HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   777 hangfires.......... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/200519-777-hangfires.html)

Pioneer2 08-03-2007 04:08 PM

777 hangfires..........

Been having hangfires with 2F 777 out of a TCHawken+Renegade and CCI 11 primers ,is this common? Hard to get CCI 11mags.Bought 4 lbs of real BP 2F to see if this helps.Do I still need to use a felt wad to prevent patch burn through with balls or when shooting conicles?Also aquired a couple of yards of .018 pillowticking from Walmart as well.Nice country SD Blackhills,WY Yellowstone and MT.the people were very friendly and polite!Seen a ton of wild turkeys,elk,antelope, bison[rutting]and deer.Harold

cayugad 08-03-2007 04:22 PM

RE: 777 hangfires..........

If those are standard CCI caps it does not surprise me you are having trouble with hang fires. I like the CCI magnum caps but their standard caps are a joke. I even wrote CCI a letter to that effect, telling them of the problems,but they never answered me.In the inline rifles like my White and Wolverine they seem to work. In side locksI have the same problem you are describing.

My first suggestion is get some better caps. The CCI magnums work good, and so do the RWS Dynamite Noble 1075. A last choice is the Remington caps for me. Also be sure you are using a stainless steel hot shot nipple.

Make sure the nipple is good and clear before you load the rifle. Normally you can clean it with a patch on the cleaning/loading jag. In the clean barrel work the patch down to the bottom of the breech bring it up a short distance and then start to pump that jag in the barrel. You will hear air escape through the nipple. That means it is clean and clear.

If you want to shoot the Triple Se7en you could try a simple duplex with the black powder. Dump 10 grains of Black powder down the barrel first, then your triple Se7en. The black powder, with the much lower flash point will be more incline to fire off from those CCI standard caps. Also make sure you pick the nipple between shots as the caps like to leave paper. Look at the nipple some times after you shoot and you will actually see inside cap paper blocking the hole.

Hope this helps... Or you can shoot black powder until you can get somewhere and get better caps..

sabotloader 08-03-2007 04:32 PM

Pioneer2

Every thing cayugad said about the difference between #11's and #11 mags - DITTO

But I have found the most common problem with hangfires for those people that damp patch after shots is the patch is too damp and leaves moisture in or near the nipple.

Another thing I have done is switched to T7-3f in all of my sidehammers - the 3f is small enough that I can tap it out under the nipple and even on the most cold mornings get a get ignition, but I also use Dynamint Noble 1075+ #11 caps. IMO - they are the best.

CVA makes a great pipe cleaner for cleaning the flash channel on a ML also they have bristle material on them that reall cleans the channel...

Good luck...

rem 700 08-03-2007 05:16 PM

Get a hot shot nipple and shop around for mag caps!

denis1112 08-03-2007 05:53 PM

I use acetone to make sure I get all the oil out and that its drybefore I load the first tme at the range.I would use 3f 777 if my gun liked it.If it don't load 2f and take the nipple out and put some 3f under it.It will fre then.With real blackpowder you probably won't need the felt with patched roundballs,I have used felt wads with maxi-balls and other conical bullets.Magnum caps are better or you can try musket caps,definatly more fire.With real black powder # 11's work great but I would still buy #11 mags.You won't have those hang fires with real blackpowder.

frontier gander 08-03-2007 06:24 PM

Have you tried putting on a nipple that has a hollow base? Spitfire i think its called. You can get one from cabelas.

Pioneer2 08-03-2007 10:02 PM

I found some CCI 11 mags today and bought 800 of them @ $7 per 100 I can tell I'm back in Canada! Couldn't find any of them in 3 States.The powder I bought is 2F Goetz.I guess it will be a little more messy to clean but Oh well!Thanx for the help...........Harold

chaz3815 08-04-2007 06:13 AM

CCI 11 mag caps and hotshot nipple works great in my CVA Mountian , the regular cap and nipple gave me misses with 777 .
Charlie

cayugad 08-04-2007 11:16 AM

ORIGINAL: Pioneer2

I found some CCI 11 mags today and bought 800 of them @ $7 per 100 I can tell I'm back in Canada! Couldn't find any of them in 3 States.The powder I bought is 2F Goetz.I guess it will be a little more messy to clean but Oh well!Thanx for the help...........Harold
[hr]

I will guess your problems are solved. Be sure to keep us posted on the results. Also, Goex is not as dirty as people think. I compare it to Pyrodex RS. Granted it is dirty and stinks, and smokes a lot (sounds like an old neighbor of mine :D) but it will work when you need it to.