Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Idaho reconsidering??? >

Idaho reconsidering???

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Idaho reconsidering???

Old 07-29-2007, 05:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Idaho reconsidering???

Game, set and match to Cayugad!!!!
Old 07-29-2007, 07:34 AM

Well Cay, I have an opinion and theright to voice it so any personal attack statements are wasted on me.

And I'm sorry to say that your responses are the typical defensive mantra of those who want to continue using high performance inlines in the originally establshed traditional seasons...plus, to be clear,putting your textin red color doesn't make your opinion any more correct than anyone elses .

Here's a simple question, the answer to which is completely revealing:

What is the percentageof inline shooters whobought inlines for the purpose of setting aside their centerfire firearms to use their inlines throughout the entire firearms seasons, and not just the previously established muzzleloader seasons?
Old 07-29-2007, 08:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

roundball

What is the percentageof inline shooters whobought inlines for the purpose of setting aside their centerfire firearms to use their inlines throughout the entire firearms seasons, and not just the previously established muzzleloader seasons?
Personally I do not know, but I do - have not used a centerfire in years, and for that matter there are several populated states in the east a ML or shotgun is all you can use so their % is pretty high. You might be surrised at the %

The state of Washington does not allow scopes on their ML's either as it use to be in Idaho.

Old 07-29-2007, 09:48 AM

Cayugad, you are right on! Fortunately in AR they have used a bit of reason about ML seasons of late. Must load by the muzzle . . . period.

If they want to make a additional "Traditional" season that only allows open sights and flintlock, or matchlock ignition, or smooth bore for that matter, that's fine with me. They used to allow only 1X scopes in AR, but now that restriction is removed as well.

With my age and advanced state of presbyopia a gun without a scope is about as useful as a duck in a cock fight. That is one of the reasons I recently bought my Savage ML10. Just couldn't see those open sights on my percussion sidelock and couldn't see spending the money to put scope mounts on that rifle.

I intend to use my Savage muzzleloader during the whole deer season, not only the ML part, but that is my choice and I don't bad mouth those who use their 7mm mag or M16 instead. That is the key. Unless we who want to use firearms are united the anti-gun nuts will get enough support to eliminate all gun use, not just the "other guy's sport".
Old 07-29-2007, 09:58 AM
Dominant Buck

I could not agree more that you have the right to your opinion and I will defend that right of yours to the bitter end. Whether I support it so a few can benefit over the many is another story. Also it was not so much a personal attach to you as it was showing the holes in your logic.

And I'm sorry to say that your responses are the typical defensive mantra of those who want to continue using high performance inlines in the originally establshed traditional seasons...plus, to be clear,putting your textin red color doesn't make your opinion any more correct than anyone elses .
Nothing typical about the truth. It's just that, the truth. Your statistics were without merit. And your claims, while a few might actually fall into some of the category, were no where near the overall mass of inline shooters. You continue to spout high performance a lot when you know good and well that the majority of inline shoots do not shoot max loads. The loads they shoot are not mild by any means, they just get the job done with the best accuracy possible. And again you imply that inlines are taking over originally established traditional seasons. Here's your catch word. "traditional seasons." If it were a traditional season, inlines would not be permitted. States that want to reformat their current "traditional" seasons to allow inlines do so for a number of reasons. Game management, hunting fee collections, and fairness to all that want to enjoy the hunting outdoors.

If all the deer in Wisconsin were reduced to a point that the STATE determined in the best interest of the herd, muzzleloading season would be limited to traditional only weapons, I personally would not have a problem with that. I am sure a couple hundred thousand other Wisconsin hunters might though. And I guess you have to decide, do I support what is best for me or best for all. You be the judge.

The reason I put my text in red was when I originally answered your post, I was basically working off your first draft. To keep my part of the argument straight, and to help the reader follow the logic of the argument, I colorized the text to make it easier to read. Some people have trouble following large texts. I know I have gave up on a few myself. In no way was I trying to place an importance of my words over yours by color. Only trying to help the read follow the train of thought.

What is the percentageof inline shooters whobought inlines for the purpose of setting aside their center fire firearms to use their inlines throughout the entire firearms seasons, and not just the previously established muzzleloader seasons?
What is the percentage of inline shooters who bought inlines and no longer use their center fires??? This is a trick question, right? I can't make a percentage guesstimation as that is stating statistics without any merit to them. Also I have no way of knowing that information as I do not on a regular basis visit every hunter in Wisconsin and ask them these all important questions.

