Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Idaho reconsidering??? >

Idaho reconsidering???

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Idaho reconsidering???

Old 08-16-2007, 06:10 AM

Default RE: Idaho reconsidering???

Roundball, why is a modern inline ML so much "easier" to use than a "traditional" ML. Why do they intimidate you to this level? They both use percussion caps, they are both loaded from the muzzle, and hopefully they both go off when the trigger is pulled. As it has been stated many times previously, scopes are not allowed on ML's during muzzleloader only hunts in Idaho. I honestly do not see how you think that a Hawken or whatever sidelock you like to use, is so much more challenging to shoot, its not. I don't see that using a Hawken style of weapon being any more challenging than using an inline. You must ride your horse to all your hunting sites to I'll bet. Start your fire with sticks, probably look a lot like matches. I am just tired of someone jerking around our weapon requirements all the time. It seems to me, I may be wrong on this issue, that the whole point is to give a hunter who likes a little more of a challenge, a special season, hopefully a little better season, to experience this challenge. Also, limiting range, especially in areas that are much closer to residences. I just don't get you Roundball, probably never will.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:05 PM

my tribe has been killin elk in idaho with muzzleloaders for over 25 years. the only problem we have with the new rules is that you cannot buy a new gun with a fast twist in a sidelock. tc's, dynomite nobel, clear shot, power belt
Old 08-19-2007, 08:18 PM
Fork Horn

TC Firestorm 1 in 28, Lyman Great Plains Hunter 1 in 32... get some drop in aftermarket barrels as well that are fast twist...
Old 08-19-2007, 08:23 PM
Dominant Buck

I have a stainless steel Green Mountain Barrel with a 1-28 twist that fits right into the stock of my Thompson Center Renegade. It is 28" long and seems to like its powder charges. But it is a good shooting barrel.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:08 PM

If spending a few more dollars is not a problem, then rifles such as the Kahnke's and Markesbury's look like great options for rifles that meet current Idaho muzzleloader regulations. I have a buddy that out of pure principle, has built up a T/C .50 Hawken with a Green Mountain barrel and he swears that this gun is actually more accurate than his inline. Thats what makes these muzzleloader regulations so ridiculous. I also hope that if someone wants to shoot balls out of their muzzleloader, they actually shoot a muzzleloader designed for them, say something with a 1 in 66" twist, and long barrel. Have personally seen, on elk, not so much on deer, many animals wounded and not found.If I was going to outlaw something it would not be sabot rounds but roundballs. I guess the shoot and release crowd is alive andactive in our lobby here in Idaho.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:22 PM

Think again, Round balls are what tamed this country, Not sabots. Round balls took buffalo LONG before the sharpes rifle ever came out. With any bullet you are using, you have to know its range limits.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:45 PM
Typical Buck

Don't forget about the RMC and Traditions magnum flintlocks with fast twist barrels and 3 pellet rating. Some of the newest flint and sidelock offerings are rated for higher powder charges than are many of the older inlines.

So whats it going to be, we gona regulate muzzleloaders based on appearance or performance??