Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

barrel swabbing?

Old 08-18-2007, 07:51 PM

Default barrel swabbing?

I read where alot of people swab there barrel between shots at the range. Do you remove your breech plug,after every shot? I use a regular cleaning jag and it goes down all right,but it wont come back up.The only way I have been able to run a patch down my barrel is remove the breech plug and push it through the other end. Is there a trick to attaching the patch to the jag or what??
Old 08-18-2007, 07:56 PM

Default RE: barrel swabbing?

to tight of patch maybe? Try swabbing the barrel a few inches at a time and see if that help. Ive done that before in my traditional rifles and just use my leathermans to pull the ramrod back out. When shooting my inline i dont swab between shots. A few times i did swab between shots and just left the breech plug in. Just make sure you dry the barrel well.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

No, I never remove my breech plug...Realize that you need to dampen the patch and not use too thick a patch...

Here's what I don't think most people realize...When you use a cleaning jag and a cleaning patch, you want it to be a fairly loose fit going down the barrel so you don't push all that residue down to the touch hole, then once you get the jag down to the breech and pull back up, the patch bunches up a bit and you pull the residue UP the barrel....

Most jag diameters are too large, I chuck mine up in a drill, take a file to them and turn them down...
Old 08-18-2007, 08:08 PM

Too large a patch? I usually cut them 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" for 50 cal. Sometimes if the patch is overly large it won't come back up. The cloth jams up at the bottom of the barrel.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:23 PM
Dominant Buck

A mistake a lot of people make is the first patch, the swabbing patch, is either too large, and or not damp enough. Also never just shove that down the barrel or you will pack fowling around it and it will get stuck. Instead, dampen the patch with what ever solution you like. When you get that into the barrel, work down the bore in three to four inch strokes, getting longer with the stroke as you move down the barrel. The closer to the breech the shorter the stroke you sometimes have to use. You will feel the fowling and you almost have to scrub that area.

Then move the patch back up the barrel the same way you went down, in short strokes. After you pull that out, flip it over to the other side and do it all over again. After the damp patch then you can work dry patches down the barrel in the same manner you did the damp patch. Short strokes. Usually two dry patches are enough to dry the bore. Never send a dry patch down a fowled barrel. And if you do get one stuck, normally if you pour some isopropyl alcohol down the barrel, to dampen the patch, you can pull it. A T handle on your range rod is a great help in these cases.

Some solvents to use, windex, water, a 50/50 mix of isopropyl alcohol and car windshield washer fluid, and of course there are solvents sold for this purpose/ If you think the patch is too wet, ring it out with your fingers.

The main thing is take your time. If you feel lots of pressure, then go no further. You know you can move it back the short stroke distance to remove it. No need to take the breech plug out. If you think the breech might be too wet, then pop a couple 209 primers through it as well before you load again.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:25 PM
Fork Horn

Had that problem with crude ring . Make sure that you patch is wet ( not dripping ) or run a brush down the barrel first .
Charlie
Old 08-18-2007, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where is the patch hanging up? If you are able to run it down near (a few inches from)the breech & then remove it without trouble the problem might be a "crud ring" forming. If you lose it at any point in the barrel I'd guess either the patch is too loose, or your cleaning jag is undersized.
(I like the "knurled" jag head as opposed to a "ringed" one - they seem to hold on to patches better)
Old 08-19-2007, 07:03 AM

I guess I wasnt doing it right.My patch will go to the breech plug and then it wont come back out just the jag. Ill try again today,using you guys methods.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:18 AM

Ok. So your using a patch that's too loose or the jag is too small. Which jag are you using? I like the short knurled ones from Thompson Center. They seem to hold the patch better. What kind of patch are you using too?
Old 08-19-2007, 07:53 AM

Hi Wolf hound.Its just a jag for a 50 cal. I think it is made by TC. I cut my own patchs outta old t-shirts.Im going to try some of you guys suggestions here pretty soon.Ill make them smaller.I use TC #13 bore cleaner on one then I use a couple of dry patches, then if Im done shooting the last patch has Rem. oil on it and thats how I store it.
I stilled havent shot my Knight Disk Extreme yet, I did buy 60 dollars worth of cleaning supplies,red plastic disks.I got it all cleaned up and ready to go.Im getting some powder and bullets soon.I guess Ill get a pound of triple 7 ffg loose.Is that what you use in your Rifles Wolfhound?? I was thinking of trying the Hornaby Sabots, I see they are lot cheaper than the Barnes Sabots.Maybe the 300 grain XTPs. What do you think? start out with about 90 grains of powder for a load??

Quick Reply: barrel swabbing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.