Secondly, who cares? If it is modern season and they want to hunt with a center fire, that is legal last time I looked. In Wisconsin many inline hunters hunt the modern season because some areas due to different geographical oddities, are shotgun and muzzleloader only. They find a benefit over a 100-150 yard muzzleloader to a 100 yard shotgun slug.

Here's a simple question for you. What percentage of traditional shooters use their traditional rifles for all seasons. I am sure you do. But because a traditional shooter decided to use a center fire rifle in modern season, does that make him less traditional?

That is a question neither you nor I can answer and you know it. Your reason to post that was to I believe inflict the idea that center fires and inlines are equal. Which they are not. The offer still stands. Use any of my inlines, meet me on the range. I will have my Remington Woodsmaster semi automatic 30-06 and I will show you what a center fire rifle can really do at some outstanding ranges. Or if you like I will bring my 7mm mag and show you long distance that very few, I would guess inline muzzleloader could match.

Well Cay, I have an opinion and theright to voice it so any personal attack statements are wasted on me.
Well said, and as I mentioned it was not a personal attack on you, only the logic you tried to display to make your point. Never met you, sure your a great person.

Also this will end all of this extreme posting on my part. You know how I feel about the issue. So I invite all to let it die, work together for the sake of all, and enjoy the sport.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Semisane

Consider this???

Well, young fella (I assume you're young because of the level of intolerance you display), I built my first muzzle loader in 1961 at the age of 17. In my younger days I've killed enough ducks, doves and quailwith an original English 14 gauge precussion double, and enough rabbits with that first 40 caliber caplock I built, to satisfy myself that I know what traditional hunting is all about. I sure do like it. I also like a recurve bow, a compound bow, a 42 caliber Blackhawk revolver, single shot 25-06, an in-line, a side-hammer, and an underhammer.

So let me tell ya - I don't have my "personal defense all lined up." What I do have is an open mind and a personal opinion that everybody ought to be able to do what makes them smile. There ought to be one hunting season for all, and everyone can use whatever weapon theyfeel like using that day. States ought to manage the harvest - not the hunting style.

Well, that's my opinion. You can have a different one - that's OK with me.

Semisane....I think that is one of the best posts I've read in a long time. It truly says it all!
Old 07-29-2007, 06:16 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: roundball

Well, roundball... here is one who has not hunted with a centerfire or a slug gun for 6 years...

I have used a "high-tech" White conical thrower mainly, I have also hunted with a Knight, Austin & Halleck (my firts ML), and this last year a couple of times with a Savage 10MLII... my daughter hunts with a "high-tech" White as well. I have never hunted with more than 125gns of powder ever... in fact I have done more hunting with 85gns of 777 2f and a 495gn conical than any other load. Why? Because they are accurate... oh, all are/were scoped and were used in every season I could carry them in here in IL. Why? Because they are more accurate than a slug gun... I even take my ML's to hunt with in AL when I go to visit family when I could use my .243...

I heard a quote today and it went something like this... Often wrong but never in doubt.

That about sums it up... couldn't help thinking of gander and roundball when I heard that.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:25 PM

My opinion is my right. wheather you or anyone else like doesnt matter. Ive had my inline scoped, shot sabots and to be honest, it was boring so i took the scope off and ditched the sabots. Ive just swapped over to traditional sidelock and flintlock and enjoy it more. A lot more actually. Do i still enjoy shooting my inline? Sure do.

As for my standing on idaho wanting to switch to traditional muzzleloaders, I think its a fine idea. Nothing wrong with bringing back something that has been lost. But again, thats just my Expert opinion
Shoot what ever you want. I shoot both, but my sweet spot has shifted over to my flintlocks. Aint nothing wrong when a traditional muzzleloader shoots as accurate as a scoped inline. Inlines just no longer "turn me on"

You dont go to a chevy mechanic asking for advice on a ford.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:01 PM

Boyz, this is what made it so appealing to this newbie. With muzzleloading, you have so many varieties and options.

Besides, when I am in the woods, I don't care what the guy next to me choice is. All I ask is he is safe. Happy hunting to all!
Old 07-30-2007, 08:57 AM
Fork Horn

FG
Shame on you for the way you talk to your elders, These guys have forgot more than you will ever know.
Redclub

Quick Reply: Idaho reconsidering???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.