Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Lyman Plains Pistol & T-7 >

Lyman Plains Pistol & T-7

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lyman Plains Pistol & T-7

Old 08-13-2007, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Lyman Plains Pistol & T-7

Bought a pound of T-7 to try in the Lyman Mustang last week, and decided to try the T-7 in the plains pistol this evening. Haven't shot the pistol in quite a while, so it took me a few shots to settle down and get intodecent shooting form. After a few round ball rounds to get me used to the feel & trigger pull againI went to my favorite projectiles, Lee REAL bullets.
I was shooting offhand at only 50 feet since I haven't shot a the pistol much lately. At that range with 40 grains of ffg T-7 and the REAL bullets I shot an under 2" 5 shot group. With that charge the pistol had some recoil, but not really uncomfortable, and perfect ignition every shot (using CCI 11Mag caps). The suggested max load for the pistol is 40 grains behind a .490 ball, but I've shot conicals in it for years and never had any indication of excessive pressures.
I might even go to the trouble of chronographing that load one of these days, if my hunting buddy will loan me his chronograph. He put a sabot through the display window on my chronograph, so I don't have one anymore...... but then he might figure I plan to get even and refuse to let me shoot through it with a muzzleloader.
I'd say that load will probably be what I carry in it when I packthe pistolonmy trapline this winter.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:52 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Lyman Plains Pistol & T-7

I might give T-7 3f a try in my cap and ball but I think I will cut back the charge a little from the normal load. Altough the way it shot that APP 3f I was real impressed. Maybe I should stick with what I know works.

That actually would be a good hard hitting load you are shooting there.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hard to judge the power from recoil because of the stock design. The stock "rolls" in my hand, so I'd guess it's more than it feels like. Sort of like shooting a .44 mag single action as compared to a double action revolverwith the difference in stock design. The single action doesn't hurt my hand, but the double action pushes straight back and feels much worse. Definately less recoil than the 45/70 Contender pistol I used to own.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:44 PM

If you have a chrony chronograph they will give you a new one for $25.00 if you send them the old shot up one.I'm on my third.