HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Traditions "Fox River"? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/199671-traditions-fox-river.html)

Semisane 07-28-2007 11:14 PM

Traditions "Fox River"?

I ran across the following advertisement locally.

Traditions Fox River Fifty muzzleloader. 50 cal with 1:48 twist. It has never been fired and has only sat in a gun case. make offer
Can't find anything in the catalogs on a Fox River model by Traditions. There was a poor quality picture with the ad. Looks like a plain jane model - half stock, slightly curved buttplate (steel?), no patchbox or metal on fore end, seems to have studs for a sling. Can't tell if the barrel is round or octogen. Kinda reminds me of a TC New Englander.

Anyone know anything about this model and/or have a guess as to its value?

frontier gander 07-28-2007 11:19 PM

RE: Traditions "Fox River"?

Ive never even heard of it. Give traditions a call monday and ask them. 860-388-4656.
I'd call the guy in the paper and see if you can set up a meeting to take a look at it then get back to him on monday after you talk to traditions.

arcticap 08-09-2007 11:48 PM

The Traditions Fox River Fifty wasoriginally soldthrough theGander Mountaincatalogabout 10 years ago, and then the model was offered through the Sportsman's Guide on close out for $89 - $99.
It's a sidelock with a24 inch barrel, 1 in 48" twist, and came in .50 & .54, and was also offeredas a youth model. It has non-adjustable sights, andhasa hooked breech & a unique front barrel attachment method. The frontsling studunscrews to release the front of the barrel instead of employinga wedge pin, and there's a curved washer directly under the stud.They camewith either a brown or black stock.
I have a youth model and it'salways hadvery reliable ignition, and it has a nicely blued lockplate.
In new condition, this model should still be worth about $100. But the accuracy is somewhat limited by the short, medium twist barrel. It's a light handyrifle that weighs about 5.5 lbs.

Semisane 08-10-2007 06:36 PM

Thanks much, arcticap. Good poop!

wabi 08-10-2007 07:11 PM

Sounds like if you can own it for less than $100. it would be too good to pass up. :D

cayugad 08-10-2007 08:10 PM

I wonder if this rifle did not later become the Panther or the Deerhunter?

Hillbilly Hicks 12-11-2020 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by arcticap (Post 2187924)
The Traditions Fox River Fifty wasoriginally soldthrough theGander Mountaincatalogabout 10 years ago, and then the model was offered through the Sportsman's Guide on close out for $89 - $99.
It's a sidelock with a24 inch barrel, 1 in 48" twist, and came in .50 & .54, and was also offeredas a youth model. It has non-adjustable sights, andhasa hooked breech & a unique front barrel attachment method. The frontsling studunscrews to release the front of the barrel instead of employinga wedge pin, and there's a curved washer directly under the stud.They camewith either a brown or black stock.
I have a youth model and it'salways hadvery reliable ignition, and it has a nicely blued lockplate.
In new condition, this model should still be worth about $100. But the accuracy is somewhat limited by the short, medium twist barrel. It's a light handyrifle that weighs about 5.5 lbs.

They also kick like a young mule, and don't let mosture get anywhere near it or it won't fire..

arcticap 12-18-2020 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Hillbilly Hicks (Post 4384942)
They also kick like a young mule, and don't let mosture get anywhere near it or it won't fire..

It's not any different than any other side lock.
Keep your powder dry and don't load more powder than needed.
There's always a slip on butt pad to cushion the recoil or wear a jacket.

GOOD OLE BOY 12-18-2020 10:17 AM

He never posted if he ever bought it over the last 13 years.