gr and a Hornady SST (yes, just one)with the same powder charge. The PR's were all over the place at 110 gr and the SST was a bear to load (I mean it was seriously hard to load. I thought I was going to bend my range rod loading it) SST's are officially off my menu for the Omega.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Darn good group.
If those are 1" squares on the target that's well under 1".
Probably somewhere between 1/2 & 3/4".
(1" outside less .451 would give .549 center to center)
Old 08-22-2007, 02:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Looking good....Looking good....

Now...Take the wife out to dinner, buy a bottle of wine....
and make it a real good day!!!!
Old 08-22-2007, 02:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

HuntAway

and the SST was a bear to load (I mean it was seriously hard to load. I thought I was going to bend my range rod loading it) SST's are officially off my menu for the Omega.
You can still shoot the SST's from your Omega - you just have to change out the sabots, from the supplied HPH-12's to HPH-24's - or if you pick up TC Shockwaves - they will fit with the supplied sabot...

Posting a big pic (if you have it posted on a host site...)- click on the yellow mountain landscape pic on the menu bar... it will trigger a pop up that you have OK at the top of the pic for a one time permission. Then follow the screen directions... sounds easy to me but....

Old 08-22-2007, 02:24 PM
Dominant Buck

I ran into the same thing with SST's from Hornady when shooting my Black Diamond XR. They loaded so hard I actually broke my short starter. And one of them I had to.. [&o] pound down the barrel to get it seated so I could fire it off. I was really disappointed that very first day I got to shoot my brand new Black Diamond. I was ready to send it back and swear off inlines.

I then bought some of the Thompson Center Shockwaves, and the difference was like day and night. It is all in the sabot. Get some Harvester Crushed Rib sabots in .452 and those SST's will load like a dream.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:25 PM
Typical Buck

Very nice Huntaway!! I believe I would have made an exception to my 5 shot rule right about where you did!
Old 08-22-2007, 02:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

Dave not to get sideways with you, but I really believe the "crush rib," while it might be necessary in some rifes - it should not be used at the drop of the hat. Especially not for the ease of loading. If you can load a short or long petal Harvester you are better off.

The "crush rib" often leaks pressure creating a difference anywhere from 200 to 400 fps at the muzzle as compared to the thin offering from MMP - the HPH-3p-EZ. There is a greater loss when comparing the "crush rib" to the regular Harvester of the HPH-24. At first i thought it just might be me and my test bore (an A&H) - but i have tested it from @ least 4 of my otherguns and 3 guns belonging to other people.

The loss of 2/400 fps really does not show up that much in a 100 yard target but as you would know as you extend out from a 100 the drop really becomes apparent. The groups stay together but they do drop on the target.

Just my findings... not looking to cause a controversy...

I thought I had a write up about my testing on this computer but I do not find it...

Quick Reply: I've finally done it!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.