Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Inline conical shooters? >

Inline conical shooters?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Inline conical shooters?

Old 08-01-2007, 11:46 AM

Default Inline conical shooters?

To those of you who may hunt in CO (with an inline) which does not allow sabots, can you please list (for a newby) that you are having success with both in terms of accuracy (primarily) and possibly even knockdown power...

Rifle:
Bullet:
Powder/Grains:
Primer:
Results:

Not to get off subject too much, but I would like to buy an Omega, but find (and this is my #s) that it seems only about 1 in 5 or worse can get them to shoot conicals. So I'm trying to collect some real-world stats.

Thanks so much!
COElkScout
Old 08-01-2007, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Inline conical shooters?

Recommend you take a look at the Knight KRB7. ChrisW can fill you in on the particulars of that rifle, but I've found Knights to be MUCH better conical shooters than the new TCs. Certainly a White with Bull Shop conicals would be my first choice for you - but Whites are scarce.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:59 AM

Winchester X-150
90 grains pyrodex RS or 80 grains T7
385 great plains bullet
CCI primer " still have to try the T7 primers"
So far my best and most common groups are 5/8"

If you like the omega design but dont want to take a chance with it. Winchester Apex is a rifle that will shoot conicals and has the sealed primer area. The most common groups you will find are people shooting powerbelts and reporting, 1/2" , 1" or 1 1/2" groups out of their apex'.

Better come up with a rifle pretty soon, Time is starting to shorten before Sept 8th is coming up pretty fast.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:14 PM
Typical Buck

Most Omegas will shoot Powerbelts which is the only bullet that you can be sure of in that rifle that is still legal in CO. I would also go with a White if you can find one. I have been fairly successful finding them on auction sites but you have to be quick as they go fast. There is a shop in Michigan called Bob's Gun Shop that still had a used one and a couple of new Thunderbolts but they are close to $650 delivered to the best of my memory. The other rifles that were mentioned I am not familiar with so I can't help there. My Omega will shoot Heavy Powerbelts, but for elk hunting I am now concentrating on one of the new White rifles in .504 caliber that I just acquired.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:18 PM
Fork Horn

White is best! does CO require an "open" ignition area... if so White IS the way to go...

Rifle: White Super 91 .504 cal
Bullet: 495 gn concial (Bullshop is a good choice)
Powder/Grains: 85 gn
Primer: Remington cap or RWS cap
Results: Meat
Old 08-01-2007, 01:35 PM
Typical Buck

I've never shot and omega but I've heard they are hit or miss when it comes to shooting conicals. Last season, I was shooting 410 gr. conicals out of a CVA Optima with good results. With 90 gr. of 777it would print around 1.75" at 100 yards. Currently, I'm shooting the KRB and, as far as conicals go, have only shot the 385 gr. Great Plains bullets out of it. They showed promise at 50 yards, but haven't had the chance to do any 100 yard testing with that bullet or the 410 GP bullets I've got. If life will slow down a bit, I might be able to get to the range this weekend to try a few of the 410's.

I will agree with some of the others that a used White muzzleloader would be great if you can find one. They're known to be excellent conical shooters.

I'm not sure what the caliber restriction isfor huntingelk in CO, but here's and unfired White 98 Elite Hunter in .451. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=76974337
Combined with a 460 gr.No Excuses or a bigBull Shop conical, it would be quite a thumper for Elk.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:01 PM

Rifle: T/C Omega Z5
Bullet: 385gr Hornady Great Plains
Powder/Grains: Pyrodex RS 110gr
Primer: Winchester T7
Results: Around 2" at 100yds

Rifle: T/C Omega Z5, CVA Kodiak
Bullet: 350gr T/C Maxi-Hunter
Powder/Grains: Triple Se7en FFG, 100gr
Primer: Winchester T7
Results: Around 2" again

Rifle: CVA Kodiak
Bullet: 295gr Powerbelt AeroTip
Powder/Grains: Pyrodex RS 120gr
Primer: Remington
Results: Under 3" open sights
Old 08-01-2007, 02:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

COElkScoutIf you really like the Omegathe PB's and the Sabortooth usually will shoot well in them.
Omega Z5
Sabortooth 300gr
130 gr RS
209 Win
1.75 to 2 inch group @ 100yds
This is with a good scope most people can not shoot irons well enough to get under 4 inches @ 100yds;it depends on the person and how good the irons are. Lee

Old 08-01-2007, 04:36 PM

Thanks for all the great replies so far. The white definitely has a good reputation, but I've never even touched one and $600 minimum is out of my budget.

And you are right frontier... but it's Sept 15 when it starts, not the 8th... I AM running out of time. Aaargh.

Oh, and someone mentioned scopes... CO requires open sights. Which is nice actually because I don't have to buy a scope!

I almost bought an Apex, but the darn trigger assembly moved everytime I touched the trigger. They seemed to all do that. It was totally distracting. It was not nearly as tight as the Omega and did not have as good as sights. Also, the trigger on the Omega felt much better. If the darn Omega would shoot coni's... or someone could tell me I'd have a 90% chance if I just shot what they shot, I'd have already bought it.

I also like the KRB, but am not completely sold on what I and others I've talked to perceive to be the extra steps to open and load the rolling block itself. I'm trying to stay simpler. Other than that, I like it, especially because it does not require the Knight (hard to find and expensive) discs.

So you see my dilemma. I'm very close to getting a Traditions Pursuit XLT because I like the break-open action, the sights, the trigger and the thumbhole stock, but there is limited data on it shooting conicals either... that and the whole Spanish barrel thing which I'm aware of. But the Apex has a spanish barrel and guys have good luck with that and Conicals so maybe I'd be OK.

Hmmmmm... tick, tock, tick, tock...

I've been researching for about 6 months now... eeek! Anyone else have some words of wisdom??
Old 08-01-2007, 04:41 PM

Words of wisdom....... Want to borrow my x-150? lmao

Are you sure about the 15th? I looked in the regulations book and it shows for deer and elk for muzzleloading, It starts sept 8th through the 16th.

What unit you hunting?

Quick Reply: Inline conical shooters?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.